Message added by Myr,

Carlos passed away on Jun 16, 2023:

We hung out when I was in DC last month! That young man has great everything. He's almost 18 now, I won't give too many details about how he looks these days except to say his chest is carpeted in a thick, soft coat of dark brown fur... :heart:

Ah, a man with a bit of fur... *sighs*  :wub: 

Sound like you had a lot of "fun" in DC   :rofl:

Edited by clochette
  • Like 1

Ah, a man with a bit of fur... *sighs*  :wub: 

Sound like you had a lot of "fun" in DC   :rofl:

I did! But walking all over Arlington Cemetery was exhausting. And I had a scare when I sat down for a little rest and left my phone behind on the bench. Some kid on a school trip found it and I did end up getting it back but it scared the crap out of me!

Good to know there are honest kids still about  :*)

Or was it a grandpa phone with no features  :P

Brand spanking new Samsung Galaxy Edge!

I stopped at the reception area, borrowed a guard's phone and called my number. Kid answered and he sounded a bit flustered so he called one of the teachers/chaperones over and we arranged to get the phone back to me. Never met the kid, was planning on giving him a 20 as a thank you.

You were lucky cause nowadays not a lot of kids would give back a phone they've found  ;)

There're quite a few foreign cemeteries and memorials around where I am.

Many American GI's who died in WWII are buried in France.

People laugh at me when I program my home phone number into all of our families cell phones because we ever answer the home phone. I do it because I have often found phones and looked through the directory for a clue who to return it to. Sometimes I call one of the ICE numbers but I love it when there is a "home" number! I call and when it is answered, either by a human or the voice mail, say "This is your wayward cell phoning home." If it's the voice mail I then leave my name and number after.  

• Like 2

Many Australian's buried in France too

Yes, Australians, Canadians, Americans, British... I live in Amiens, so le Circuit du Souvenir (the Circuit of Remembrance) is not far away. Each year a lot of people do the trip.

• Like 1

People laugh at me when I program my home phone number into all of our families cell phones because we ever answer the home phone. I do it because I have often found phones and looked through the directory for a clue who to return it to. Sometimes I call one of the ICE numbers but I love it when there is a "home" number! I call and when it is answered, either by a human or the voice mail, say "This is your wayward cell phoning home." If it's the voice mail I then leave my name and number after.  

I haven't done it yet with the new phone, but I'll download the ICE app so my lock-screen will display those numbers. Hell, I haven't even locked the phone yet! But I have no dirty pictures so I'm not worried :P

• Like 1

Yes, Australians, Canadians, Americans, British... I live in Amiens, so le Circuit du Souvenir (the Circuit of Remembrance) is not far away. Each year a lot of people do the trip.

Survivors of the Normandy invasion are mostly gone by now, the number of those returning to France each June diminishes every year. Many in America and Europe forget the Aussies and Kiwis were a big part of the war in Europe just as much as in the Pacific.

One day I'll tell y'all the story of this elderly gentleman I met in Sydney during the ANZAC Day Parade. I've forgotten his name, but I have pictures of him and remember his story clearly. We were in New Hyde Park, sitting on a retaining wall under a tree and the guy was so damn nice I listened to him for quite a while!

Last year, a 90years old British from the Royal Navy left his nursing home without a word to anyone to attend the celebrations in Normandy and then he went back tto his nursing home he next day.

I had found it very touching that such an old man was ready to "escape" and go off on an adventure to attend cause it was what he wanted and needed to do in memory of his companions. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-27735086

• Like 3

A lot of Americans don't even realize Aussies and New Zealanders were even involved in the world wars.  I don't remember a single mention of them from history class, though admittedly it has been a very long time since the last time I sat in a history classroom.  Their support in the middle east is much better known.

• Like 1

Survivors of the Normandy invasion are mostly gone by now, the number of those returning to France each June diminishes every year. Many in America and Europe forget the Aussies and Kiwis were a big part of the war in Europe just as much as in the Pacific.

One day I'll tell y'all the story of this elderly gentleman I met in Sydney during the ANZAC Day Parade. I've forgotten his name, but I have pictures of him and remember his story clearly. We were in New Hyde Park, sitting on a retaining wall under a tree and the guy was so damn nice I listened to him for quite a while!

I think the Somme has the largest collection of Australian War dead than anywhere else in the world

• Like 1

The ANZACs got up to all sorts of mischief all over the world - we have been to most of the scrapes and barneys over the years.

You did notice I included a touch of Oz in Children of the Dust, I hope? Aussies were some of the USA's staunchest supporters in Korea, Vietnam, and Afghanistan.

You did notice I included a touch of Oz in Children of the Dust, I hope? Aussies were some of the USA's staunchest supporters in Korea, Vietnam, and Afghanistan.

Along with a list of other misadventures... 

• Like 1

I did! But walking all over Arlington Cemetery was exhausting. And I had a scare when I sat down for a little rest and left my phone behind on the bench. Some kid on a school trip found it and I did end up getting it back but it scared the crap out of me!

You need a day and then some, for Arlington.

Curious. Has anyone taken the train to anywhere from Foggy Bottom? Will they?  Simply because, well, it's Foggy Bottom. 

Seriously?! Like really seriously?!

I just receive a notification that a new story name Autumn by Carlos Hazday have been post, so I was like  :D:lmao:   :2thumbs::lmao:   :D but...

NO, no, no, no, it was just the details of the story coming up, no chapter so now I'm like  :o  :/  :(  :,(

This is so frustrating! Grrr  <_<

Seriously?! Like really seriously?!

I just receive a notification that a new story name Autumn by Carlos Hazday have been post, so I was like  :D:lmao:   :2thumbs::lmao:   :D but...

NO, no, no, no, it was just the details of the story coming up, no chapter so now I'm like  :o  :/  :(  :,(

This is so frustrating! Grrr  <_<

Ouch! I just started working on my first cup of coffee, give me a chance to wake up!

Clo, there's a reason I did it this way. I wanted to publish the prologue in advance so people would pay attention to it. Those guys mean a lot to me and I don't wanted the dedication to be lost in the excitement of reading the first chapter.

It also gives readers a chance to like and follow the story so they'll receive a notification as soon as new chapters are published. Plus now you know Autumn is for real! I mean, I may have said it was comming but delayed the whole thing at the last minute. We're on for real. By this time next week I should be responding to reviews or hiding from a mob screaming "Off with his head!" :D

You need a day and then some, for Arlington.

Curious. Has anyone taken the train to anywhere from Foggy Bottom? Will they?  Simply because, well, it's Foggy Bottom. 

:rofl:

I honestly used it for the first time this past trip to DC. The train station! Gee, keep your mind out of the gutter. It's crowded enough down here already.

My hotel was in Rosslyn, VA, I caught the Metro at the station there and rode it to Foggy Bottom so I could visit CJ's school, take some pictures and ended up chatting for a couple of minutes with a handful of students. Also wanted to check out the area surrounding GWU Hospital since the station is right next to it.

• Like 1

Ouch! I just started working on my first cup of coffee, give me a chance to wake up!

Clo, there's a reason I did it this way. I wanted to publish the prologue in advance so people would pay attention to it. Those guys mean a lot to me and I don't wanted the dedication to be lost in the excitement of reading the first chapter.

It also gives readers a chance to like and follow the story so they'll receive a notification as soon as new chapters are published. Plus now you know Autumn is for real! I mean, I may have said it was comming but delayed the whole thing at the last minute. We're on for real. By this time next week I should be responding to reviews or hiding from a mob screaming "Off with his head!" :D

I didn't have coffee and I just woke up so imagine my excitement when I saw the notification lol  ;) 

I was joking I know deep down you're full of good intentions (well, we also say that  Hell is paved with good intentions, so I don't really know what to think of it  :lol: )

I would have like it but seems like I'm already out off likes for the day, I don't know how it happened though  -_-

• Like 1

I didn't have coffee and I just woke up so imagine my excitement when I saw the notification lol  ;)

I was joking I know deep down you're full of good intentions (well, we also say that  Hell is paved with good intentions, so I don't really know what to think of it  :lol: )

I would have like it but seems like I'm already out off likes for the day, I don't know how it happened though  -_-

Fine, you owe me a like :D

I hope you at least read the prologue! And if you ever want some good reading material, look up any of those authors!

Now that we're on the home stretch before chapter 1 goes live, we can start taking guesses about what will happen in it!

• Like 1

Fine, you owe me a like :D

I hope you at least read the prologue! And if you ever want some good reading material, look up any of those authors!

Now that we're on the home stretch before chapter 1 goes live, we can start taking guesses about what will happen in it!

And i'll give you those likes with great pleasure.  :2thumbs:

It's really nice what you said about those authors.

I've read 52' Panhead by Gabriel Morgan too and I too wish he would complete the story :( . I really enjoy it and until he post something saying otherwise I will not give up hope of the story being complete. 

• Like 1