Destiny - A Novel By Ac Benus

For me, poetry stops being poetry if it doesn't rhyme, or have alliteration, or a caesura in the middle of the line. :) Maybe something I can relate to like Dr. Seuss? 

Hey - I can almost guarantee that if you start with Poetry Prompt 1 (Tanka), and work your way up, the Rondo challenge will be a breeze. Folks can't start with lesson 12 in an algebra book and say, "Algebra is not for me!" If you have an interest, then please check them out ;)

As for poetry, I prefer Poe's definition that verse is the artful turning of a line. That puts metre in the governing position of what makes poetry sing. By thinking of rhythm in this way, it ensures that no snobby reduction of 'a poem'  to the parsing of rules, or the imposing of 'laws' (like rhyme) say more than what is in the poet's heart. 

As for the supreme mastery of the English language as exampled by Theodore Geisel (Dr. Seuss, to you and me), that is probably way up at around poetry prompt 100! :0

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1
So he's commented that this is inspired by Dickens? I've noted a few things which hark back to Melville, some to Richard Burton's translations of the 1001 Nights, and some spookiness a la Wilkie Collins and HP Lovecraft...so when is it going to be HG Wells turn?  Or Anthony Trollope...or for that matter, Washington Irving?

Just yankin' your chain, AC.  :)

This is really complimentary :*) it does make me blush.

I'll just write this here, because maybe it's of some interest, but Ms. Horrell, my 8th grade teacher, really gave me some difficult reading challenges when I was 13-14. I think of this, because she's the one who gave me my fist Dickens to read - Great Expectations. Seriously, who gives a 13-year-old Great Expectations! She did, because I now know she realized I could comprehend it, and did me a great service. 

She also knew I was reading stuff (back in the 6th grade, when she was also my homeroom teacher) like Amiteville Horror, The Black Hole, Alien, etc. that I liked Science Fiction and ghost stories. For that reason, she had me read Jules Verne (Journey to the Center of the Earth, and Around the World in Eighty Days), and H.G. Wells (The Time Machine).

So, ColumbusGuy, you see how close your are to listing all my early influences. As for Melville, my love for him was born freshmen year of high school, so also about that time.    

(Incidentally, I did have an 1870s edition of Burton's 1001 Arabian Nights my mom bought for me from a farm auction. I remember reading it during one summer, perhaps the one between 8th and 9th grades...that was beautiful book to hold and behold.)   

• Like 1

Hmm, so you're saying even Dr. Seuss is too advanced for me?  :P

It may seem strange, but one of the best fiction writers to me isn't someone famous in the mainstream world...he's an old fantasy/sci-fi writer named Jack Vance...his words can fly off the page on wings of imagination and soar on the streams of color and imagery in the way he uses and invents words to paint an entire world, and it will seem real and believable however outlandish it might be in the cold light of day.

Two others can do similar things, Cordwainer Smith, who spent many years in the Orient, and Lin Carter. I recommend these three for your next leisure break, particularly Vance's Dyiing Earth series, or his Alastor novels.

I'll go back to carving my stone tablets with hieroglyphs now.

• Like 1

Hmm, so you're saying even Dr. Seuss is too advanced for me?  :P

It may seem strange, but one of the best fiction writers to me isn't someone famous in the mainstream world...he's an old fantasy/sci-fi writer named Jack Vance...his words can fly off the page on wings of imagination and soar on the streams of color and imagery in the way he uses and invents words to paint an entire world, and it will seem real and believable however outlandish it might be in the cold light of day.

Two others can do similar things, Cordwainer Smith, who spent many years in the Orient, and Lin Carter. I recommend these three for your next leisure break, particularly Vance's Dyiing Earth series, or his Alastor novels.

I'll go back to carving my stone tablets with hieroglyphs now.

Haha, I'm saying Seuss is too advanced for me!

I don't know any of those writers, so I have a lot to check out. Vance sounds like an amazing author, so he will be first.

(I'm still out of likes, btw. It seems like it will be a fortnight before I can get caught up) 

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1

There are so many possibilities AC, and I don't see many of them being good. I just hope that Jack and Lincoln get to spend some time alone.

The only prediction I'll venture is that I'll probably get angry, and then I'll cry.

Edited by ColumbusGuy
  • Like 2

I don't know about legal things, but is the age of consent the same there as Ohio? I'd like to see the two of them get married so it would be legal...what is the time limit for common-law marriages to be recognized? Maybe they could claim that?

I know that if Linc gets carted off to jail and charged, and Mrs. S is still making excuses for the evil ones, then there will be at least one incandescent reader. :)

I know you love to build up tension and drama, that is part of what makes your stories so riveting, but I'm not sure Jack can deal with Linc being in prison...I figure it would be years before he'd get out

Maybe Dr. Kimball could stop formal proceedings claiming that to continue would be deleterious to the health of his patient--that it might even hasten his demise?

• Like 2

It won't be pleasant, that's for sure. I don't see how Mrs S will be able to excuse this, but she is in a tough spot. I have to believe her energy will be directed to protecting Jack and by extension, Linc. 

If we pick up right after, it may be too soon for an immediate arrest, I think? So that will give them some time to come up with a strategy before the investigation starts. Maybe Jackson could use whatever he has over their parents to force them to help. I'm clutching at straws, I know. This could go so many ways though... 

• Like 3

The US legal system is too complicated for me to even try to guess what could happen. In Sweden, if Jack were 14 and Linc 18, the DA would assess if it constituted a real relationship and that could be a loop-hole meaning no criminal charges against Linc. I seriously doubt any DA would want to try a case like that, but sometimes they have no choice under the law.

What I would like happen is some police chief or DA telling it like it is, meaning there is no assault or exploitation going on and the case is dropped. Then they could celebrate Christmas in peace. How mrs Shaw will handle her other two children is beyond me. I try to picture myself in that situation with my daughters on either side and I get nothing. I would be so disappointed...

• Like 3

"Lector, si monumentum requiris, circumspice."  <3 <3 <3

Well, I have been doing some "looking around", because I am intrigued by the snow globe.

A possible scene in the snow globe is the statue of Hermione coming to life (and thus stretching) and Leontes throwing himself at her feet as he can hardly believe what just happened.

'T is time; descend; be stone no more: approach;

Not sure to link this to the story, other than that it's a metaphore for Jack's recovery.

Any more thoughts ?

• Like 3

Well, I have been doing some "looking around", because I am intrigued by the snow globe.

A possible scene in the snow globe is the statue of Hermione coming to life (and thus stretching) and Leontes throwing himself at her feet as he can hardly believe what just happened.

'T is time; descend; be stone no more: approach;

Not sure to link this to the story, other than that it's a metaphore for Jack's recovery.

Any more thoughts ?

<3 <3 <3

• Like 1

Thank you, Tim, for an epic review on chapter 9! I hope everyone gets a chance to see it. Now, as to what I may be 'allowed' to say in response, I'll have to think about that... :)  

Thank you, Tim, for an epic review on chapter 9! I hope everyone gets a chance to see it. Now, as to what I may be 'allowed' to say in response, I'll have to think about that... :)

You're welcome. It took me a while to work up the courage to read this chapter, and I also wanted to have time for the epic rant I knew it would spark. ;)

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1

I finally had time to read chapter 9. I must say I really don't understand the sibs. I've tried to see things from their perspective, but I'm lost right now.

There has to be more than some warped sense of doing the right thing or plain hatred/disgust for people to act like that. What happened to Hamish? What ruined him and turned him into this hateful person? Loneliness and jealousy could explain the box of cherries, but not going to the police.

• Like 1

I finally had time to read chapter 9. I must say I really don't understand the sibs. I've tried to see things from their perspective, but I'm lost right now.

There has to be more than some warped sense of doing the right thing or plain hatred/disgust for people to act like that. What happened to Hamish? What ruined him and turned him into this hateful person? Loneliness and jealousy could explain the box of cherries, but not going to the police.

I don't know what to tell you, other than remind you the book is slightly less than half done. In fact, Chapter 10 will be the end of the first half. Please stay tuned, and know I appreciate your support and encouragement.  

Chapter 10 has some nice moments for our boys to breathe and be alone together. I hope you will like it :) 

• Like 1

I don't know what to tell you, other than remind you the book is slightly less than half done. In fact, Chapter 10 will be the end of the first half. Please stay tuned, and know I appreciate your support and encouragement.  

Chapter 10 has some nice moments for our boys to breathe and be alone together. I hope you will like it :)

I know I won't get any answers now, but I'm sure in time things will be explained. It's just annoying to not be there in the book being able to ask him myself.

Chapter 10 sounds nice...

• Like 2

In chapter 10 Jack shares his headphones with Linc to listen to music already mentioned in chapter 19 of Dignity.

I found the link in chapter 19 of Dignity not working, so for who is interested, here is a link to the enitre Vesperae Solennes by Mozart in a performance on authentic instruments.

The Laudate Dominum referred to in Dignity starts at 16:50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXe2W4CUMRI

Edited by J.HunterDunn
  • Like 3

In chapter 10 Jack shares his headphones with Linc to listen to music already mentioned in chapter 19 of Dignity.

I found the link in chapter 19 of Dignity not working, so for who is interested, here is a link to the enitre Vesperae Solennes by Mozart in a performance on authentic instruments.

The Laudate Dominum referred to in Dignity starts at 16:50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXe2W4CUMRI

Well, sometimes Youtube lets us down with International barriers. Fortunately, after rechecking the link in chapter 19 of Dignity, I am relieved to know it still works perfectly well (at least in the U.S.). It's important, for I meant to include for the reader not just the piece of music that Jack hears himself listening to during treatment, but the EXACT recording, lol.

I was able to find another video of the same recording. Please let me know if you can see this one? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLQDm7_EjlE

For my money, Teresa Stich-Randall was one of the most nuanced Mozart singers of the 20th century. As I know you favor music from the beginning of the 18th century more than the end, here's a lovely recording she did of Tellemann ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t0MtqYikDc

• Like 1