Jay & Miles by ColumbusGuy

What's the anthology topic?  What's the link?  I wonder if I have time to put something in?

There are two themes : Jagged Edges and Unintended Consequences. You can see the announcement here: https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/42457-2017-spring-anthology-jagged-edges-unintended-consequences/

Deadline is end of April, so you should have time to come up with something. There is also a discussion topic.

https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/42458-2017-spring-anthology-jagged-edges-unintended-consequences-discussion/

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 2

Tak, Tim!  I tried finding it myself just now, and wound up distracted by a thread on American-British 'dirty words'.  I put a post there that mentions you and Gary...maybe you'd like to see it?

https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/topic/41768-american-versus-british-english-containing-examples-of-x-rated-words/page-2#entry662801

• Like 2

Damn it, Tim...now I'm screwed.  I haven't gone to the Anthology links yet, but I'm going to do one for it on the Jagged Edges theme.  I wasn't thinking about doing it, since the process is confusing...but in the w.c. just now, A freakin' idea hit me full blown, now I have to write it.  I don't know if I should go for it now, or try to do more on Chapter 49--plenty of time for the anthology?  Maybe, but I don't want to forget any of it!

Just what I need--more distractions!  :P

• Like 2

Loved the conversation, CG and Tim!! I like the glimpse idea too... and I think you should go with your anthology idea while it's fresh, buddy. Yay to your eye appointment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your doctor's appointment better go well :)

• Like 2

I guess I do have nearly two months...this one is going to be sort of autobiographical I think, so it might be hard to forget.  My big worry is that it might be seen as whiny or depressing.  :o

Not everything can be happy, buddy... and you, whiny? Never! :)

• Like 2

Just an update on my doctor's appointment today.

Last time my A1C was checked in early November, it was just over 9...today it was 8.1, which is a lot better.  Still working on it, but several years ago, it was closer to 11, so I'm definitely in the right direction!

• Like 3

Last time my A1C was checked in early November, it was just over 9...today it was 8.1, which is a lot better.  Still working on it, but several years ago, it was closer to 11, so I'm definitely in the right direction!

Good boy!!!!!!!! :hug:

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

That's wonderful news, CG! :hug: 

• Like 2

Great News CG.  Now keep on top of it and it can be better.  When I was less active with my testing and control I was also at 12+ on the A1C.  Now I am much more diligent and my last test was 6.7.  For those that do not know, that is only 1 above a high normal for a non-diabetic.  I am no saint and I am doing it so you can also :).  Come on, catch me if you can...  I dare you ;)

Rob

• Like 4

I also had my weight taken at the appointment, and I thought I would have gained some since I couldn't be as active anymore--no walking to the local stores or yard work like before my vision problems, but I was up only one pound to 212.  That's more than twenty-five pounds lower than when I moved to Columbus in '87.  For a guy who's 6'1 and with a big-boned frame thanks to my dad, that's not too bad.

Off to read Gary's chapter, and see what else is now--yesterday was busy with an errand to requalify for something, and that worked out fine, but I had little sleep, so spent some time napping when I could have been writing.  :)

Next regular doctor's appointment is March 23 to check bp again.

• Like 3

OK CG,

I am 6' 235, a little extra in the middle :P .  If you work on the A1C I will work on getting my weight down to your area.  Lets see who catches who first.....  Because A1C is much more a style change I will even give you a 3:1 time advantage to beat me ;).  You are doing GREAT.

• Like 3

Well Rob, I'm not sure I want to take any bets--I know my vices and virtues (or lack thereof), but am ignorant of yours.  :P

I am a creature of habit with my eating habits. and confess that I can't refuse occasional chocolate things...I don't eat enough green veggies, though I love carrots (raw) and will eat salad on occasion.  I am overly fond of bratwurst, but at least my drinks are all sugar free and low or zero calories.

What's your exercise regimen, before I agree to anything?  :D

• Like 1

Hi CG,

Ok I will bare almost all :o .  I am on a see food diet....  If I see it I eat it.  So that should tell you something.  As for vices, I really only have one,  Snickers bars.  I actually will let my sugars go low so I can have one without shooting the moon.  Bad I know, but meh.....  I quit smoking 4 years ago and not one cig since.  I drink very little. A beer with friends maby once every 2 or 3 months.  A hard drink maby once a year.  When I turned 21 I quit drinking (well not quite but you get the drift). As for exercise I get very little other than hauling my slightly overweight butt around.  No gym or any sceduled stuff.  I used to be much more active, but have been fighting a nerve/inflamation problem in my left hip for going on two years.  If I over do it I am living on applied chemestry for a good day or two.  Not good in any way.  Makes me tired and grumpy and the wife puts up with enough of that anyway.  As for the challange, it is more of a friendly poke that we all need to work on out health.  We are not 18 anymore, nor are we indestructable.  I check my sugars 5+ times a day and often take 3-4 shots to be where I am now.  Fortunately, my poor ways of youth have not caused any detectable problems with my eyes, heart, kidneys or for the most part nerves.  I do have some nerve problems, but the doc says not diabetic related, just to much stressful work in years gone by (specificly tower climbing for radio work).  Kinda a carpel tunnel thing but a bit worse.  Anyway, challange is still there....catch me if you can  :P .

Rob

• Like 1

Hmm, perhaps this might not be so bad after all....  Other than chocolate, my biggest vice is pizza.  I eat that about once every two weeks.  I would drink a few drinks to be social when I went out in my 20s and 30s, but not at all since I became diabetic in 2002.  Smoked for two weeks when I was twelve, nothing since except a tiny bit of pot a few times a year...nothing since the year before my bf died in 2007.  I tend to eat two main meals a day, lunch and 'dinner' around eight or nine hours later,  then a small snack with my second insulin shot.  With my weird night-owl lifestyle, my insulin is taken at 'lunch' around 1pm, and the second around 1am.  41 units each time.  I was on pills when I first got diagnosed, then insulin twice a day at 60 units each, and that's been decreased over the years to what it is now, where it's been for three years or more.

Got some neuropathy in my feet, but it's not much more than a tingling, no pain.  The pain comes from the arthritis in both knees from two different accidents.  Lucky me, they don't often hurt on the same day.  :)   One good thing, my waist size has decreased since college: down from 42 to 38 inches.  The last coat I bought had to be 3xl to fit my shoulders--too bad it's not from hulking muscles, just big frame.

More later--really going to write tonight!

• Like 1

Bringing this over here from Gary's forum, so you can see it.

What are y'alls views on multiple first-person views? Switching pov back and forth? I have mixed feelings about it.

It's not so easy to manage, especially if it's 1st person POV. CG manages well in his Jay and Miles story, and of course Mark Arbour's latest CAP stories manages by color coding.

There's an author on here that uses multiple first-person to tell his story. There got to be too many main characters, though, and I was confused trying to figure out who was supposed to be speaking. Thank the gods he listens to his readers. I asked him if he could start labeling the pov changes and tell us who was speaking. He did and makes the read soooooooo much easier. 

I wonder if you're talking about CG too? I think it's easier with name labels.  :yes:

CG is the author I was thanking the gods listens to his readers. 

Yes, he's good on that. :yes:

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 3

I do listen to my readers, when they comment on something I can work in, or fix.  JayT was the second person to ask for POV notices, so I put them in my later chapters, then went back and did it for all of them right from the start, even if there's only one speaker.

I remember Mark Arbour using colors as well as names in some of his books of CAP, but I don't know if he's still doing colors--it's harder for me to tell now with the high-contrast browser and pc settings.

I would love to go to my Nifty chapters of JM and do the POV notices, but I'd have to submit entirely new chapters, which is a huge hassle--thank the gods GA is far more user friendly!  :)

Still working on the next chapter, got it nearly doubled again, but not near done.

• Like 3

I do listen to my readers, when they comment on something I can work in, or fix.  JayT was the second person to ask for POV notices, so I put them in my later chapters, then went back and did it for all of them right from the start, even if there's only one speaker.

I remember Mark Arbour using colors as well as names in some of his books of CAP, but I don't know if he's still doing colors--it's harder for me to tell now with the high-contrast browser and pc settings.

I would love to go to my Nifty chapters of JM and do the POV notices, but I'd have to submit entirely new chapters, which is a huge hassle--thank the gods GA is far more user friendly!  :)

Still working on the next chapter, got it nearly doubled again, but not near done.

I couldn't agree more about thanking the gods GA is more user-friendly. This site rocks the Casbah and who cares if the Shareef likes it or not.

• Like 2
  • Site Moderator

I couldn't agree more about thanking the gods GA is more user-friendly. This site rocks the Casbah and who cares if the Shareef likes it or not.

I haven't heard that song in ages, and now I have an ear worm. Thanks, Jay. :P

• Like 2