Jay & Miles by ColumbusGuy

Chapter 21, tentatively called 'Lessons' is at 3500 words so far, maybe half done depending on how much Jay and Miles want to talk. It's Monday, the day after the Big Weekend of the Mall visit and dinner with both Jay's and Miles' parents on separate consecutive nights.

With luck, posting tonight or tomorrow--due to me rather than anything Gary does--he's always great!

• Like 3

Not so far, but it's not lunch time yet. :)

Alas, got sidetracked making a map of the school, and class schedules for JM...I am SO anal retentive--but it will help with school posts.

Just one little item to tease you guys: the first bit Gary read, about half the size it is now, made him cry.

• Like 3

Not so far, but it's not lunch time yet. :)

Alas, got sidetracked making a map of the school, and class schedules for JM...I am SO anal retentive--but it will help with school posts.

Just one little item to tease you guys: the first bit Gary read, about half the size it is now, made him cry.

Yeah, it did... :read::,(

• Like 2

Damn...added 3k more words overnight, and it's not done yet...'Lessons' IS the title now, lots going on but haven't hit a place to end without it being a cliffie, which I don't like to do often. I'll just say one thing about this chapter 21--we meet a new character.

I thought I really f-ed up early this morning, but G-Man said no, and offered a couple ways to make it flow better--and he heartily approves of it so far....

AAt least that means he only has to proof the new stuff when I finally send it to him. :)

• Like 3

For those who need help, here's the school map and class schedule:

Classes

One little error--the gym section is a bit short--it should have extended  west to line up with the classroom bit, but it was a major pain to get this far. :o

Right Click to see them in a new tab in larger size.

Edited by ColumbusGuy
  • Like 1

Chapter 21 is posted...Gary liked the final part, so no editing was necessary--until I got the damned thing into the text box! Despite the settings in my processor program, I had to remove extra spaces between paragraphs, and put the indentations for each paragraph's first line manually!

WTF is going on?  Hope you like it!

• Like 1

I just read your reviews for the new chapter. Funny enough, when Miles' dad says he's had to be away for a secret reason, my mind immediately went to cold-war shenanigans, rather than private running around. Did central Ohio have 'vital defense' facilities? I know Dayton has Wright-Patterson Airfield...

• Like 1

That's so funny!  It never occurred to me you'd think that AC! Oddly enough, Columbus was a good target for Soviet missiles thanks to several places: North American Rockwell built things for jets and other vital defense products, and there was also Western Electric, a huge thing called the Defense Construction Supply Center which I think is still important to the Department of Defense.

Living east of Columbus less than 50 miles away, with the prevailing winds, we'd have been toast also from fallout. I'd say Columbus was marked for more than one nuke back then...and our ranch didn't have a basement.

Chapter 22 is brewing and working its way down to my fingers....

• Like 1

He probably was doing that, none of my older sisters went to college...I also had financial aid through various programs, but no scholarships...it took about 15 years to pay off my loans. :)

I'm torn with the college aspect which could be a sequel--I didn't go to OSU, but rather a private college in my county which meant I saved a ton on expenses since I could stay at home.  Do they boys go to OSU in the end, or the school I have first-hand experience of? OSU is where Dave and Trebor go, and I could see the four living together off campus.

• Like 1

My thought on Mikey's dad working so much, was that he is possibly stockpiling money for Mikey's college... one of the ways that dads showed their love back then... providing...

He could be doing that, but why the need to keep it a secret for a year? He could have just told him it was for his college fund, right? My immediate thought was the parents were going to divorce once Mikey moved out for college.

Edited by LitLover
  • Like 3

The thing I liked most about the 'cold war' idea was how close it was to truth--my mom's dad worked at North American Rockwell for years as an engineer, and one of my sisters worked at Western Electric's electronics division. What surprised me most to find that out was that my grandfather started out working in the mines of Kentucky and went on to do engineering...it was smoking and Black Lung from the mines which did him in around 1965 when I was seven.

I never knew my dad's parents, his mom died in a trainwreck in '47, and his dad when I was about 3 months old.  He was a farmer like all his ancestors.

I wish I could give a hint about what's going on, maybe in future chapters clues will appear, but it's too soon for now.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Chapter 22 is moving again, doubled my word count yesterday evening, and am picking up again...school day is at the lunch point, and only two periods left before J and M go to Jay's to 'study'. :)

Maybe some drama coming up...maybe not. :X

• Like 3

Chapter 22 is moving again, doubled my word count yesterday evening, and am picking up again...school day is at the lunch point, and only two periods left before J and M go to Jay's to 'study'. :)

Drama?? :o Drama between Jay and Mikey? Drama from homophobes? It's high school there is so many possibilities for drama :lol:

• Like 2

What I've read so far is great!

• Like 2

Some marathon writing during the night... :)

Chapter 22 is at about 3100 words, and is maybe half done--Gary is checking it to see if I've screwed it up so far...it may be too dramatic.

:X

Returned, Buddy...

• Like 1

I thought we'd lost you for a bit, since you weren't around for a day or so--I forget that there is real life out there. :)

I'm sorry my chapters aren't posted faster--I get them up as soon as they're done...I writing this thing on the fly rather than having some stored up. It's a race between my imagination and your reading speed--I hope to stay ahead a bit.

I thought we'd lost you for a bit, since you weren't around for a day or so--I forget that there is real life out there. :)

I'm sorry my chapters aren't posted faster--I get them up as soon as they're done...I writing this thing on the fly rather than having some stored up. It's a race between my imagination and your reading speed--I hope to stay ahead a bit.

Hey don't apologize. The story and writing are good so you must be doing something right. Don't fix what isn't broke as they say :)

And yeah - life and a leaky basement got in the way for a bit.

• Like 3