Jay & Miles by ColumbusGuy

It worked on flat surfaces, but I don't know about books, didn't think to ask because I was a bit shocked at getting this free.  :)

Now I need to figure out Chapter 54...continue Jay or switch to Mikey?  And what were the other guys up to at the drive-in....

• Like 3

...I...what... ... I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear that since I can't get over there to light a bonfire on your stoop!  :P

Do you know who you're talking to?  A guy who's collected books his whole life, and has probably 7,000?  Literature, history, sci-fi, science...the complete Arabian Nights in sixteen volumes...A facsimile edition of Chaucer's works...and my latest was a gift from Palantir--a signed edition of his novel 'Mparntwe' which hold pride of place?  :P

People would be surprised what books I'd consider burning if it came down to that...right after legal and tax books, would be what most consider 'gospel truth'....  And before people howl in outrage, I've read most of them entirely, and I wouldn't burn them for content, but rather the misguided uses to which they are put to promote intolerance, bigotry and hatred.

Some beautiful ideas in them, but those who ascribe them to God rather than the best parts of Man are as deluded as those who believe that Aliens built the Pyramids, or think that the ancient world could not do what they so obviously did by themselves.  Ancient people were not stupid, they made maximum and efficient use of resources at their disposal and found better ways to do things because their goals were not limited to the short-term...they thought in projects years or decades in length if the end result was worth it.  And we are finding hints of higher tech every year that proves they could solve problems in innovative ways.  Namely, stone saws for cutting multiple sheets from one stone, and Roman water mills that could produce enough flour for an entire city using a chain of water mills.

I think there are likely aliens out there with the thousands of worlds we're finding, but why in hell would they want to visit, or help, or breed with us?!  More earth-centric claptrap if you ask me.  Scientific curiosity for a short time, then they leave because we're boring...whether they were here in the past or now...no reason to stick around unless they're playing with our heads--which might mean they're viewing us as pets or something.  :)

Edited by ColumbusGuy
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

That’s great CG.. Although, I still get a headache when I see Chaucer. For me he was so difficult, and his work was mandatory.. 

PS: the aliens would run.  We would be begging them to take us I think! 😏

Edited by Defiance19
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Defiance19 said:

That’s great CG.. Although, I still get a headache when I see Chaucer. For me he was so difficult, and his work was mandatory.. 

PS: the aliens would run.  We would be begging them to take us I think! 😏

See Def, I'm weird...that's the primary thing to remember about me.  I got Robinson's edition of Chaucer in the original in 10th grade, and was reading it for ages.  I preferred it to a lot of the Shakespeare we had to do--at least he could tell a dirty story.  My favorite Bard plays were the comedies rather than the boring historical ones...I'll take Taming of The Shrew over Henry V any day, though I admit I prefer the movie version of Romeo & Juliet with Leonard Whiting.

Aliens would definitely run if they had any sense, and I have to laugh at the SETI people who are searching the heavens for radio signals from the stars--I'm sure there are others out there, and if they're more advanced, then surely they've found something faster that isn't limited to the speed of light, which has imprisoned our brains since Einstein created his theory.  It may not be Star Trek subspace or whatever, but these guys think that a civilization thousands of years ahead of us would use radio or lasers to cover parsecs of space?  My sides hurt from laughing.  If anyone out there IS using radio, they have to be around our level, which means we may as well not find them except to exchange messages.

We now think life may exist here at home on some moons, or maybe even Mars, so why not out there...and I think it's also earth-centric to think our type is the only one possible.  Water might be the best solvent in our chemistry, but life could be using other things in different environments that we think impossible.  Look at the different places we are finding it here on our own planet, where a few decades ago we thought it wouldn't exist.

Soapbox is put away.  :) 

Oh, one more alien thing--why is it always redneck guys who get anal probes?  What is really going on in the backs of pickup trucks out in the woods that they don't want to admit?  Do I smell the scent of mothballs in that closet?

If they ARE anal probing people, I want the video...in stereo and hi-def!

Edited by ColumbusGuy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, ColumbusGuy said:

Doctor's appointment went great.  About two hours, and I came home with a bag of new tech.  And I'll be getting some new glasses mainly for reading that won't cost me anything when I said I have no secondary insurance.  The Low-Vision Clinic is linked to some groups that supply things for people in my circumstances, though the designs aren't the full range you'd find at an optician's store, she found ones very close to the style I have now in metal frames.

The new tech she gave me is an older model of something used to read mail and other stuff via a camera and screen, called a CCTV reader.  New ones you can pay between $200-$3,000 for.  She had a new one in her office which had me reading something she put under the camera which I wouldn't have been able to do with my own eyes as the text in most mail is too small, and the white background blurs out the text.  This thing you can magnify the text size as you move it on the page, and you can choose different contrasts--including white text on black for the display, which was perfect!  She set the older one up to test it, and showed me how it worked, and said she had kept it around because it worked fine even if it wasn't as slick as the new ones, and she hoped she'd find someone who could use it.  That was me!  I think it can be hooked up to a television if you want, or perhaps a computer, but she's not positive about that.  It comes with it's own screen about 15 inches across, which worked for me, so not sure if I'll try hooking it up differently.  Need to ask my local pc guru Mike about that, since the big one Derik is in California.  :)

:D   Awesome, buddy :hug: There are so many good people in  this world.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, ColumbusGuy said:

See Def, I'm weird...that's the primary thing to remember about me.  I got Robinson's edition of Chaucer in the original in 10th grade, and was reading it for ages.  I preferred it to a lot of the Shakespeare we had to do--at least he could tell a dirty story.  My favorite Bard plays were the comedies rather than the boring historical ones...I'll take Taming of The Shrew over Henry V any day, though I admit I prefer the movie version of Romeo & Juliet with Leonard Whiting.

Aliens would definitely run if they had any sense, and I have to laugh at the SETI people who are searching the heavens for radio signals from the stars--I'm sure there are others out there, and if they're more advanced, then surely they've found something faster that isn't limited to the speed of light, which has imprisoned our brains since Einstein created his theory.  It may not be Star Trek subspace or whatever, but these guys think that a civilization thousands of years ahead of us would use radio or lasers to cover parsecs of space?  My sides hurt from laughing.  If anyone out there IS using radio, they have to be around our level, which means we may as well not find them except to exchange messages.

We now think life may exist here at home on some moons, or maybe even Mars, so why not out there...and I think it's also earth-centric to think our type is the only one possible.  Water might be the best solvent in our chemistry, but life could be using other things in different environments that we think impossible.  Look at the different places we are finding it here on our own planet, where a few decades ago we thought it wouldn't exist.

Soapbox is put away.  :) 

Oh, one more alien thing--why is it always redneck guys who get anal probes?  What is really going on in the backs of pickup trucks out in the woods that they don't want to admit?  Do I smell the scent of mothballs in that closet?

If they ARE anal probing people, I want the video...in stereo and hi-def!

I just love you, buddy... you have an amazing mind to go with an amazing heart. :heart:  Thanks for making me laugh :) 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Dang, it's Saturday...that means OSU football--I hope it's away!  Traffic, yelling, you can hear some of the crap from the speakers at the Stadium which is three streets down and about twelve blocks away!   Wonder if there'll be an accident at my corner today?  The street in front is two-way, but my cross street is one direction, and it jogs about twenty-five feet to the south at my corner, so people will often just charge out and get nailed by cars they didn't bother to check for.  Last week, some bozo did that, and had the good(?) fortune to hit a police cruiser!  I wanted to laugh my ass off.  :)   The good thing is that almost none of these involve injuries.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
11 minutes ago, Headstall said:

I just love you, buddy... you have an amazing mind to go with an amazing heart. :heart:  Thanks for making me laugh :) 

Just call me Mary Poppins--no, wait--don't!  I love learning and thinking about new things, and never understood why it couldn't be fun as well as informative.  'Spoonful of sugar, and all that, what?'  I'm slowed down now, but I watch tons of documentaries and am easily sidetracked when I look up something for a story, often into unrelated things.

Okay, where'd I put that damn umbrella....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
9 minutes ago, ColumbusGuy said:

Just call me Mary Poppins--no, wait--don't!  I love learning and thinking about new things, and never understood why it couldn't be fun as well as informative.  'Spoonful of sugar, and all that, what?'  I'm slowed down now, but I watch tons of documentaries and am easily sidetracked when I look up something for a story, often into unrelated things.

Okay, where'd I put that damn umbrella....

It's behind you, Mary :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
5 hours ago, Defiance19 said:

I laughed, but I also cringed in horror at ripping out pages in a book.. I know you didn’t mean it Tim... :P 

5 hours ago, ColumbusGuy said:

...I...what... ... I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear that since I can't get over there to light a bonfire on your stoop!  :P

Do you know who you're talking to?  A guy who's collected books his whole life, and has probably 7,000? 

Well, if the alternative is never reading them again, desperate measures could be needed. But I suppose you could get someone to photocopy the pages instead, if you can't get the book to lie flat. :) 

Oh, and I have a whole wall of books, which I've read over and over again till some of them are falling apart.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

Well, if the alternative is never reading them again, desperate measures could be needed. But I suppose you could get someone to photocopy the pages instead, if you can't get the book to lie flat. :) 

Oh, and I have a whole wall of books, which I've read over and over again till some of them are falling apart.

I can sometimes find older books at internet sites to download, or get them from Amazon for the Kindle app they have, but that means I have to know what I'm looking for, and my major fun was just walking into the store and park myself in a section and seeing what grabbed my interest.  I could spend hours doing that.  The store I liked the best on campus had half a wall of sci-fi and fantasy, and I'd go through it until I found something I didn't have, then go to the history section, and maybe literature.  Sucks I can't do that anymore.  Maybe it's lucky that most of the authors I read most are dead now?  :*)

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
5 hours ago, ColumbusGuy said:

If anyone out there IS using radio, they have to be around our level, which means we may as well not find them except to exchange messages.

Don't forget, with the speed of light and how many years their radio signals took to get here their science may have evolved (or their civilization became extinct) and by the time our message may take to get back we or they may have FTL drives and beat the radio messages. 

PS cheers for a great medical checkup!!!!

Edited by glennish
  • Like 3
  • Wow 1

Those are good points, glennish, I'll lay money on US being extinct if the turn-around is too great.  Whether by climate, nuclear war (less likely now) or insanity from terrorists either external or internal, I doubt the USA will be around, let alone as a world leader.  It's like the old Tom Lehrer song 'Wernher von Braun'...perhaps we should be learning Chinese?

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just a quick note.  What with the Thanksgiving holiday, some real life things I needed to get done on the house, and some dental appointments, Jay and Miles Chapter 54 isn't done yet...but it's moving along now, and I hope it'll be done in the coming week.  So far, all I can say is this: it's one POV at this point, and may wind up staying that way.  Otherwise,  :X

On a side note--I HATE SNOW....

Edited by ColumbusGuy
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ColumbusGuy said:

Just a quick note.  What with the Thanksgiving holiday, some real life things I needed to get done on the house, and some dental appointments, Jay and Miles Chapter 54 isn't done yet...but it's moving along now, and I hope it'll be done in the coming week.  So far, all I can say is this: it's one POV at this point, and may wind up staying that way.  Otherwise,  :X

On a side note--I HATE SNOW....

I only like snow for the first three minutes, and then I'm over it :)  xoxo

• Like 2
  • Haha 2