It's funny, AC. I actually thought the 'sakes alive' was just so Lorna, thinking she knew it was Saints. I chuckled a bit when she said it the first time, then when she repeated it I just thought it was uniquely her. I totally believe now that she heard it wrong and kept her version.. 

:) I agree - it's just so Lorna :) 

• Like 2

It's funny, AC. I actually thought the 'sakes alive' was just so Lorna, thinking she knew it was Saints. I chuckled a bit when she said it the first time, then when she repeated it I just thought it was uniquely her. I totally believe now that she heard it wrong and kept her version.. 

"Sakes alive" was one of the things I had to look up, for I had not heard or seen the expression before.

My own dictionary didn't have an answer, so I went online.

Here's some of my findings:

The Urban Dictionary

Land sakes alive

Used as a general term of exclamation or surprise similar to oh my Lord, or oh my goodness, or oh shit. Mostly used by people in the 1930's, 1940's, and 1950's. Possibly a minced oath (softened form of swearing) substitute for "For the Lord's sake."

The Oxford English Dictionary

LAND U.S.: Substituted euphemistically for Lord, in phrases the land knows, Good land! Also, (for the) land's sake, land sakes, my land(s).

For a coach who used it often see also:

• Like 2

In my reply to Peter's chapter 4 review, I mentioned the Old Cathedral. Here is another lovely shot of the interior. This structure was built in the early 1830s.

And, in case you are wondering, here's the 'new' Cathedral. Which after many years of construction, opened in 1914.

• Like 2

I don't know whether all the replies to reviews are read by all readers.

I so much liked the explanation you gave for using the exclamation point in the story title, I thought I'd bring it to the forum:

Now that you mention the Piano Department love scene, I guess I can confess being influenced by musicals I have on CD from the 20s. There is a certain way in which period audiences would be charmed by lovers coming together, and much of what happens in this novella is geared to please a period audience (although I know that sounds a bit insane!). This desire on my part even went so far as tacking an '!' on the end of the title. Why? Because many musicals of the time did that: Oh, Kay! – for example.

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.2158653

• Like 2

I don't know whether all the replies to reviews are read by all readers.

I so much liked the explanation you gave for using the exclamation point in the story title, I thought I'd bring it to the forum:

Now that you mention the Piano Department love scene, I guess I can confess being influenced by musicals I have on CD from the 20s. There is a certain way in which period audiences would be charmed by lovers coming together, and much of what happens in this novella is geared to please a period audience (although I know that sounds a bit insane!). This desire on my part even went so far as tacking an '!' on the end of the title. Why? Because many musicals of the time did that: Oh, Kay! – for example.

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.2158653

Thanks for posting this, Peter

• Like 1

The feedback I've received over the last chapter has just been phenomenal! Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. 

Anyone care to guess what the next installment will bring us story-wise...?  

• Like 1

The title being Lazy Sunday ‘fore Christmas suggests no working for the troupe, so plenty of time for personal interaction.

The talk between Bet and Singer about her mother could take place.

Lorna is yet to be interviewed by Lowell and if I recall correctly so is Dandiprat Dave.

If I were Lowell, though, I would not “interview” anyone but Alden: all day, privately in my hotelroom. ;)  ;)  :yes: 

Edited by J.HunterDunn
  • Like 3

The title being Lazy Sunday ‘fore Christmas suggests no working for the troupe, so plenty of time for personal interaction.

The talk between Bet and Singer about her mother could take place.

Lorna is yet to be interviewed by Lowell and if I recall correctly so is Dandiprat Dave.

If I were Lowell, though, I would not “interview” anyone but Alden: all day, privately in my hotelroom. ;)  ;)  :yes: 

Thanks, Peter. I'll be posting the latest 'love scene' chapter in the next half-hour :):yes::) 

• Like 1

I'm now more grateful than ever that you started the 1929 story with a flash back, else I'd be very worried for Bet and Glen now.

I always knew the novella would get this intense, but what I did not always know is that I would have the Initiation. At some point, it just seemed a must; readers had to know at the start that things will work out. It is a Christmas story after all ;)   

• Like 2

:thankyou: for the wonderful Christmas present, I absolutely LOVED the ending. So romantic and so clever with the Santa Claus and CocaCola ad resolution. I'd be impressed if I didn't know you and your amazing ability to weave fact and fiction together to such a perfect whole.  :worship:

• Like 3

:thankyou: for the wonderful Christmas present, I absolutely LOVED the ending. So romantic and so clever with the Santa Claus and CocaCola ad resolution. I'd be impressed if I didn't know you and your amazing ability to weave fact and fiction together to such a perfect whole.  :worship:

Thank you, Tim! I'm glad you liked the novella...it helps when I have history that good (as in, It Had To be Good!) to work with. The fact that Coke's Santa was THE Famous-Barr Santa is something not many people even in Saint Louis know. It's nice to bring it to a broader audience. 

• Like 3

Oh this boy has got some reading to do!!   ~sits back and thinks about.. a warm comfy bed.. big pillows to lean on and a tablet logged into GA~  Yeah that's where I'll be in the morning... 

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

I'm letting myself start to map out the 1945 tale. I don't think it will be as long as either Katie's Sketchbook or It Had to be Good!, but we will have to see ;)

Anyone have much information on wartime food from the ear...? 

• Like 1

Denmark was fairly well off food-wise during the war. But coffee was almost impossible to get, and of course chocolate. My mother (who was born just before the war) remembers the first time she tasted a banana and an orange after the war. She also remembers having a dress made from parachute silk (this was late in the war when the Brits threw down weapons etc for the Resistance Movement).

• Like 2

Funnily enough, I know more about Wartime food in Britain than America. That's because I have seen food rationing often discussed on British shows, and read about it in food magazines. 

Lots of vegetables on both sides of the Atlantic, and in North America we had our Victory Gardens. Home canning was big, and recipes for veggie loafs appeared. Sugar and coffee were rationed, so Coke became a better way to get caffeine and sweetness, and I have even seen recipes using Coke in chili and the like. Chocolate was rationed at home as well, as the lion's share went to men and women in uniform to enjoy.

In Britain, the government confiscated all wheat and required a 'brown bread' variety to be sold exclusively in the store. It was healthier for sure, but people there grew to despise it and never eat whole wheat bread after food rationing ended in 1952-53. 

In America, we did not have forced consumption of whole grain flour-based products.       

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 2

Have you ever read the book 84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff (or see the film)? That's also revolving around the food rationing in Britain compared to the relative affluence in USA. And of course I liked the 'food packages' from Denmark. There were some awesome scenes in the movie, my favorite is the one with the guy living with his old aunt.

• Like 1

Have you ever read the book 84 Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff (or see the film)? That's also revolving around the food rationing in Britain compared to the relative affluence in USA. And of course I liked the 'food packages' from Denmark. There were some awesome scenes in the movie, my favorite is the one with the guy living with his old aunt.

I have not seen (or read it), but the title is familiar...

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1

I have the book and it is a favourite. From the date I inscribed in the book I actually bought it in London on my birthday in 1980 . A charming book (also containing the sequel: The Duchess of Bloomsbury street). .

• Like 1

I have the book and it is a favourite. From the date I inscribed in the book I actually bought it in London on my birthday in 1980 . A charming book (also containing the sequel: The Duchess of Bloomsbury street). .

:heart:  Yeah, I liked that one as well. Did you read Q's legacy ? I loved the exam with the map question.  Helene Hanff had the most wonderful humor, including poking fun at her own quirks.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been slow at starting the next tale, but I can report that I have my basic outline ready to go for the 1945 novella.

Years ago, a fellow collector of Famous-Barr memorabilia sent me a binder full of employee newsletters. These range in date from late 1944, to January 1947; he gave them to me because he had an additional set.

Since the issues came out weekly, I have about 60 for most of the entire period. Reading them all (yes, I know, I'm a dork…) has taken considerable time, but I wanted to get a feel for the place and era.

I took many notes, copying out and noting the date and page number for various reports I found touching, funny, or sometimes just plain sad, and wound up re-envisioning my story in the process.

A new character was added to my story. Or, two really – the young woman in charge of issuing Store Chats every Friday without fail, and the Store Chats themselves! They contain so much charm, I felt I had to seize the opportunity and share it with you all.

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 3