From what we've seen of Rother, I can't imagine his wanting to have anything to do with a brothel or the sex trade, no matter how well it was dressed up and presented. And I think he'll want to keep his marriage monogamous.

Also, this is steampunk and the genre is all about technology. For me, Rother evokes the high-powered industrialists of the 19th century who embraced new technological innovations and used them to build civic infrastructure. For example, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he turns out to own the company that designed the airship  on which they're about to travel. :)

Edited by impunity
  • Like 1

You guys forget we're reading a Mann story!

First, no matter what we may want or guess, he's going to throw us a curve and confuse the hell out of all of us.

Second, if you think he's going to give us a nice, quiet, monogamous, BORING story, you haven't read some of his other stuff

Third, Steampunk may provide the setting and the gadgets, but not necessarily define the interpersonal relationships. He clearly stated this isn't a period piece but a universe of his own creation

Fourth Mr Ramblings is male, his thinking therefore takes places in two different heads and sometimes the results are interesting, to say the least.

Fifth, I'd suggest we have a chat with Liam and Captain Danforth. They'll most likely confirm vanilla isn't a flavor in the Ramblings' ice cream parlour.

I don't mind if there is a D/s angle to the story - but I just don't think Rother would or should involve Nathan in a sex industry. It was important to him for Nathan to be pure and involvement in that trade could tarnish him pretty quickly.

• Like 2

Mann has written plenty of monogamous relationships. It is not necessarily synonymous with vanilla.

Agreed. I have read several excellent BDSM themed stories and stories with a very dominant partner that were far from vanilla but did feature a monogamous couple. Monogamous doesn't have to be boring.

• Like 1

For those of you who are curious, here are the prompts I used for each chapter to date. I'll note the prompts I use in the forum as I announce each chapter in the future. :)

Ch. 1 “Use ‘Wonder of wonders…'” and a picture of an hourglass.

Ch 2. “Have a character have trouble with a lock.”

Ch. 3 use “You look like you’re waiting for something” and “have a character wish upon a star.”

Ch. 4 use “Cancer, Throb, and Dresser.”

Ch. 5 use “Listen to me carefully” and “Take it for what it’s worth.”

Ch. 6 use “charm, door, towel” and “Because I said so, that’s why.”

Ch. 7 use “There isn’t even music playing.” and a photo of a throne.

Ch. 8 use “Lost doesn’t even begin to cover what I am.”

Ch. 9 use “Let’s play a game…”

• Like 2