I totally agree, Spikey. I was completely pissed off at Toby's behavior. He's invited a minor to a party and he didn't take care of him.

But I'm also not happy with Eric not telling Eustace what happened at the party. If he never learns to speak up for himself, he'll always be used as a rug. 

Timothy, that's a good point. But speaking up for himself is something that Eric is going to have to learn to do slowly. He's got years of conditioning to undo, I think.  In the meantime, Toby is probably regretting the way he treated Eric. In any case, he probably - no, definitely - doesn't know the whole story.

In the meantime, Toby is probably regretting the way he treated Eric.

and so he should.  :angry:  I hope Eric at least tells Toby why he left: "I got beat up by a red-headed guy for spending time with the girl your girlfriend introduced me to, so I decided to go home." should do the trick of making Toby completely ashamed of himself.

• Like 1

Thanks for the revision hint! :) 

Honestly, Eric is likely to be of two minds, though. Tell Toby off (not at all easy for him to even think about), or play the submissive junior and hope it doesn't ruin the friendship.

Ok I just wanted to make sure I wasn't totally misreading the whole situation. The phrase "well-intentioned, but aloof" crossed through my mind when thinking about Toby. He's friendly, but a bit too involved in his own situation. Though I'd wonder, if Eric did in fact already have some kind of friendships locally, why Toby would think he needed to be brought to some party to begin with. Also, yeah he seemed interested in having Eric at the party, but I wondered, how long before he even noticed Eric was gone. Also, considering he was the kid's ride home, you might think he'd be a little concerned with how Eric got home. Considering it took him six hours to walk home, I assume Toby ended up not driving back to his parents place, else logically he'd have passed Eric on the road home. I guess that was what the early morning phone call was for, just to make sure Eric was still breathing.

Also, Eustace's assumption about the situation seems a little stupid. I'm guessing it has more to do with the whole Anderson thing than anything from what he actually knows of Eric. A reliable, mild-mannered kid that works for you looks beaten up and that translates into "tearing the town up"? Really Eustace?

• Like 2

Thanks for the revision hint! :)

Honestly, Eric is likely to be of two minds, though. Tell Toby off (not at all easy for him to even think about), or play the submissive junior and hope it doesn't ruin the friendship.

LOL, you're welcome. I didn't expect Eric to say this in a accusatory manner, but rather as if he was ashamed of what happened... :(

• Like 1

With all that he has been through I really can't see Eric telling Toby off or even telling him what happened

I also don't think that he is going to be so trusting of Toby any time soon if ever. His fear of people is holding him back so much, but again with all his been through in life I can't blame him, I wouldn't be so quick to trust anyone either.

• Like 3

Also, Eustace's assumption about the situation seems a little stupid. I'm guessing it has more to do with the whole Anderson thing than anything from what he actually knows of Eric.

Yup. It's the whole 'Anderson' thing, I think.

Hmm, well at least Toby was aware that he'd failed to look out for Eric and apologized. I guess he'd sort of a good guy after all. But I agree with Eric he should stay away from Toby and his friends.

Oh and I laughed with delight at Eustace's surprise over dinner. I hope Erik ate his fill.

Well,  it's good to see Eric surprise Eustace pleasantly. He's not just good at working on the farm, he can cook, too!  Well, sort of. He doesn't have a huge repertoire, since his dad never let him learn too much beyond what he wanted. Toby's not a bad guy, just kind of adolescent-ly clueless. Loveable, but clueless.

Ambrose is being himself, he simply can't let go of his job, I guess. Heaven help his own kids when they grow up to be adolescents! But perhaps part of Ambrose's inquisitive nature comes from having grown up at the farm, wanting to know all about the neighbors and people nearby. The good thing is that he lives far enough away that he comes down to the farm every two weeks, and has to work in between times.

Spikey and I thought Chris Cooper would be a pretty good Eustace if the A to Z movie were ever made. Who would play Ambrose?

Edited by Parker Owens

Well to be honest, Ambrose did grow up there and "knew" the Andersons. I suspect some part of Eric's original story didn't quite align with Abrose's experiences. You know he won't let it go! He can't. His dad has this person working and eating there every day, and something doesn't quite add up. Nope! Not gonna let it go. Nuh-uh.

Edited by skinnydragon

The nosy policeman is beginning to freak me out. :(

Ha, I had the same reaction.. 

To repeat: if A to Z were made into a movie, who would be a good Ambrose? (Spikey and I thought Chris Cooper would be a great Eustace).

Ambrose, hmm. Christopher Meloni, (L&O SVU) comes to mind. He could be the type, maybe. 

The nosy policeman is beginning to freak me out. :(

It's a cop thing.. they are always the same. Even off duty, they question everything. I can't get much by my dear husband believe me.. he can smell when things aren't right... 

• Like 1

You know he won't let it go! He can't. His dad has this person working and eating there every day, and something doesn't quite add up. Nope! Not gonna let it go. Nuh-uh.

Yup, spot on - and now look what happened. I hope Eustace rips Amrose a new one, when he realizes his son spooked the help who was making him able to stay at the farm. Real clever son. :pissed:

• Like 1

Yup, spot on - and now look what happened. I hope Eustace rips Amrose a new one, when he realizes his son spooked the help who was making him able to stay at the farm. Real clever son. :pissed:

The problem with this, of course, is that neither of them will ever have a clue that's even what happened. Eric just disappeared and they'll likely never see him again. I do question the judgement of these detectives though, who have a ton of experience with all sorts of people, and yet can never see the signs of distress that Eric is actually exhibiting. The first detective decided that Eric was a murdering prostitute based on zero investigation of Eric and the say so of some yahoo school administrator. Now we have Ambrose, who decides that Eric is a drug dealing burgler based on... absolutely nothing. I don't know, Eric is constantly displaying the characteristics of an abuse victim. And a runaway, which is about the only thing he pegged correctly about Eric. "Unpredictably violent"? Really? The kid who shut down and meekly apologized when his eating habits were questioned. He's really skinny and eats a lot? Sounds like someone who's malnourished. He wears long sleeves? He's probably covering up bruises (or in Eric's case scars). Ambrose doesn't seem to be a very good detective if his conclusions are so off just based on his interaction with Eric. Oh well.

So I guess as much as I've enjoyed the last few chapters, ultimately again all these characters that were introduced will have no further baring on the story and it's more of Eric wandering like the Incredible Hulk.

• Like 1

The problem with this, of course, is that neither of them will ever have a clue that's even what happened. Eric just disappeared and they'll likely never see him again. I do question the judgement of these detectives though, who have a ton of experience with all sorts of people, and yet can never see the signs of distress that Eric is actually exhibiting. The first detective decided that Eric was a murdering prostitute based on zero investigation of Eric and the say so of some yahoo school administrator. Now we have Ambrose, who decides that Eric is a drug dealing burgler based on... absolutely nothing. I don't know, Eric is constantly displaying the characteristics of an abuse victim. And a runaway, which is about the only thing he pegged correctly about Eric. "Unpredictably violent"? Really? The kid who shut down and meekly apologized when his eating habits were questioned. He's really skinny and eats a lot? Sounds like someone who's malnourished. He wears long sleeves? He's probably covering up bruises (or in Eric's case scars). Ambrose doesn't seem to be a very good detective if his conclusions are so off just based on his interaction with Eric. Oh well.

So I guess as much as I've enjoyed the last few chapters, ultimately again all these characters that were introduced will have no further baring on the story and it's more of Eric wandering like the Incredible Hulk.

As I'm married to a detective.. i can tell you lots of them.. not all, are very suspicious and it's usually the worst case they assume first.  Mine isnt quite as negative and realizes people do things for lots of reasons.  Mike would likely want to talk to Eric, not just jump to conclusions. I think Mike would be concerned about this kid who no one knew or has seen in a home or with family.   But Mike is also a city cop and knows about runaways and things like that.  I'm not so sure that all public servants would be as negative in real life as they are in the story .. but this is fiction. 

• Like 2

The problem with this, of course, is that neither of them will ever have a clue that's even what happened.

I'm not so sure about that. Eric left behind his sneakers,  some of his clothes, and - most telling of all - his liquid detergent. Even a crappy detective like Ambrose should be able to work out the implication of that. Or perhaps Eustace will if Ambrose doesn't hide the evidence.

I would like to agree with you about the stupidity of the adults around Eric not catching on to him being abused. Unfortunately, we've had cases in Denmark where abuse had been going on for years and no one found out or made the effort to dig deeper. :no:  Makes me ashamed. 

• Like 1

I'm not so sure about that. Eric left behind his sneakers,  some of his clothes, and - most telling of all - his liquid detergent. Even a crappy detective like Ambrose should be able to work out the implication of that. Or perhaps Eustace will if Ambrose doesn't hide the evidence.

I would like to agree with you about the stupidity of the adults around Eric not catching on to him being abused. Unfortunately, we've had cases in Denmark where abuse had been going on for years and no one found out or made the effort to dig deeper. :no:  Makes me ashamed. 

To be honest, I think Eustace would have figured it out. Seriously, put yourself in Eustace's place, would you just accept so much without a word? No I dont think so. And I think that because of the kind of man Eustace is, I think he'd want to know.

Don't feel bad Tim the Elder, it happens here too.. kids starved to death in front of their case worker.  I was 15 and on the street. The first night i was alone in a diner where cops were in and out in groups... they looked at me.. but not one said a word to me and it was 2am. What the hell?  So don't be ashamed.  I wonder sometimes what would happen if they had .. or if I had. 

So it's easy for us to pick at any story .. but really.. anything can happen in the real world .. i have 7 years of stories I could tell you ... some you'd believe some maybe not.

• Like 1

It happens all over.. Neglect, seeing what you want to see and tuning out the rest. 

My sister works with an outreach program, kind of the in between Social services and the courts. They are the last preventative step before some of these kids go to jail. The stories are horrendous. And these are kids from all walks of life.. I think we as a whole should feel badly for not doing enough.. It's a sad thing. 

• Like 2

It happens all over.. Neglect, seeing what you want to see and tuning out the rest. 

My sister works with an outreach program, kind of the in between Social services and the courts. They are the last preventative step before some of these kids go to jail. The stories are horrendous. And these are kids from all walks of life.. I think we as a whole should feel badly for not doing enough.. It's a sad thing. 

There were outreach groups here too.. but I was in Jeff's clutches, he told me stories about what the workers did. I'm sure he lied to me so i wouldn't leave him..so i never went to them or let them help me.  

As I'm married to a detective.. i can tell you lots of them.. not all, are very suspicious and it's usually the worst case they assume first.  Mine isnt quite as negative and realizes people do things for lots of reasons.  Mike would likely want to talk to Eric, not just jump to conclusions. I think Mike would be concerned about this kid who no one knew or has seen in a home or with family.   But Mike is also a city cop and knows about runaways and things like that.  I'm not so sure that all public servants would be as negative in real life as they are in the story .. but this is fiction.

Oh I definitely think Ambrose had reason and was right to be suspicious. I just think he overlooked some obvious signs that he really should have caught. I could see someone who doesn't know Eric at all looking at some of what he did and being in law enforcement and seeing the uglier side of society and assuming whatever Eric is obviously hiding to be criminal activity. Sure someone covering their body like that in the heat of summer could be trying to hide track marks on their arms. But Ambrose interacted with Eric for weeks for extended periods of time, though Eric was evasive and shifty, unwilling to divulge personal details, he never gave Ambrose reason to think he was using drugs. He never exhibited behavior like people who are under the influence of narcotics often do. So considering that they had a more personal level of interaction, it seems like Ambrose could be a bit of a better detective than he is.

Not that it appears to matter anymore as Eric has moved on.

• Like 1