Oh, These chapters evoke and provoke such emotion, there'll be lots to say... 

It's a good story. These things need to be brought out into the open.. and I hope at least these poor kids will be thought of with more compassion. When i was out there, people looked through you, or turned away. When I was first out there at 15, it really bothered me .. but eventually I accepted it. No one sees them. Even Stephan in school, I mean wouldn't teachers notice something?  Or am I really off the mark?

• Like 1

It's a good story. These things need to be brought out into the open.. and I hope at least these poor kids will be thought of with more compassion. When i was out there, people looked through you, or turned away. When I was first out there at 15, it really bothered me .. but eventually I accepted it. No one sees them. Even Stephan in school, I mean wouldn't teachers notice something?  Or am I really off the mark?

I don't think you're off the mark at all. I think teachers notice, and they don't get involved. The jocks seem to get a free pass. Stefan has been careful to hide his scars and he's been successful, so I don't think he'd raise an eyebrow as to problems at home just yet. The principal didn't even know his name, so he's pretty much under the radar. 

We had a parent last year who repeatedly picked her kid up and smelled of alcohol. The whispers among the teachers about the parent was disgusting until the child's teacher brought it to the principal's attention. The school year hasn't begun fully, I already have a boy who hides all the balls in the classroom. Why? Because it's his Dad's weapon of choice. There are no visible marks on him, so a report to the school psychologist and principal is as far as it goes. Sometimes, those of us who care are bound by red tape... 

• Sad 1

I don't think you're off the mark at all. I think teachers notice, and they don't get involved. The jocks seem to get a free pass. Stefan has been careful to hide his scars and he's been successful, so I don't think he'd raise an eyebrow as to problems at home just yet. The principal didn't even know his name, so he's pretty much under the radar. 

We had a parent last year who repeatedly picked her kid up and smelled of alcohol. The whispers among the teachers about the parent was disgusting until the child's teacher brought it to the principal's attention. The school year hasn't begun fully, I already have a boy who hides all the balls in the classroom. Why? Because it's his Dad's weapon of choice. There are no visible marks on him, so a report to the school psychologist and principal is as far as it goes. Sometimes, those of us who care are bound by red tape... 

Well I get that, meaning the red tape. And guys like Stephan's father I'm sure can turn on the charm when necessary. I mean look at Ted Bundy. I don't suppose there is any simple answer. Would anything be done to help, if a kid like Stephan approached their teacher? Or would they be referred to the cops?

I mean I was 15, sitting in an all night donut shop in a rough part of town, and it was frequented by cops... they didn't look at me twice. Other people did and that's how I ended up with Jeff.  I guess I could have spoken up, but I was scared to death.

So there isn't an easy answer to getting help to these kids. 

• Sad 1

Well I get that, meaning the red tape. And guys like Stephan's father I'm sure can turn on the charm when necessary. I mean look at Ted Bundy. I don't suppose there is any simple answer. Would anything be done to help, if a kid like Stephan approached their teacher? Or would they be referred to the cops?

I mean I was 15, sitting in an all night donut shop in a rough part of town, and it was frequented by cops... they didn't look at me twice. Other people did and that's how I ended up with Jeff.  I guess I could have spoken up, but I was scared to death.

So there isn't an easy answer to getting help to these kids. 

And herein lies the problem. These kids are scared, and usually the people in authority or other adults are the ones they can't trust, so they don't speak up sometimes. 

And herein lies the problem. These kids are scared, and usually the people in authority or other adults are the ones they can't trust, so they don't speak up sometimes. 

I spoke to Michael. He said that it depends on the officer. He said he'd likely have had a word with me but not all would and there is no curfew for them to enforce. So unless I was causing trouble or asking for help, I was on my own.

I spoke to Michael. He said that it depends on the officer. He said he'd likely have had a word with me but not all would and there is no curfew for them to enforce. So unless I was causing trouble or asking for help, I was on my own.

That there are school resource officers - essentially police liaison officers - in public schools where we live has been a big help. But not all schools have them, and not all officers can be there for a full day. Funding is an issue.

That there are school resource officers - essentially police liaison officers - in public schools where we live has been a big help. But not all schools have them, and not all officers can be there for a full day. Funding is an issue.

Funding ...I know I'm naive but it all comes down to money ... and government. The government need to fix it, is what is often said. I want to say how about the community but we don't seem to really have them. Then there's it's my kid, my business. Didn't Dickens write something about mankind being my business. I know I know, rose coloured glasses tim. Well the world looks better through them some days....

Edited by Mikiesboy

CS Lewis wrote a grand line in The Silver Chair about believing and following what one believes in, despite arguments to the contrary. Need to go back and find it. I guess I believe we need to make the world into the picture you see through your rose colored lenses.

CS Lewis wrote a grand line in The Silver Chair about believing and following what one believes in, despite arguments to the contrary. Need to go back and find it. I guess I believe we need to make the world into the picture you see through your rose colored lenses.

That might work....

Evening news is on in the background: A mother just got arrested for shooting heroin into her 14 year old daughter, and the girl's 16 yr old boyfriend. It had been ongoing... 

omg ... why?  heroin is horrible .. mind you its great if you dont want to think or feel

• Like 1

Diogenes pointed out in a review today:

"One thing that has bothered me about this story so far is the behaviour of the teachers and school officials. Being a retired high school teacher myself, I know that school staff are generally more sympathetic to underdogs and misfits than you give them credit for, and are always on the alert for victims of bullying. Granted, bullies are good at keeping the abuse out of the sight of authority figures, but it doesn't seem credible to me that Stefan's abuse would go undetected for so long, especially when he shows up at school after a prolonged absence with visible signs of physical abuse, acting evasive and refusing to answer questions, answering "I fell down the stairs" when asked about his bruises, and so on. This would set off alarm bells in the minds of most teachers and school administrators today."

I admit this is a weakness. Will be going to the woodshed to re-edit when that moment comes. Many thanks to him.

But I do think that from Stefan's point of view, he may be projecting his fears and his relief at his father's death onto the detective. Nobody accused him; only that he's a suspect. But that doesn't register at all with Stefan, of course.

• Like 2

I have to second that notion Parker, as I mentioned in my previous review. I think it was more glaring in this chapter that the police detective would have gleaned that the kid had been seriously physically abused in about 8 seconds. The police have seen the signs before and know what to look for. Not to mention he would have seen Stefan's genuine shock at the news of his father's death and know the kid had no idea.

I imagine that they might search the house now that Stefan has fled, and they'd see evidence of something in the basement considering it wasn't exactly cleaned up. Considering all the bodily fluids are Stefan's they might find all the evidence of that horrible assault right there. Not sure how that would impact the story but just something that crossed my mind.

Edited by spikey582
  • Like 1

I have to second that notion Parker, as I mentioned in my previous review. I think it was more glaring I this chapter that the police detective would have gleaned that the kid had been seriously physically abused in about 8 seconds. They police have seen the signs before and know what to look for. Not to mention he would have seen Stefan's genuine shock at the news of his father's death and know the kid had no idea.

I imagine that they might search the house now that Stefan has fled, and they'd see evidence of something in the basement considering it wasn't exactly cleaned up. Considering all the bodily fluids are Stefan's they might find all the evidence of that horrible assault right there. Not sure how that would impact the story but just something that crossed my mind.

I tend to agree. And yeah if the kid is a suspect and goes missing, cops would be at the house faster than you can dial 911.

I have to second that notion Parker, as I mentioned in my previous review. I think it was more glaring in this chapter that the police detective would have gleaned that the kid had been seriously physically abused in about 8 seconds. The police have seen the signs before and know what to look for. Not to mention he would have seen Stefan's genuine shock at the news of his father's death and know the kid had no idea.

The information from the house will be confusing at first, but will certainly have an impact on what the police do later. No spoiling here. But Stefan's surprise at his father's death conflicted with his relief, too. I agree that better and more sensitive questioning would have been in order here. A pity it didn't happen, but then the story would have been a different one.

The information from the house will be confusing at first, but will certainly have an impact on what the police do later. No spoiling here. But Stefan's surprise at his father's death conflicted with his relief, too. I agree that better and more sensitive questioning would have been in order here. A pity it didn't happen, but then the story would have been a different one.

Well tbh the cop may have been influenced by the principle. So maybe Stefan will be questioned by a cop who's a little more on the ball.

Now that Stefan/Eric has tasted one whole day of freedom, he has to face the problem of being and staying invisible. Regardless of the relative merits or possible benevolence of the police, Stefan/Eric will regard most people with a certain amount of wariness, if not suspicion.

Now that Stefan/Eric has tasted one whole day of freedom, he has to face the problem of being and staying invisible. Regardless of the relative merits or possible benevolence of the police, Stefan/Eric will regard most people with a certain amount of wariness, if not suspicion.

He'd be nuts if he didnt.  I didnt not for 7 years and when I did it was because the guy had access to me and i couldnt get away. Was in the hospital... So yeah it makes sense.