• Site Administrator

Chapter 12 is now with my editor.  I know I owe some replies to reviews and am hoping to get that done in the next couple days. I really appreciate everyone taking the time to leave their thoughts.  :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

My antho piece is now off to my beta reader, so now I can concentrate on finishing up Chapter 13 of THH.  I hope to have it finished up this weekend, so look for it in the next couple of weeks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

Chapter 13 is now posted.  :)  I am hoping to finish up Chapter 14 today and get it sent to my team for review.  Hopefully it will posted within the next couple weeks. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

Chapter 14 is with my editor and will be posted when she is done with her corrections.  I am just about finished writing Chapter 15 and will hopefully have it sent to my team this weekend.  We are getting to a turning point in the story.  Thanks to everyone who's read, 'liked', and reviewed the story so far.  :)

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

Chapter 15 is written and with my editor, so look for it soon.  :)  I have a good start on Chs 16 and 17, but it may take me a little while to finish them since I need to get going on my Fall Antho story and another project that I almost forgot about.  Thanks again for all the interest in the story. It means a lot to me.  :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, Valkyrie. There is a question that's been floating around the back of my head. I wonder if you'd mind answering it.

Q: You have indicated that you first came up with characters from The Hollow Hills when you were in high school. As two people of relatively the same age, I wonder what inspired or led you to want to write about same-sex loving people way back then? Times were different, and LGBT folks hardly had any positive media exposure at that time.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Great question, AC.  When I was in ninth grade I wrote a short story for my English class about a man who had to deal with a devastating illness that spread through his horse stables.  That man was Josh.  That story sparked the creation of Alannah and Adam, and the story of how Alannah came to the US and ended up staying at the farm, along with the history of the farm itself.  At some point, I'd like to write that story as a prequel to The Hollow Hills.  That story would also include how Alannah and Liam met. 

I tend to think of my characters as living beings and sometimes they take on an evolution all their own.  That was the case with Josh.  Even though he and Alannah were so close, I never once ever envisioned them as a couple.  In one of the earliest incarnations of the story, I had them as cousins, but it never felt right.  I remember contemplating that at one point - years after I first conceived of Josh - and wondering why they never became a couple.  I think I sat bolt upright with the realization that Josh was gay.  Suddenly, their whole dynamic made a lot more sense and it really allowed me to grow him as a character even more.  That's when Roger came into the picture.  I'm guessing that was the early to mid '90s at that point.  Galen wasn't conceived of until the late '90s, so he's actually a much younger character for me compared to the others.  I've had many variations over the years about how Galen and Josh met and what happens to them.  I've wanted to write this story for a very long time, but it's so big and fluid that I had a very difficult time narrowing down the specifics into a workable story that wasn't too confusing.  I'm still struggling with that in some aspects, since there so much that I want to convey, but I don't want to bog the story down with too much information. 

So to answer your question, it wasn't a conscious decision to create a gay character back then.  I feel like he chose to reveal himself to me and it's simply who he is, which I accepted without reservation.  I'm so glad I did, since it led me down a path that brought me here, and I can't think of a better place to host my stories.  :)

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Chapter 15 has just been posted. :)  We've reached a turning point in the story.  I'm working on Chapter 16 and my fall antho story, in addition to my editing commitments, so there may be a bit of a delay before it's ready to be posted.  I apologize for that, but I hope it will be worth the wait. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

I'd like to thank everyone for their patience with this story while I worked on my anthology story.  It's done now and with my beta readers, so the major work is completed with it.  This means I am now free to work on the next chapters of THH.  Chapters 16 and 17 are both started, so hopefully I will get them completed and through my team soon.  So fingers crossed that the next chapter will be posted in the next couple of weeks.  Thank you all for your continued support of this story!  :hug: 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • Site Administrator

I've actually been meaning to give an update since it's been so long since I posted.  Thanks for the reminder.  ;)  I had a bit of writer's block for a while, so stopped working on this for a little bit.  The good news is that my muse has found me again, and I actually started working on Chapter 16 a bit today.  I'm hoping to have something for my team to review soon.  Thanks for your support and for being so patient! :)

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...
  • Site Administrator

Now that I'm done with the Winter Anthology and my Secret Santa story, I now have time to concentrate on The Hollow Hills.  I am hoping to finish up Chapter 16 and get it to my team this weekend.  Again, I'm sorry for the long wait in between chapters, but I hope it will be worth it.  I'm hoping to give this story my full attention now.  I'd like to thank everyone for being so patient.  :hug: 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

Good news!  I've finally made some progress on Chapter 16!  :D :D  I just got it back from my beta reader, and need to make some changes.  After it gets a final read through by my editor it will be posted.  :)  So if all goes well, look for Chapter 16 to be posted in a couple of weeks.  :)

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator

Chapter 16 is now with my editor.  As soon as I get it back, I will post it.  She's a busy lady, so it may still be a couple of weeks, but I wanted to let you all know that I have finally made some progress with getting back on track with this story.  This chapter is a turning point. I would say we're about at the halfway point.  Thanks for sticking with me so far!

• Like 1

Chapter 16 is now with my editor. As soon as I get it back, I will post it. She's a busy lady, so it may still be a couple of weeks, but I wanted to let you all know that I have finally made some progress with getting back on track with this story. This chapter is a turning point. I would say we're about at the halfway point. Thanks for sticking with me so far!

Yay! Looking forward to it. :)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...