In this Novel, we meet Emeric Corvin, a Young Man, troubled in Life, troubled in Love....Waking from a Nightmare to a Darkness full of Dread--is he still Dreaming, or is this an all-too-alarming Reality? I was strongly reminded of Edgar Allan Poe's masterpiece The Raven, a piece which has always sent chills up my spine, and I found myself fighting the urge to look over my shoulder and duck as he swung his hockey-stick at the bird in his room....

And now we have Emeric, feeling more alone than ever, riding to his father's funeral after the late-night summons...the stone gate-house, the ancient pile of church buildings amongst obelisks and monuments to the Departed...a summer day in which I still find that same chill as the night of his visitation.

Now I am reminded of my other favorite film, Hitchcock's The Birds--I'm going to have bad dreams tonight I think, influenced by AC's imagery of dark nights and final resting places.

Edited by ColumbusGuy
  • Like 3

In this Novel, we meet Emeric Corvin, a Young man, troubled in Life, troubled in Love....Waking from a Nightmare to a Darkness full of Dread--is he still Dreaming, or is this an all-too-alarming Reality? I was strongly reminded of Edgar Allan Poe's masterpiece The Raven, a piece which has always sent chills up my spine, and I found myself fighting the urge to look over my shoulder and duck as he swung his hockey-stick at the bird in his room....

And now we have Emeric, feeling more alone than ever, riding to his father's funeral after the late-night summons...the stone gate-house, the ancient pile of church buildings amongst obelisks and monuments to the Departed...a summer day which I still find that same chill as the night of his dream.

Now I am reminded of my other favorite film, Hitchcock's The Birds--I'm going to have bad dreams tonight I think, influenced by AC's imagery of dark nights and final resting places.

Thanks, ColumbusGuy, for setting up this forum! Dang, now I'm getting tired, and I guess I better get to bed early for my big day tomorrow. I don't want to dash off a reply to your forum posting and miss stuff. So, I will limit myself to saying thanks for now, and tomorrow I will come back with info to share, and some links to the places already mentioned in the story.

• Like 3

This Is why I waited till this morning (bright and sunny with snow covering the ground and every tree) before I read chapter 2.

And guess what - the story is even scarier on a second read. :o

• Like 3

.....Things that go bump in the night....

The imagery is outstanding...AC's writing makes a person think, but it is never a chore...while it makes you pay attention to every detail and doesn't allow for lazy reading, the payback makes the focusing very worthwhile, if at times demanding. I have said it before but it bears repeating...there is no one else on GA quite like him....This new book has me enthralled....

Edited by Headstall
  • Like 3

it makes you pay attention to every detail

and almost every detail is important and paying attention is a must for this story.

I think I can say this without spoiling anything. :)

It's certainly one of the most complex and intriguing tales I've come across in a long time.

• Like 3

And now we have Emeric, feeling more alone than ever, riding to his father's funeral after the late-night summons...the stone gate-house, the ancient pile of church buildings amongst obelisks and monuments to the Departed...a summer day in which I still find that same chill as the night of his visitation.

Your description is so evocative, but as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words! Here is the gateway to The Necropolis Cemetery in Toronto (one of the city's oldest, and probably about of the most macabre-named burial yards anywhere in the world). Lookie here: 

http://www.mountpleasantgroup.com/Default.aspx?DN=c7ebd098-9758-4900-a67b-c0b8d716a0c3

And here is the cemetery's official webpage, in case you are shopping around ;)

http://www.mountpleasantgroup.com/pre-planning/cemeteries/properties/n

• Like 2

.....Things that go bump in the night....

The imagery is outstanding...AC's writing makes a person think, but it is never a chore...while it makes you pay attention to every detail and doesn't allow for lazy reading, the payback makes the focusing very worthwhile, if at times demanding. I have said it before but it bears repeating...there is no one else on GA quite like him....This new book has me enthralled....

Thank you, Gary! This is an amazing compliment. 

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 3

and almost every detail is important and paying attention is a must for this story.

I think I can say this without spoiling anything. :)

It's certainly one of the most complex and intriguing tales I've come across in a long time.

I came to recognize this element in my writings, so that is why i tend to keep my chapters short - if they are too long (like in The Round People) people cannot comfortably enjoy them. Thank you, Tim 

• Like 2

I came to recognize this element in my writings, so that is why i tend to keep my chapters short - if they are too long (like in The Round People) people cannot comfortably enjoy them. Thank you, Tim 

A very astute self realization...while I found TRP to be extremely well written, there were a few times that it felt like a little heavy...this was compounded by the fact that I read some of it while being very tired. I haven`t found that with any other of your writings, but I do try not to read your stuff if I am tired. The more aware I am, the more I get from what you put on the page. You are damn good, AC....cheers...G

Edited by Headstall
  • Like 3

Dang, my mentioning of the cemetery to raise a murky atmosphere doesn't fit the pic...it looks far too cheerful for a cemetery gate--more like I picture a fancy garden.  Of course, I guess they don't say 'houses of the dead' for nothing. :)

Maybe if it was painted grey? Oh wait, I seem to remember 'whited sepulchers' somewhere in the Heilige Schrift....

Edited by ColumbusGuy
  • Like 2

Dang, my mentioning of the cemetery to raise a murky atmosphere doesn't fit the pic...it

That's exacty how I felt !

But on the other hand, maybe the contrast between the white gate and the black birds makes it even more scary.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey, everyone, I didn't post this very vivid memory in here before because I was worried about being off-topic, but AC says it's ok :)

I didn't mention in my review that a prior chapter of B & B "zapped" me, as AC's work so often does. Ahmed's longing for Izmir brought back, very clearly, an image to my mind from when we were there in 2000, just before Christmas. It was a year that Christmas fell during the Eid days. 

Have you spent time in Izmir? I don't have a clear idea of where we were, because we didn't speak the language and just trusted people to carry us around safely, which they did. Some cab driver just gave us a tour and took us to one of the beaches where the fishing boats dock. We walked around a little with mountains behind us and in front of us, a small strip of sea, and then more mountains, Urla maybe? It was cold and very beautiful.

Anyway, on this empty seafront, two men met, one very handsome, stylishly dressed in a leather jacket, one a less so, a bit older, kind of weathered-looking. I think the younger one came out of a boat. They looked serious and intent and looked at us and then sort of drew together and turned their backs on us to walk down the beach. I didn't have the impression then that they were lovers... but they'd met for a purpose. But what really struck me was that suddenly, again out of an empty place, a bunch of cats showed up, and ran after the younger man! The second man looked over his shoulder and laughed. My guess is the first one was a fisherman and fed scraps to the cats. There were at least six or seven, and they trotted after the guy in the leather jacket, tails up, meowing. 

We left, so I don't know what happened then. But for some reason, Ahmed's story brought that guy to mind so intensely  :)  It was a very happy trip. 

• Like 3

Irri, thank you for posting your Izmir memory.

First off, to answer your question, no I have not been there in person, but I have seen it featured a few times on travel shows. The beach and surrounding area looks amazing…I guess I can throw on a few links…

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://europeupclose.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/cesme-beach-Izmir.gif&imgrefurl=http://europeupclose.com/article/izmir-a-welcome-stop-on-turkeys-west-coast/&h=334&w=230&tbnid=ot0rUlcvJz_4nM:&zoom=1&q=beach+at+izmir&docid=a1v0Bsk8o7r02M&ei=i3m9VNqTPMarggSygoHwDw&tbm=isch&ved=0CCIQMygEMAQ

http://www.travelihub.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/turkey2.jpg

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.destination360.com/europe/turkey/images/s/turquoise-coast.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.destination360.com/europe/turkey/turquoise-coast&h=332&w=415&tbnid=QMuP6ALq_6UzbM:&zoom=1&q=izmir+coast&docid=R6GEzrw3-2SFPM&ei=3n69VNnsOIyyggTtt4OgCw&tbm=isch&ved=0CCMQMygHMAc

With pictures like this it's easy to see why this region is called the Turkish Riviera. I knew someone would take Ahmed's simple words, "Izmir by the sea!" and relate them to the beauty he sees before his eyes in memory. And I'm glad it was you, Irri.

I asked you to post this here because it is so beautifully well written, and I'm very happy you did. Although, lol, I feel an instant quibble that you felt the two guys were not having a reunion of a romantic kind. I know it was just your impression, but I bet I would have related it to a different impression if I had seen it for myself. And so it goes…

Thank you once again!   

• Like 2

That's exacty how I felt !

But on the other hand, maybe the contrast between the white gate and the black birds makes it even more scary.

Dang, my mentioning of the cemetery to raise a murky atmosphere doesn't fit the pic...it looks far too cheerful for a cemetery gate--more like I picture a fancy garden.  Of course, I guess they don't say 'houses of the dead' for nothing. :)

Maybe if it was painted grey? Oh wait, I seem to remember 'whited sepulchers' somewhere in the Heilige Schrift....

Yes, ColumbusGuy and Tim, these pix of the cemetery are super beautiful and sharp. But i can also see it through the eye of a Hollywood lens which darkens it and makes the sharp lines pointing up incredibly ominous. "That black spot in the sky" lowers and becomes a raven to sit on the pinnacle... the setting is perfect, although i hadn't seen this gate before i wrote the scene. It was just happy circumstance that let me to The Necropolis Cemetery.

Edited by AC Benus

Although, lol, I feel an instant quibble that you felt the two guys were not having a reunion of a romantic kind. 

:lol:  I can't help it, one of them was very crisply turned out and the other was looking really schlumpy, he was in near-PJs, and hadn't shaved, or apparently showered. If I am going to find myself unintentionally spying on someone's secret date, I'd like both partners to be making an effort.

Edited by Irritable1
  • Like 1

The story has been fantastic so far.  You are a talented writer.  Thank you for your dedication to providing the gay community and others this free and exciting resource of entertainment.

Thank you, James, for taking the time to encourage me. That means a lot, it really does.