Events & Items Of Interest

There is some thing wrong with the system here! Murderers, child molesters, rapists, people who have embezzled millions and destroyed countless lives have received less than this man.

Man jailed for 22 years for stealing a television remote | Eric Bramwell must serve at least half of the sentence before he is eligible for parole

http://upvoat.com/story/man-jailed-for-22-years-for-stealing-a-television-remote-eric-bramwell-must-serve-at-least-half-of-the-sentence-before-he-is-eligible-for-parole/

sandrewn

(the prosecutor should be a shamed of himself)

or that 3 strikes law, that saw a man who stole a candy bar, sent away for life.

Edited by sandrewn

Politicians, Prosecutors, and Judges all love to act tough on crime to get reelected. Grand gestures like Three Strikes sound good, but are painted too broadly with mandatory sentences that fill prisons, but do not solve the real problem: rehabilitation. Petty criminals are not steered towards better behavior.

And white collar criminals get slaps on the wrist for much more damaging crimes. Corporations are made up of people and it’s meaningless to declare that the corporation committed a crime, but then never punish the people, including the CEO, who made the criminal decisions. Wells Fargo made a big deal of firing low-level and mid-management positions, but the CEO never admitted to personal guilt. If the CEO was unaware of the widespread criminal behavior of his staff, he is too incompetent to be CEO and should be fired – minus the Golden Parachute!

Politicians, Prosecutors, and Judges all love to act tough on crime to get reelected. Grand gestures like Three Strikes sound good, but are painted too broadly with mandatory sentences that fill prisons, but do not solve the real problem: rehabilitation. Petty criminals are not steered towards better behavior.

And white collar criminals get slaps on the wrist for much more damaging crimes. Corporations are made up of people and it’s meaningless to declare that the corporation committed a crime, but then never punish the people, including the CEO, who made the criminal decisions.

And does it work? Do judges and prosecutiors get re-elected? If that's the case, then the voters should be blamed.

• Like 2

Yes they do. Voters as a group, don’t always think things through. Catchy slogans like Three Strikes cause problems that only get addressed long after the fact. Simple black and white solutions are easier to market with soundbites than reasoned, rational discussions. The real world is messy and some people want to reduce things to stereotypes and simple solutions to complex issues.

The world is shaking its collective heads at what happened in November…

When next you look in your cupboard to see what canned goods you have in stock(well I do), try to image what someone else or from another country might be seeing in theirs.

If I had one comment to make about this, no.4 would sum it up, nicely.

sandrewn

(believe it or not)

Edited by sandrewn

When we hear of bagpipes, Scotland immediately comes to mind. Page Scrawler made an excellent comment, that they exist all over the world in different forms by other countries. Read the Wikipedia page below to get some history and pictures of some of them.

800px-MIM_PHX_2011-04-26_0136_edited.jpg

Maltese Zaqq

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bagpipes

sandrewn

Following my status entry on longest word in English(should of said in the dictionary), I found this interesting page. The world's longest place name. The actual meaning of the names is even more interesting and entertaining. So the next time you wonder what's in a name, try and find out. It could be a fascinating story.

longname_wales.jpg

In Wales(3rd place)

http://www.fun-with-words.com/longest_place_names.html

longname_nz.jpg

In New Zealand (2nd place)

sandrewn

(now you know)

Edited by sandrewn
  • Like 1

With reference to the Longest Word. The page below will answer what questions to consider when choosing a word. What criteria was considered for the selection. Also what the longest word is in a multitude of languages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_words

sandrewn

(so now I know what an agglutinative language is)

Edited by sandrewn

I'm not sure of how I went from jousting in my status, to a blurb on "Trigger(horse)" here. Wait, yes I do, it was Kitts' fault, talking about her talented horse(well, that is my excuse and I'm sticking to it).

220px-Lynne_Roberts-Roy_Rogers_in_Billy_

I remember them like it was yesterday

260px-Roy_Rogers_Prints_at_the_Chinese_T

Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigger_(horse)#Death_and_legacy

sandrewn

(those were the days)

Did you know? - In Afghanistan children need to work to support their family, but only boys are allowed to work outside of the home, because the place of girls is at home doing the housework. When the family consists of daughters, the parents are obliged to dress the girls as boys, cut their hair short and give them boys clothes. This allows them to send the girls out to work.

• Like 1
On 3/20/2017 at 6:06 PM, sandrewn said:

Humans are born with nearly 300 bones, but most adults have around 206

Where do those extra bones go?

Humans are born with nearly 300 bones, but most adults have around 206; Where do those extra bones go?

sandrewn

Many of them are/were in the skull. Infants skulls are not one bone when born, to allow the child to be born. As the newborn grows the bones meet and grow together. Not the full difference, but about 10ish.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, William King said:

Did you know? - In Afghanistan children need to work to support their family, but only boys are allowed to work outside of the home, because the place of girls is at home doing the housework. When the family consists of daughters, the parents are obliged to dress the girls as boys, cut their hair short and give them boys clothes. This allows them to send the girls out to work.

There is a really good movie called Osama where the father dies, the mother is forbidden from working, and the daughter is forced to do exactly what you describe. It won several awards at Cannes, a Best Foreign Language Film Golden Globe award, and a BFI award. I highly recommend it.

Edited by Former Member

This is one of those questions we some times ask our selves, I wonder about this or that, never expecting an answer. This particular one may never have crossed your mind, but it is interesting none the less.

How big is a stack of one trillion dollar bills?

How big is a stack of one trillion dollar bills? | Reference.com

sandrewn

(and now you know)

Edited by sandrewn
On 09/03/2017 at 7:12 PM, Uziel said:

And does it work? Do judges and prosecutiors get re-elected? If that's the case, then the voters should be blamed.

If yu live in a country stupid enough to elect Judges and prosecutors, then you gets what you pays for.... whereas is Judges and prosecutors are officer of the law, you get prosecutions and sentences in line with the law.

Doesn't it seem perfectly stupid to elect one group of people to make laws and another to implement them?

57 minutes ago, Canuk said:

Doesn't it seem perfectly stupid to elect one group of people to make laws and another to implement them?

I really would rather not have the enforcer making the laws. Theoretically, cooler heads will think through the consequences when writing laws (although we know that’s not always the case). An enforcer would likely be looking for ways to make their lives easier, not necessarily make the world fairer.

13 hours ago, droughtquake said:

I really would rather not have the enforcer making the laws. Theoretically, cooler heads will think through the consequences when writing laws (although we know that’s not always the case). An enforcer would likely be looking for ways to make their lives easier, not necessarily make the world fairer.

I think I may have been unclear in my post. I am happy for elected officials to make laws. I just think electing official to enforce those laws is weird. The enforcers should be public officials, employees of the state, employed to enforce/implement the laws made by the elected officials. 

How do you reconcile electing officials on a platform of disregarding laws made by another elected official? Case in point ss marriage: elected lawmakers decreed that ss mariage was the law, elected official sa I d they didnt want to implement ghe law as they were elected on a twisted sense of "family values" and so "morally" disagreed with the law. IMHO they have no right whatsoever to inject their morality into a law passed by elected officials. 

Ah. I couldn’t figure out why you felt the way you did.

Around here, the County Sheriff (head of the Sheriff’s Department) is an elected position. That’s supposed to give the citizens input in the direction and policies of the department. Police Chiefs are usually appointed by the City’s Mayor. In my previous city, the Police Department has been going through a series of scandals off and on for decades (rogue elements planting evidence, multiple officers having sex with a minor, tipping off that minor, excessive force, etc). The Police Department has a Court-mandated manager monitoring its behavior. By contrast, the Sheriff’s Department has had only one major scandal (signing a contract with a  health care provider without sending it out to bid).

The departments have very different tasks with the sheriffs only providing non-traffic-related policing in unincorporated areas (non-city) and staffing the county jail. While some of that unincorporated area is suburban, most is fairly rural. The population density is lower and the ethnic mix is less diverse.

I always thought they should merge the PD for my former city with the Sheriff’s Department, but some of the surrounding suburbs would probably object. There is no hint that anyone else ever agreed with me. And the court system has not even hinted that they’d want to force a merger.