Destiny - A Novel By Ac Benus

A professor I studied law with developed the "black-box-theory". In short the theory is, that a judge (the black box) is fed information about a case and produces a conclusion or verdict supporting it with the appropriate jurisprudence and/or legislation. What actually happens in that black box is not known. A possible supposition is, that the judge first comes to a conclusion based on his own personal set of values and only then searches for the supporting rules for his result.

If it should work that way, it is important to help change moral values in a society as a whole, so they can influence the change in personal values of individuals. It is a slow process, but even with small steps eventually the destination will be reached.

Edited by J.HunterDunn
  • Like 2

I heard about the black box when I studied law too! I use it as an example to my unit at work as a warning to be aware of one's own bias and prejudice. We all have it and it's important to know that. Otherwise, you start looking for answers based on what you believe. In kaw, there may nit be any actual truth, but you have to know why you are inclined one way or another when ascertaining a specific point of law.

• Like 2