Destiny - A Novel By Ac Benus

I can't say I'm totally surprised at that event, but the way it happened made me go "What?!?". I won't comment further since I feel there is too much information missing (unless the answer is pure evil, but you would do something simplistic like that, AC).

I could comment on my previous review. I wanted Linc to look out for himself. By that I meant he should make sure not to lose himself completely and just be reduced to Jack's caring boyfriend. Linc must be Linc too at times, otherwise he'll crumble under the pressure of dealing with Jack's illness.

I don't think anyone can ever prepare for the loss of a loved one. The intellect doesn't hold that kind of power over the heart...

By the way, I could hardly find the forum. Until I suddenly realised why. Congrats once again AC!

• Like 1

I truly didn't expect that of Hamish and Christie. 

It really doesn't matter how strong Linc is does it. That kind of accusation follows you around. With the press involved, there's always going to be the, "Aren't you that guy who..." questions and comments at the oddest times. 

This being CNN, maybe Hamish and Christie get to sit with Don Lemmon, and he can call them out on the timing and just all around poor taste of their announcement.

By the way, I could hardly find the forum. Until I suddenly realised why. Congrats once again AC!

LOL, yeah, I looked in the wrong place a couple of times too. We'll get used to it eventually. ;)

Good to know I wasn't the only one :lol:

• Like 1

It really doesn't matter how strong Linc is does it. That kind of accusation follows you around. With the press involved, there's always going to be the, "Aren't you that guy who..." questions and comments at the oddest times. 

This being CNN, maybe Hamish and Christie get to sit with Don Lemmon, and he can call them out on the timing and just all around poor taste of their announcement.

For me, this is so foreign. In Sweden, this would never make headlines. Even if Jack had been 14 and therefore off limits legally speaking, no media would run a story like that. We don't approve of young people being used of course, but in these circumstances no one would be outraged. Maybe even taking the boys' side...There would be no names in mainstream media. I guess we are lucky...

• Like 2

Same here in Holland, Puppilull. As long as there is consent on both sides I don't think people would make an issue of it. But I have seen it in many stories taking place in the US, that the persons themselves are very aware of the fact that they are breaking the law.

Makes you think about the validity of laws in general. After the French Revolution the death penalty for sexual contacts between men was abolished, but because of violation of public modesty -a punishable fact with a much wider range-, lots of men were convicted it the 19th century. In 1911 sexual contacts between a man over 21 and a man under 21 years of age became punishable in a seperate law. Between 1947 and 1966 about 100 men a year were convicted because of this law. In 1971 this law was abolished, which meant the age of consent became 16. Between 1989 and 2002 this age was lowered to 12 and in 2002 the age of 16 was once again restored. Hardly a consistent policy.

Maybe of further interest:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:World_laws_pertaining_to_homosexual_relationships_and_expression

Edited by J.HunterDunn
  • Like 1

I guess you all are lucky, because sometimes the press coverage is relentless. Sometimes it does help to serve a purpose, because as JHunter mentioned, some are indeed very aware they are breaking the law. 

In the case of our story though, Jack's running away and his mom alerting the media, led us to where we are. They stay with Jack for the humanity aspect surrounding his situation, but in the US, media sensationalism is rampant. Which is why I'm guessing Hamish chose this as his platform. 

Even so, there are cases where the underage arent named. While still becoming a lead in news story, the parties  are referred to as the victim, the victim's family and the accused. There's almost always a family spokesperson.

In a case like Linc's (and I don't want to speak out of turn) if he's found out, whether there is consent or not, he can still be vilified in the press. It would be his face on TV and if it could be helped, Jack's identity would be protected. If it goes to trial, some are lucky to have the case sealed or expunged, others are not so fortunate. Then, if found guilty, there's the whole sex offender registry to deal with. Which for a young man at 18 is life altering, if it's public domain. 

Then on the flip side there ar families who actively seek out the media in a way to exact some sense of justice or for other 5 minutes of fame. 

• Like 1

well, you certainly managed to make us do :angry: rants, AC. How could they ?! :no:

Well, remember the true statement that love is not the opposite of hate, but apathy is the opposite of both. So, as long as readers are feeling something for what I'm putting out there, I have faith that I won't let them down in the end.  

• Like 1

I can't say I'm totally surprised at that event, but the way it happened made me go "What?!?". I won't comment further since I feel there is too much information missing (unless the answer is pure evil, but you would do something simplistic like that, AC).

I could comment on my previous review. I wanted Linc to look out for himself. By that I meant he should make sure not to lose himself completely and just be reduced to Jack's caring boyfriend. Linc must be Linc too at times, otherwise he'll crumble under the pressure of dealing with Jack's illness.

I don't think anyone can ever prepare for the loss of a loved one. The intellect doesn't hold that kind of power over the heart...

Thanks for your congrats, Puppilull. Cia did a great job of not only moving the few forums I have for my stuff, but ensuring that all the links and notices going to people following them are still working. That's super impressive, I think. Thanks Cia!

I like what you say about Linc. That poor boy is doubting his own strength, which is something Jack never did, but now Lincoln can have something to show both Jack and his mom that he is brave, and that he is sticking around. I think you have discovered an important thing here. Thanks for sharing it!    

• Like 2

Perhaps the attention is a double-edge sword. You are right, in my opinion, about the mere accusation floating around him, but if there is a way to refute it as publicity as the accusation was made, perhaps it won't be an issue anymore. I'm just speculating...

Oh gosh, you mentioning Don Lemon on CNN is just too perfect! He was brave, and came out even before Anderson Cooper, and as a natural advocate for LGBT issues, one could not find a better show to go on. PLUS, he is a total doll face - Sorry, Don, but you ARE. So cute, omg!  

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1

For me, this is so foreign. In Sweden, this would never make headlines. Even if Jack had been 14 and therefore off limits legally speaking, no media would run a story like that. We don't approve of young people being used of course, but in these circumstances no one would be outraged. Maybe even taking the boys' side...There would be no names in mainstream media. I guess we are lucky...

It's not clear in my mind either that in a 'normal' situation (of the kind described here) the name of the younger person would not be withheld, but Jack is the entire reason they are holding the press conference. It's a horrible use of his unwanted 'celebrity' status to hurt him.    

Same here in Holland, Puppilull. As long as there is consent on both sides I don't think people would make an issue of it. But I have seen it in many stories taking place in the US, that the persons themselves are very aware of the fact that they are breaking the law.

In the US, most states retain the old legal concept of 'statutory rape.' That is the assertion that the government (local, county, state or even federal) can treat consent as meaningless in the eyes of the law. Prosecutors here are elected officials, and in many jurisdictions, just such a 'rape' trial is enough to ensure decades of job security. They call them 'high profile' cases. 

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1

I guess you all are lucky, because sometimes the press coverage is relentless. Sometimes it does help to serve a purpose, because as JHunter mentioned, some are indeed very aware they are breaking the law. 

In the case of our story though, Jack's running away and his mom alerting the media, led us to where we are. They stay with Jack for the humanity aspect surrounding his situation, but in the US, media sensationalism is rampant. Which is why I'm guessing Hamish chose this as his platform. 

Even so, there are cases where the underage arent named. While still becoming a lead in news story, the parties  are referred to as the victim, the victim's family and the accused. There's almost always a family spokesperson.

In a case like Linc's (and I don't want to speak out of turn) if he's found out, whether there is consent or not, he can still be vilified in the press. It would be his face on TV and if it could be helped, Jack's identity would be protected. If it goes to trial, some are lucky to have the case sealed or expunged, others are not so fortunate. Then, if found guilty, there's the whole sex offender registry to deal with. Which for a young man at 18 is life altering, if it's public domain. 

Then on the flip side there ar families who actively seek out the media in a way to exact some sense of justice or for other 5 minutes of fame. 

Yes, I think you've summarized the situation in the U.S. quite well. That double-edge sword of 'the media' is rearing its ugly head again.

It would be a true tragedy if Linc were placed on the sex offender registry just for making love to his boyfriend, especially as that may be the last time they ever get to be intimate.    

Thank you all for your support. I don't know if I mentioned it, but I was heavily influenced by Charles Dickens when I was writing this book.

There was just something that drew me into Oliver Twist, and the way in which that great writer unfolded his tale. The spirit of that led me to do what I have done in Destiny. (Although in no way am I comparing the two books.)

I just thought I would share that, and also offer it as 'heads up' that some more twists are coming ;)

• Like 2

Wow, didn't know there was a discussion group--I'm like a lot of people who just goes straight to the chapters. :)  My review of Chapter 8 was written when I was still fresh from reading it, and it might have come across as a criticism of AC...not so!  Here's the text of a pm I sent him about an hour later...with a more temperate mood.

Okay, I'm a bit calmer now; I hope you didn't take my review as a criticism of yourself. :)  It is high Art to rouse such passions in a reader, and you seem to be able to pull that off with surprising regularity.

I was shocked at Jackson's reaction, but then I realized that he has never met those two and doesn't grasp the true depth of their evil. I would think Dawn understands it more, so I guess that's why she wanted to rush back....No, I didn't expect the evil duo to go away without some move, but this is far beyond what I thought they'd sink to--taking away the one thing which Jack has to look to as a positive support and an incentive to stay alive.

• Like 2

Wow, didn't know there was a discussion group--I'm like a lot of people who just goes straight to the chapters. :)  My review of Chapter 8 was written when I was still fresh from reading it, and it might have come across as a criticism of AC...not so!  Here's the text of a pm I sent him about an hour later...with a more temperate mood.

Okay, I'm a bit calmer now; I hope you didn't take my review as a criticism of yourself. :)  It is high Art to rouse such passions in a reader, and you seem to be able to pull that off with surprising regularity.

I was shocked at Jackson's reaction, but then I realized that he has never met those two and doesn't grasp the true depth of their evil. I would think Dawn understands it more, so I guess that's why she wanted to rush back....No, I didn't expect the evil duo to go away without some move, but this is far beyond what I thought they'd sink to--taking away the one thing which Jack has to look to as a positive support and an incentive to stay alive.

I never took your comments as criticism of me, so we're all on the same page with that one :)

It's interesting you note Jackson's reaction...but, I don't think it means that he questions the seriousness of the situation. And I agree with you whole-heartly that Hamish and Christie have sunk to amazingly low levels. 

Thanks for your support, ColumbusGuy       

Edited by AC Benus

Thank you all for your support. I don't know if I mentioned it, but I was heavily influenced by Charles Dickens when I was writing this book.

And like the readers of Dickens we are kept in suspense as to what will befall our hero's next week. ;)

• Like 1

Wow, didn't know there was a discussion group--I'm like a lot of people who just goes straight to the chapters. :)

Welcome, CG. I not only like your own writing (I love long chapters ;) ), but really enjoy reading your reviews of AC's work as well.

• Like 1

Somebody reads my reviews?  :)

I will often only skim those by others of the same chapter, just to make sure I don't repeat something, but sometimes that's unavoidable if Headstall beats me to it.  I try to bring up something new, sometimes I'm successful.  AC is a very deep writer and I probably miss some of it since my BA in English lit probably expired decades ago...but I try.

So he's commented that this is inspired by Dickens? I've noted a few things which hark back to Melville, some to Richard Burton's translations of the 1001 Nights, and some spookiness a la Wilkie Collins and HP Lovecraft...so when is it going to be HG Wells turn?  Or Anthony Trollope...or for that matter, Washington Irving?

Just yankin' your chain, AC.  :)

Not only a master wordsmith, but a great poet worthy of the skalds of old...if only he'd give us a challenge that wasn't so complicated. :) I can count syllables for haiku, but that rondo thing was beyond my comprehension. For me, poetry stops being poetry if it doesn't rhyme, or have alliteration, or a caesura in the middle of the line. :) Maybe something I can relate to like Dr. Seuss? 

• Like 2