Destiny - A Novel By Ac Benus

Today's chapter was so good. It's when I read stories like this that I get more and more convinced I shouldn't even try writing something in English, as I'll never reach the level of skill in that language. It might be all in my head and driven by my own insecurities, but I just feel if I can't be anywhere near this good why bother?

Just the title had me thinking. Trappings. I would never think of a thing like that. How in one word it's possible to capture how tradition and convention can weigh us down, trap us. It takes courage to break free and Lincoln has that. Maybe Jackson too. I just doubt the parents will give up without a fight and it might not be pretty...

Also, this sentence had me almost clapping my hands, it's so good:

You know that expression about steel needing to kiss stone to spark flame..? 

What an image!

• Like 4

Today's chapter was so good. It's when I read stories like this that I get more and more convinced I shouldn't even try writing something in English, as I'll never reach the level of skill in that language. It might be all in my head and driven by my own insecurities, but I just feel if I can't be anywhere near this good why bother?

Don't compare yourself with AC ! Very few people here reach his skill level in evoking imagery and plotlines which captures the mind and grips your heart.

• Like 2

Just the title had me thinking. Trappings. I would never think of a thing like that. How in one word it's possible to capture how tradition and convention can weigh us down, trap us. It takes courage to break free and Lincoln has that. Maybe Jackson too. I just doubt the parents will give up without a fight and it might not be pretty...

Also, this sentence had me almost clapping my hands, it's so good:

You know that expression about steel needing to kiss stone to spark flame..? 

What an image!

Thank you for a highly complimentary posting! I too like the steel on stone analogy - it seems so perfect to describe hardhearted people; too bad they are parents though. Parents should love and leave room for both their kids and themselves to grow (imo),

0:) 0:) 0:)

Don't compare yourself with AC ! Very few people here reach his skill level in evoking imagery and plotlines which captures the mind and grips your heart.

:*) :*) :*) ....aw, shucks... :*) :*) :*)

• Like 4

I didn't mean to sound all kiss a**, but that's how I feel. I don't like to dabble when I do something and with any writing that's what I'll end up doing. It's not the end of the world to not be brilliant all the time, but it irks me.

Anyway, in one of those weird synchronicity moments Sweden's biggest newspaper had a long article about cancer treatment of young people. The question raised was if doctors are too aggressive and focused on treatment instead of making sure a person's final time here can be used for something other than feeling like crap for nothing.

They interviewed Fabian Bolin, a 28-year old fighting acute leukemia. He's been very open and has a blog and writes texts that are very raw and open about his battle. Yes, he's a soldier too.

http://fabianbolinwaroncancer.com/

• Like 2

The woman died. Alone, with her family only feet away, but denied access to her. The hospital then refused to release the remains to her wife, saying the same thing about 'outlawed' behavior.

Few things in recent times have been more disgraceful. My heart breaks for that family.         

I did some research on hospital policy in the US. It turns out that the situation is less appalling than I originally thought. In many hospitals same-sex-partners were already treated as "family" and since the ruling on same-sex marriage a lot of hospitals are reconsidering their views and policies.

I wanted to insert a link to the article I found, but it is one of those annoying sites where you are allowed a few free minutes to read and then have to register :angry:

Maybe the advice should be to research in days of health the policy of your nearby hospitals, so when days of sickness arrive you are prepared and can choose.

• Like 1

Anyway, in one of those weird synchronicity moments Sweden's biggest newspaper had a long article about cancer treatment of young people. The question raised was if doctors are too aggressive and focused on treatment instead of making sure a person's final time here can be used for something other than feeling like crap for nothing.

Synchronicity is more apropos than you may realize...plz refer to the title of the next chapter...you may make me post it ahead of schedule...  

• Like 2

I did some research on hospital policy in the US. It turns out that the situation is less appalling than I originally thought. In many hospitals same-sex-partners were already treated as "family" and since the ruling on same-sex marriage a lot of hospitals are reconsidering their views and policies.

I wanted to insert a link to the article I found, but it is one of those annoying sites where you are allowed a few free minutes to read and then have to register :angry:

Maybe the advice should be to research in days of health the policy of your nearby hospitals, so when days of sickness arrive you are prepared and can choose.

Thanks for doing the research; part of this book is written with the intent of showing the 'bad old days,' which hopefully very soon will be greeted with amazement that things were ever like that. Our kids, and their kids will not know of a time when incidents like the one I mentioned happening to the family in Florida were real except for in the history books, and in works of fiction, like Destiny. For that I am glad.  

• Like 2

Synchronicity is more apropos than you may realize...plz refer to the title of the next chapter...you may make me post it ahead of schedule...

I'm not sure I like the sound of that... But an early chapter is something my curious nature likes a lot!

• Like 1

I think the last chapter (ch. 7) was a bit of a challenge for the reader. That being said, so far it's received a quick number of views, and a strong number of 'likes,' so I like that.

I'd like to open up the floor here if anyone wants to ask me/challenge me on some aspects of this chapter. Perhaps it's a strong mix of topics... What do you think?  

from CG's review of ch 7 re Mrs Shaw

She needs to give Linc and Jack a lot more time alone since this is what Jack is pinning his hopes on. I know she means well, but she is being selfish in not giving the two boys the time they need as a couple.

I hadn't thought about that, but you're absolutely right, CG. Linc notices she did not go to the hotel to rest, with a caring not criticizing mind. However, Mrs Shaw is such a dominant presence that even sleeping in a chair in the room she prevents Jack and Linc from interacting the way they want. Oh they still have sweet moments, but they need time to themselves.To her credit she did try and give it to them, by taking away Jackson and Dawn, and this led to their Christmas tree kiss.

However, I agree with CG, she needs to leave the boys alone more.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1

I don't disagree that Linc and Jack should spend quality time together, and as teens, they both might wish Mrs S would stay away for longer periods, but here is how I see it. Jack is 15. At that age, I don't know that I would relinquish my sick son into the hands of any one for any period of time, including his dad, but then I have control issues.  I would have to be hauled out and then I would be back as soon as possible. Of course Mrs S tries to give that time to them when she gathers Dawn and Jackson, but I don't see her doing more than that without being forced.  Added to that, she lost Jack once because he ran away, and she probably fears losing him again. Maybe to the leukemia, and definitely to Linc. Mrs S already thinks she has a lot to make up for. Jack surely doesn't confide in her like he does Linc,  or reach for her to comfort him, she sees what's going on, so she is not going to miss a minute of time with him. Maybe just being there is helping her in a way and if Jack needs her she's available. Also, he's the only child of hers she feels maybe useful to right now.

Dr. Kimball probably feels close enough to the family to voice his personal opinions. In this case I thought he should have stayed quiet. I don't think it served anyone to bring them up again. The question of when enough is enough will always be a source of dilemma, for doctors, parents and the cognitive patients who are being subjected to the prodding and poking. It's hard enough to have your own doubts and it's kinda weird to have your doc in a sense say, " well, maybe you had the right idea, but now that you're fighting, I'm with you all the way." To me that was just not right.

Ok, so that's more than I intended to say...

• Like 2

I don't disagree that Linc and Jack should spend quality time together, and as teens, they both might wish Mrs Shaw would stay away for longer periods, but here is how I see it. Jack is 15. At that age, I don't know that I would relinquish my sick son into the hands of any one for any period of time, including his dad, but then I have control issues.  I would have to be hauled out and then I would be back as soon as possible. Of course Mrs S tries to give that time to them when she gathers Dawn and Jackson, but I don't see her doing more than that without being forced.  Added to that, she lost Jack once because he ran away, and she probably fears losing him again. Maybe to the leukemia, and definitely to Linc. Mrs S already thinks she has a lot to make up for. Jack surely doesn't confide in her like he does Linc,  or reach for her to comfort him, she sees what's going on, so she is not going to miss a minute of time with him. Maybe just being there is helping her in a way and if Jack needs her she's available. Also, he's the only child of hers she feels maybe useful to right now.

Dr. Kimball probably feels close enough to the family to voice his personal opinions. In this case I thought he should have stayed quiet. I don't think it served anyone to bring them up again. The question of when enough is enough will always be a source of dilemma, for doctors, parents and the cognitive patients who are being subjected to the prodding and poking. It's hard enough to have your own doubts and it's kinda weird to have your doc in a sense say, " well, maybe you had the right idea, but now that you're fighting, I'm with you all the way." To me that was just not right.

Ok, so that's more than I intended to say...

Defiance, you took the words right out of my mouth. It would be a cold day in Hell before I would leave my severely sick child for more than absolutely necessary. It just wouldn't happen!

• Like 2

Defiance, you took the words right out of my mouth. It would be a cold day in Hell before I would leave my severely sick child for more than absolutely necessary. It just wouldn't happen!

Even if the child would have as wonderful a boyfriend as Linc ?

• Like 1

Well, I bow to the mothers in this respect.

Not having children of my own may make me a poor judge I guess.

I think parents is a better choice of word in my case. My husband would be far worse than me.

• Like 2

Not even if it would be better for you and your child ?

Mrs. Shaw told Linc back in her home that when things got too tough he could take a break, because she would be there for Jack. Linc sees how tired she is and he cares about her, tells her to go to the hotel and sleep. And since she has to be at the hospital at night, it makes sense for her to recharge during the day. Wearing herself out does no good.

I think she would be selfish and unfair and stupid if she didn't see Linc (and Dawn) as a support enabling her to do the same thing she offered him. But since we do see her make an effort to give them time together, I wil trust that she is doing her best. I might wish for more, but I can understand why she want to be there for Jack as much as possible. And it's still early on, she may relax her grip on him gradually.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I would see it as better for my child to leave her to other kids at a time like that. Linc and Dawn aren't exactly adults. Sure, mrs Shaw could probably use more sleep, but you just give up on that when needed.

Jack is just at the beginning of his treatment. Linc doesn't know what to expect. Mrs Shaw doesn't really know Linc. I can't see her leaving right now. To call her selfish, unfair and stupid for that is not something I understand.

• Like 1

But Mrs Shaw has said and shown that she understands how important Linc is for Jack. I may dislike her for several reasons, but she has my respect for understanding that Lincoln is the love of Jack's life. She told Hamish at that horrible dinner, and she's shown it in other ways too. If we accept that she understand and condones their commitment, then it follows that she would trust Linc to take care of Jack. And I think she is trying to do it.

I'm not blaming her for clinging to Jack at first, I'm only saying CG was right in pointing out that she needs to give them more time together. It's what Jack wants; and it's what Linc wants and needs, and he is higher on my priority list than any of the others. Linc is the reason Jack wants to live, and the more time they spend together, the better. And if Jack doesn't make it, Linc will need the memories of their intimate moments (and I'm not thinking sex here) to sustain him.

I can understand Jack's mum being protective and all, but she should put Jack first, rather than her own needs. Isn't that was Dignity was all about?

• Like 1

I can understand Jack's mum being protective and all, but she should put Jack first, rather than her own needs. Isn't that was Dignity was all about?

Before Puppilull has a chance to snap your head off (JK....), I cannot see that Mrs. Shaw is putting 'her' needs before Jack's. At this point, after all these exhausting years of hope and struggle to keep Jack focused on a future, I doubt very much that Mrs. Shaw thinks much about herself at all anymore. That's somewhat sad, I think.

That being said, I do think she is frightened by Lincoln. Looking at it in the way it has been expressed here and in the reviews, one can say she's not trusting of Linc to take care of Jack... But, I doubt that is her reason, because she knows Linc was taking care of him in L.A., and it was Lincoln who rescued Jack from under the pier. 

At this point I still believe her motherly fear is that Jack has the potential of growing too 'needy' of Linc, and then that young man (whom she does think of as quite 'young') will not be able to take all the pressure and disappear from Jack's side.

Is that a natural fear? That Jack could be the one hurt the most? I think a parent would say yes.

Now I do not know for certain those are her reasons for running herself ragged by Jack's bedside, but I do have hope that the boys simply being themselves, and fearless to show their love, will work some alchemy on Mrs. S's heart. 

Time will tell.

(P.S. I'm out of 'likes,' so I will have to get back with some tomorrow) 

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 3

Yes, I was indeed in head snapping mood yesterday. Now, however, I've done a few breathing exercises and slept on it and might be able to reply.

I started thinking what in Tim's comment made me so agitated and realised that he (purely by accident) managed to find the three of the traits that annoy me to no end. People who are selfish, unfair and stupid just make me mad. To ascribe those traits to Jack's poor mother really ruffled my feathers. I know Tim didn't mean it that way, but I couldn't help myself. You should be proud, AC, making us so passionate about your characters.

So I think we'll have to agree to disagree on Mrs Shaw. I still think she is acting in his best interests. Sure, he's in love and needs Linc with him. Mrs Shaw has done so much to enable that. Just maybe she looks at their relationship with slightly more mature eyes. Honestly, how many people do you know who end up spending the rest of their lives with someone they met at 15? I know one couple. It doesn't diminish what they feel right now, but what happens in a year? I can understand if Mrs Shaw doesn't want to abdicate her parental responsibility to a person she's known for only a little while.

Also, I didn't read Dignity like that. To me, the book was about Jack finding himself, his true self and not "the sick kid". Ironically, he pushed himself aside to do so. A vacation from himself sort of. When he found himself (with the help of Linc) he could return to himself and his battle.

I don't know if this made much sense...

• Like 2

However, I agree with CG, she needs to leave the boys alone more.

I don't know if this made much sense...

I think you made sense, Puppilull. I want to point out, though, that Tim ended the quoted sentence with "more". I see in that word, that he thinks Mrs. S. should give them a bit more space, not that she withdraws from the scene.

Of course we all hope that Jack will make it. But in this stage there is the considerable possibility that he will be near the end of his short life. Seen in that light Mrs. S. by her acting deprives Linc of memories he will dearly need if he is left behind. In that case Linc will be all alone, while Mrs. S. will have her other children to comfort her. That is if she didn't estrange them enough already.

Further I think that people in these situations act more on their emotions, than that they think rationally about their behaviour.

• Like 2