Jay & Miles by ColumbusGuy

I posted what you said in your post about the improvements in your vision in the COTT forum too, CG... I really enjoyed our three hour conversation :)  . You're a good man and a good friend... don't forget to throw out that chocolate and make sure you check your blood sugar... :pissed:

• Like 3

All right CG,  Gary dropped the dime on you :).  I assume with the chocolate and blood sugar comment that you are diabetic...  I am too.  I have been for 35+ years and, knock on wood, I am doing very well even tho I was not very good at monitoring it in my 20's and 30's.  You are not much older than I am, so I don't want to hear about you sliding down hill medically.  PLEASE, monitor and control the blood sugar levels as best as you can.  We want you around a long time.  The complications of neglecting yourself are not good nor are they pleasant.  Anyway, great news on the eye thing and my best wishes and hopes to you for a rapid and full recovery.

Rob

• Like 3

Thanks Rob, I've been diabetic for about fifteen years, and am much better at watching my diet now than I was initially.  Chocolate is a very hard habit to break, and I'm glad to say that over time I've cut way back on it, but an occasional piece will sneak into my house.  Far less than when I first found out.

All my readings were off before Monday's surgery, I wasn't able to do any meds since I couldn't eat or drink anything after midnight, and that included my morning insulin, which I need to eat a little with, and no blood pressure pill either.  I had been stressing all weekend because I didn't know when to show up for my surgery since no one called me on Thursday, and Friday was Armistice Day.

When I had colon surgery two and a half years ago, they said I should have my eyes checked, but didn't say why--if they'd said a word about suspecting cataracts, I'd have been on it like a shot--but since they didn't, I assumed it was for a regular exam.  I'm not fond of doctors, so put it off, so I'm angry at both those doctors and myself.  :(

Working on the next chapter, so I guess I'll stick around for a while yet...never fear.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay, huge apology for not keeping you guys updated!  Stuff's been going on which I had to straighten out, and then some very naughty people wrote chapters I just HAD to read--You know who you are--but I'm finally caught up.

I'm about half done with Chapter 47, and it's 3,000 words so far.  I'm hoping to submit it to G-Man soon, so we'll see what's left when his axe comes out.  On the bright side, I'm able to do some of the basic stuff again, so his task might be a little easier now--but I still give him carte blanche to do whatever he wants.

Got another doctor visit on the 21st, just routine follow up, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Got freakin' snow now...never good for a guy with arthritis in both knees, but I have no clue where my Handsome Prince is who will whisk me off to a land of perpetual sun and warmth....

• Like 1

Just found a review by Geron that I'd missed for Chapter 32, and when I read the chapter to refresh my memory, I found that one of the pictures was gone, replaced by the link text--it had gone from the internet, so I had to find a similar picture to put in it's place!

Here's the deal--if you spot any places where the pic is gone, leaving only the link text--PLEASE TELL ME!  All the pictures are what I consider intrinsic to the story or provide atmosphere, and I feel my work loses impact without them.  So if you see this happen, post the Chapter and the paragraph it's associated with here.

Thanks!

• Like 2

Thanks Rob--I'm doing my eye drops on schedule and watching my diet more...and in between reading I've managed to put down some words of my own...Chapter 47 is up to 3600 now, and just finished the second section--I'm thinking one more to go in this one.

Checked the first fifteen chapters to see if there were any missing pictures--none that I could tell, so far anyway.  Who knows when something on the internet will disappear?  I'm seriously thinking of copying the harder ones onto my pc in case that happens, like Mikey's car in chapter 3--I have one of it somewhere as a paper original in my old drive-way, but no way to copy it on here. 

Meds time, and snack too....

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note to let you know that Gary now has the latest chapter of Jay & Miles!!

Unbelievable I know, but true--a marathon of writing finished it off around noon, and it has about 7100 words right now...but that can chance once Gary makes his alterations.  I confess to there being a couple spots which could have used clarification...one of them a sports reference, which left me mystified.

Chop away, G-Man!

• Like 2

Just a quick note to let you know that Gary now has the latest chapter of Jay & Miles!!

Unbelievable I know, but true--a marathon of writing finished it off around noon, and it has about 7100 words right now...but that can chance once Gary makes his alterations.  I confess to there being a couple spots which could have used clarification...one of them a sports reference, which left me mystified.

Chop away, G-Man!

Done and returned, buddy... great chapter, my friend xo

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a quick note:  I've started Chapter 48!

Also, I'm adding POV notices at the top of each chapter--I'm almost half done with that--do you think I need to do it for ones where only one person is giving his view?  The early ones are almost all from one viewpoint.

• Like 2

Also, I'm adding POV notices at the top of each chapter--I'm almost half done with that--do you think I need to do it for ones where only one person is giving his view?  The early ones are almost all from one viewpoint.

Nope... not necessary at all :)

• Like 1

Nope... not necessary at all :)

I agree with Batman. Robin ;)

• Like 2

Doubled the word count of Chapter 48...it's moving along day by day.

Every chapter now has the points of view at the beginning--hope that helps my readers!  The debate over not doing it for the ones with only one 'speaker' was welcome, but when I saw that some chapters with multiple sections also had only one 'speaker', I went ahead and did it for all of them, even the short ones at the beginning of the story.  When you've done it for forty chapters already, what's a couple more even if they're under 1500 words?  :D

Poor Nifty readers--they only have this for the latest chapters--it's too hard to change things there, and I always put a note referring them back here to see the pictures Nifty doesn't support.  Speaking of which, I found another one gone, and replaced it--no clue what was up, the replacement is from the same site and looks identical to me!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a note: Chapter 48 is growing!  So far this evening, I've tripled the word count, and it seems to be flowing better than it has the last few days.

I have another doctor's visit on Wednesday, just routine, and I think it'll continue to be good news, so she said last time that they could be spaced farther apart if that's still the case.

More later--back to the computerized grindstone.  :D

• Like 3

We'll keep our fingers crossed for Wednesday. I'm so glad to hear your writing is going well. Perhaps the same muse visited both of us, since I'm almost done with a chapter for each of my two CC stories. And I might get inspired by Friday's prompt for some Rob and Jasper fun. :D

No, not that kind of fun ! :lol:

It would be great to have some new pieces by you--though it will distract me from my own!  Section 1 is done for my chapter, and it's on two the second POV.  So far, I'm at 2k.

Darn--it's been a while for Rob to have fun, and Jasper would be oh-so-helpful!  :D  :blushing:

• Like 1

Here's an updated form of the characters in the story.  There are a few new ones.

The Boys
Miles Stevenson:
     17, 6'2" dark-brown wavy med. hair, hazel-brown eyes, glasses,
     lightly muscled, good legs. Shy, pale. Lonely. 8.25 thickish straight.
Jay Beckel:
     17, golden-blond, cornflower eyes, delicate features, pert nose.
     5'8", farm muscles. Open, caring and friendly. 7.25 thin upcurve.

Jay's Family
Jerry Beckel:
     white-blond, blue eyes, muscular, 20, 6'2", tanned, friendly
     but quiet.
Linda Beckel:
     honey-blonde, brown eyes, delicate face. 18, 5'11", average build.
     Self-absorbed, smart.
Dirck Beckel:
     46, whitish-blond, brown eyes, 6'3", broad, muscular, tanned.
     Prankster. Fair.
Rosalie Beckel:
     44, golden-blonde, blue eyes, 5'7", rundig, but not fat. Caring
     and compassionate.
                         Jay's Grandparents
Karl Beckel+Edith Storgaard-Dirck's parents:
     Children: Willem (dec), Katrin, Dirck, Eskil (dec), Marit, Mikkel*
Marius Voss+Sigrid Vinther-Rosalie's parents:
     Children: Valther, Rosalie, Annelise, Matthias

Miles' Family
Anne Stevenson-M's mom-store clerk, Ky. 44, 5'10", plump,
     black hair, brown eyes.
Henry Stevenson-M's dad-dairy driver, Ohio. 56, greyish hair,
     blue eyes, tan. 6'4", fit.
Children: Ellen, Andrea, Leah, Miles
Uncle Eddie+Aunt Donna-Sheila
Aunt Cathy+Uncle Clark-Sam, Fred and Joe
Aunt Jean+Uncle Jack-Mark, Larry, Abe and Rick

At School
Greg 'Kurt' Newton:
     17, tawny red hair, blue eyes, freckles, 6', average build. Quiet,
     but not shy. GB; 7.75.
Jefferson Davis Newton:
     Greg's brother, 16, 6'2, average build, light brownish-red hair,
     green eyes, into basketball, 10th Grade; Singer. 7.5".
Jackson 'Lee' Newton:
     Greg's other brother, 14, 5'8, strawberry-blond hair, hazel
      eyes, thin, glasses. 8th Grader. PsSinger; A little hyper. 6".
Eric/Derik Sommers:
     twins, 17, reddish-brown hair, nerdy.
Kevin Sommers:
     17, fiery red hair, pale, green eyes, buff. Twins' cousin.
Denny Watson:
     sandy-brown curly hair, grey eyes, runner, 5'11, a bit shy, big
     ears. PHF; Kurt's interest. 7.5".
Ben Ross:
     17, black hair, green eyes, 6'2, 210 lbs, all muscle. Wrestler. 7".
Finn Ross:
     15, 6' tall, toned, black hair, light-green eyes, freckles. 6.5".
Calvin Schuyler:
     17, 5'10", 175 lbs., long blond hair, green eyes, nice muscles,
      swimmer, loner. 7" v thick.
Timmy Zane:
      18, 5'11, 175, stocky, bully, football; brown hair & eyes. 5.5.

Parents:
James/Harriet Newton-Greg's. Reddish hair, early 40s
Lisbet Schuyler-Cal's grandma, 60s, grey/brown hair
Owain/Beverly Watson-Denny's. 50s.
Sean/Paula Ross-Benny's. early 40s.

SISTERS
Greg: Alice, 13; Penny, 11. 7th and 5th grades.
Ben: Kate, 18, OSU.  

At OSU
Dave Mendoza:
     black hair, brown eyes, 18, Miwok Indian, 5'10", medium
     build. OSU, Redwood City, CA-Everest Public High
Trebor Maciver:
     red hair, freckles, grey eyes, 18, medium build, 6'. OSU,
     Redwood City, CA-Summit Prep.

Bill Adams: 
    16, 5'10", 165, dark hair, blue eyes. Sophomore Reynoldsburg High School, works at Pizza Hut.

*Mikkel Beckel:

Jay's uncle, a teacher at West Hill, Ontario, 35, strawberry-blond hair, blue eyes, 6'3, partner to

Sam Blyth:

Mechanic in West Hill.  Former logger from New Brunswick. 36, light-brown hair, green eyes, 6'.           

Edited by ColumbusGuy
  • Like 2

Just a quick update--doctor tomorrow, should go okay, I think.

Chapter 48 just doubled in size again--it's up to 3k words, and is going great.  I'd guess a little more than half done.

Good luck, buddy xoxoxo

• Like 1

Good news, everybody!  (Sorry Dr. Farnsworth!)

I just finished Chapter 48, and am sending it to G-Man even now...pre-axe, it's about 7300 words...could wind up more or less depending on any changes.

I'll post it as soon as he has time to look it over!

• Like 2

Good news, everybody!  (Sorry Dr. Farnsworth!)

I just finished Chapter 48, and am sending it to G-Man even now...pre-axe, it's about 7300 words...could wind up more or less depending on any changes.

I'll post it as soon as he has time to look it over!

My part is done... another great chapter for you all to feast on.

• Like 2

Well, I guess some parts were sticky...but Gary cut up some of my insanely long paragraphs, and probably sentences too.  Somehow the thing came out a bit longer, but I couldn't spot any big changes.  :)

I just saw all my italics are gone, which I don't get...I'm wondering if I should put them back, or just say 'screw it'?

• Like 2