*Sneak Peek* The Holly & The Ivy (The King's Mate Series)

I'm revising aka almost re-writing one of my older stories. The posting will definitely start mid October.

Prologue

I hurry through the freezing cold to the heavy church doors. It smells like snow. The cast iron doorknob sucks the warmth from my hand, makes me wish for of a mug of mulled wine. Shit. The damn door doesn’t move one bit. I have to push with the force of my full bodyweight before the wooden contraption gives way. Promptly I hear an amused chuckle from behind.

“What’s so funny?”

“Nothing, love.”

Nothing my ass.

The warmth from the inside of the incense-smoky church hits me and I almost gag. I hate incense.

There are only a few free seats left. When I feel a tug at my coat sleeve, I follow to our pew in the right aisle. I have a bad feeling. We shouldn’t have come here tonight.

"We’re not late, a real Christmas Miracle," I grumble.

He makes a noise between a grunt and a laugh.

"We should have stayed home. I've had a bad feeling for days, but you insisted we come here. Losing our face... That's bullshit and you know it, but who ever listens to me?"

I'm whining. I just should shut up.

We sit down and I glance around the church. Nothing has changed since last year, or ten years before, or…: the large Christmas tree behind the altar, the choir getting ready for the opening song, most likely 'Oh Little Town of Bethlehem', the band retuning their instruments… “Somehow I expected that it would be different this year,” I mutter to myself.

From the corner of my eye, I can see he is looking, probably with a lifted eyebrow. “Why would you think that?”

Of course he heard that; superior hearing skill and all I guess. “Dunno… maybe because I am different?”

“Well, you were right then.” Pleased with himself he leans back and crosses his long legs at the ankles. “Something has changed this year.”

Smartass. I roll my eyes. That’s just so typical of him. Tipping my head back, I start counting the ceiling beams. I don’t know how often I’ve done this in the past years. It has always been oddly soothing, not tonight though. I shiver although the church is well heated and my stomach is churning with the little I ate. I can feel eyes on me. I need to get out of here.

He grabs my hand and entwines our fingers. "It's okay Noël. Everything will be fine."

I wish I had his confidence. There is a real chance that tomorrow the man beside me will be dead. Or I will. Or somebody could try... I stare at the Christmas tree behind the altar, its many lights get blurry, my mind slips back and I'm on the bus again, where my life took a turn. If for better or for worse has yet to be decided.

So, what do you think?

I know this isn't the right place to ask, but I still need a beta-reader...

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...