Events & Items Of Interest

Most of us look back on our school days with nostalgia. Proof positive that time does heal all  OR that senility starts shortly after leaving there. The following shows others had it worse than you.

If you thought the rules you had to follow were tough, check these out and count your blessings.

sandrewn

(Pink Floyd - Another Brick In The Wall)

Edited by sandrewn

They neglected to mention that Bob Jones University only recently started allowing interracial dating.

It never made sense to me for schools to have a two week Winter Vacation (and a one week Spring Vacation that just so happened to occur at the same time as Easter!) and a Winter Concert assembly if everything else made it obvious that the theoretically unnamed holiday in question was Christmas. Decorations, carols, and other symbols of that specific holiday from that specific religion – with a very token reference to Hanukkah, of course, as an attempt to disguise the true focus! I feel sorry for any children whose family does not celebrate with gifts and a tree. Most conversations after Winter Vacation are centered on what you got.

The biggest shock is that the school that banned it was in Texas!

I’m not a fan of cats or dogs, but they seem to love me! No pets in my apartment, please.

And I’m not allergic to peanut butter, but I don’t like it much. Except in Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups or Peanut Butter M&Ms. No jars of peanut butter. (A few months ago I had Almond Butter until I used it up (buy California Almonds and Almond products).  ;-)

I have seen and heard of some mighty strange things in my life, but this one might take the cake.

There are over Seven Billion People on this World of Ours!!

To Know That a Named Cockroach has its own Wikipedia Page

When I was in elementary school we had a monthly magazine, which carried a regular column written by a cockroach on a typewriter. I don't remember much else except it didn't use capitals or punctuation marks.

When I was in elementary school we had a monthly magazine, which carried a regular column written by a cockroach on a typewriter. I don't remember much else except it didn't use capitals or punctuation marks.

That cockroach is now a troll that spews garbage on the internet…  ;-)

It’s interesting to me that the definition of interracial varies in some cases (like Lucy kissing Desi). But I’ve heard that the Kirk/Uhura kiss was actually the second interracial kiss in the US anyway.

Speaking of kissing, Same-Sex kisses have undergone an interesting evolution of their own. Rosanne’s kiss with Mariel Hemingway caused a big uproar even though you really only saw the ‘80s big hair hiding their faces. Melrose Place’s Matt (aka the Door Matt) was supposed to kiss Billy’s best friend, but the camera cut to Billy’s reaction instead – since two men kissing was too scandalous for Primetime US TV! I remember a scene with two men waking up in bed together (where it was implied that they had previously had sex the night before) would have broken the internet if the internet had existed back then. I think it was mentioned in Congress.

Last night on The Real O’Neals, Kenny kissed his boyfriend. No dramatic camera moves, dramatic soundtrack, or dramatic audience reaction. Just two teenagers kissing. His boyfriend was revealed to have had interracial heterosex with his BFF – and the heterosex was the scandalous part! (And the teenagers aren’t played by actors in their 20s or 30s.)

In 1972, M*A*S*H’s Klinger was originally written as an effeminate Gay man. But they decided it would ‘more interesting’ for him to be heterosexual, but wearing a dress in an attempt to get a Section 8 discharge. At the time, Gay men were portrayed as pathetic, effeminate comic characters. They were used as foils to prove the lead characters’ masculinity. They were never main characters and often died at the end of the program. In early US TV, their homosexuality was only implied since making it explicit would be immoral and violate Standards and Practices (aka the censors).

Edited by Former Member

Why are Some Glaciers Blue?

pressure_ridges.jpg?interpolation=lanczo

Bulging sea-ice looks blue because of light scattering.

Credit: Michael Studinger                                            

One of the most amazing sights in Antarctica is its stunning blue ice, rippling like a frozen sea.

Patches of blue-hued ice emerge where wind and evaporation have scoured glaciers clean of snow. The translucent, wind-polished surface reflects a stunning turquoise color when the polar sun peeks above the horizon. Antarctica is the only place on Earth with these incredible stretches of blue ice.

Blue ice is treacherously slippery, making walking on the surface a challenge, but people risk it for the chance to trek back through time. That's because blue ice is some of the oldest ice in Antarctica. On the continent, scientists have dug up blue ice that is 1 million years old, and researchers are searching for even older ice.

When glacial ice first freezes, it is filled with air bubbles. As that ice gets buried and squashed underneath younger ice on top, the older ice starts to take on a blue tinge. As the ice grows denser, the bubbles become smaller and smaller.

Without the scattering effect of air bubbles, light can penetrate ice more deeply. To the human eye, ancient glacial ice acts like a filter, absorbing red and yellow light and reflecting blue light, creating the beautiful blue hues of a glacier.

In contrast, snow is white because it is chock full of air bubbles. Snow reflects back the full spectrum of white light, just like a freshly poured soda has bubbly, light-colored foam on top.

blueice.jpg?1432920688?interpolation=lan
Blue-ice area near Antarctica's Mount Howe.

Credit: Stephen Warren                            

Blue ice sometimes emerges at the edge of Antarctica, where glaciers tumble into the sea. Summertime melting can also create smooth patches of blue glacial ice. But by definition, true blue-ice areas most often appear near Antarctica's mountain ranges.

The continent's great glaciers are like slow-moving rivers of ice. When these flows hit a barrier, such as a mountain range, the deeper layers of ice are forced upward, like water flowing over a submerged rock in a riverbed. Blue ice also tends to surface on the lee side of mountains, where fierce winds strip away snow and ice. Over time, the older layers are revealed through evaporation.

Blue ice covers only about 1 percent of Antarctica, according to a 2010 study in the journal Antarctic Science. Blue-ice areas usually extend for a few miles (a few kilometers) in any direction.

Antarctica's blue ice turns out to hold a rare treasure: meteorites. More than 25,000 meteorites have been collected from blue-ice areas in Antarctica. The evaporating glacial ice leaves behind meteorites that have fallen on the frozen continent over the course of thousands of years, concentrating the space rocks in one small area. Meteorite hunters make annual pilgrimages to blue-ice patches, scanning the ice while traveling in snowmobile caravans.

Blue-ice areas are also used as runways, for landing aircraft with wheels instead of skis. Governments including Italy, Australia, Norway, Russia and the United States all operate blue-ice runways.

sandrewn

1. In the lower 49 states, yes.

2. You can learn something new at GA every day.

sandrewn

Thank you for the educational posts. You’ve only posted one or two things that I already knew.

I knew they collected meteorites in Antarctica, but not where they found them.

Snow Moon Eclipse and Green Comet

The first (a penumbral) not as spectacular as a full one, the later hard to see because of the first.

Lunar-Eclipse-diagram-FREE-StarryNight_T

http://www.snopes.com/2017/02/08/lunar-eclipse-comet-snow-moon-coming-february-2017/

http://astrobob.areavoices.com/2017/02/08/get-set-for-fridays-penumbral-lunar-eclipse/

Good luck in viewing

sandrewn

(if you want, go to below to see what you missed)

Watch Live Tonight! Snow Moon Lunar Eclipse & Comet Webcasts by Slooh

By Space.com Staff | February 10, 2017 07:00am ET
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Slooh-Banner-560x50-SpaceBroadcast.jpg?1
Edited by sandrewn

I never had a pet, like a cat or a dog. I guess I never realized just how much one could cost. I think one from a shelter would be my first choice, at least I would be saving one of them from an early end.

pet-cat-dog-4-1496994.jpg

lea-1-1406111.jpg

http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/pets-animals/15-of-the-most-expensive-pets-to-own/ss-AAmF7vJ#image=1

sandrewn

(now I just have to talk myself into it)

The only thing entertaining about most of that is when the young men run into the ring with the bull and the bull snags the guy’s pants, flips him over and tears his pants and underwear off. I’ve seen a couple videos with the guy scurrying out of the ring trying to cover himself while still escaping!

I remember enjoying the book Ferdinand the Bull.  ;-)

Why we say "Bless You" when someone sneezes

sneezing-ch.jpg

Many people have become accustomed to saying "bless you" or "gesundheit" when someone sneezes. No one says anything when someone coughs, blows their nose or burps, so why do sneezes get special treatment? What do those phrases actually mean, anyway?

Wishing someone well after they sneeze probably originated thousands of years ago. The Romans would say "Jupiter preserve you" or "Salve," which meant "good health to you," and the Greeks would wish each other "long life." The phrase "God bless you" is attributed to Pope Gregory the Great, who uttered it in the sixth century during a bubonic plague epidemic (sneezing is an obvious symptom of one form of the plague).

sandrewn

That artists often specialize in the subject matter they choose is well known. I am  pretty certain that Jess Shepherd is not the first to paint over sized leaves. However hers' are the first I have ever seen and I think that they are fantastic. It is as is if I had the leaf in my hand and was using a magnifying glass to see all the minute details close up. Simply brilliant!

" For the last two years, I have been painting leaves that tell a story."

Leafscape-a-collection-of-botanical-pain

http://www.boredpanda.com/leafscape-a-collection-of-botanical-paintings-by-inky-leaves/

sandrewn