A question about a spirit wolf: does he have the same sense of smell as a wolf (were- or not) in your universe? All the descriptions of colors and emotions and other olfactory things the doggy-shaped beings in your universe sense are fascinating, and they also give additional levels of understanding to those beings. It seemed like Hel should have understood more if his sense of smell was the same. More surprising perhaps is that James did not immediately understand Hel's level of attraction/infatuation/lust for him.

A spirit animal has some similarities in senses to a shifter/were, but they won't be quite as acute. Also Hel has nothing to anchor what his senses are telling him, so like a person who can't read, he doesn't understand the information being delivered to his brain.

At some point I WILL read the rest of the 'Circle of Hell' stories. This one is fascinating, and I think part of that is because they are so different from each other, yet need each other to be complete.

You don't need to read the others in order for this story to work, they are in related universes, but there aren't any direct crossover characters or events (yet). Not that I don't think you'll enjoy the BCOH stories - they are very different!

• 1 month later...