' Live-Poets Society ' – A Corner For Poetry

For the first posting, I'd like to draw everyone's attention to the latest poetry prompt. It's on Childhood Verse, as we have just finished the holiday season, it seems a good time to write about kids.

Mikiesboy has started us off with a pair of brilliant poems, and I'd encourage everyone to check them out and discuss matters here. Naturally, leave a review, but this forum can be a place to continue the conversation.

I like Tim's poems a lot. I think he's captured the spirit of the prompt to a tee. What do you all think…? 

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1

Hi and Welcome! This is an open thread, intended for poets to help one another on GA. It's not tied to any one work, but a place where we can exchange ideas, get feedback on a project we're intending to post, or one that's already up. :)

Questions and advice are always welcomed, so don't be shy about stopping by now and again to say 'hey.'

Oh cool... you did it!!

• Like 1

Cool! :) I'll go ahead and check out tim's poems!

I know I'll be coming here to seek advice on Meter and other forms I may have trouble with. So, thank you AC for starting this thread :hug:

You're welcome, Drew. I'm sure you will like Tim's new poems

• Like 1

Tim's latest are great, read them and reviewed.

I like that you're doing this. I don't consider myself a poet and truly lack in understanding/knowledge of the varying forms. This will be an education for me.

• Like 1

I like that you're doing this. I don't consider myself a poet and truly lack in understanding/knowledge of the varying forms. This will be an education for me.

Aw! Dugh, but you are a poet :hug: the poems that you've posted in CoTT and your statuses are beautiful :) and if I recall correctly, you're already a master at haikus and tankas.

Edited by Drew Espinosa
  • Like 1

I agree with what Drew said! The status update you posted this morning proves you are a fine poet at heart. It's a really lovely walk with your pup over frosted grass.

If you want you can post it here.

Aw! Dugh, but you are a poet :hug: the poems that you've posted in CoTT are beautiful :) and if I recall correctly, you're already a master at haikus and tankas.

Maybe Drew, we'll see. Yes, I've written haiku and tanka since learning the style in high school.

• Like 2

Maybe Drew, we'll see. Yes, I've written haiku and tanka since learning the style in high school.

Then you're in the right place dugh!  Maybe you'll want to learn other forms through AC's Prompts. 

• Like 1

I'd like to, it's that confidence thing, the "rules" scare/intimidate me.

Oh man, I know how you feel. But here's a suggestion, I know you know Haiku and Tanka, but read those prompts to get a feel for them and then go on to the next. There's no pressure and well you have this place and AC will help. I can a little bit. 

I think the first prompt I read was Ballades, I thought what the heck is this???  Well AC very kindly said, start at 1 ... so I did.. they taught me rules and the names of things ... as you go through them. So you wouldn't jump in Ballades straight away. Anyway, up to you but that's what this place is for... 

• Like 1

I'd like to, it's that confidence thing, the "rules" scare/intimidate me.

Believe me, I understand :)

In school, poetry was the hardest thing for me to learn. It took me a while to figure out themes, symbols, and just plain what the hell was being said. Even now, after having a fantastic English teacher during my last two years in high school, it takes me at least a few read-throughs for some poems before I get that "Aha!" moment.

So, I was deeply intimidated by the poetry prompts when I chanced upon them months ago. But, Renee posted a blog: Poetry Prompt Me! and after reading it and the comments, I decided to take the plunge.

Funny thing is, before I posted my first Tanka, I've never written a poem before (at least intentionally). And here I am, going through AC's prompts :)

Oh man, I know how you feel. But here's a suggestion, I know you know Haiku and Tanka, but read those prompts to get a feel for them and then go on to the next. There's no pressure and well you have this place and AC will help. I can a little bit. 

I think the first prompt I read was Ballades, I thought what the heck is this???  Well AC very kindly said, start at 1 ... so I did.. they taught me rules and the names of things ... as you go through them. So you wouldn't jump in Ballades straight away. Anyway, up to you but that's what this place is for... 

Dugh, I second tim's suggestion :)

• Like 1

So, I was deeply intimidated by the poetry prompts when I chanced upon them months ago. But, Renee posted a blog: Poetry Prompt Me! and after reading it and the comments, I decided to take the plunge.

Thanks for including the link! It's brilliant that Renee put all the poetry prompts and challenges in one place. 

Holy! This is good. It should be a very interesting and informative space! Not that I'm a poet or anything but it's will be good practice.

I'd like to, it's that confidence thing, the "rules" scare/intimidate me.[/quote

I totally get this part..

• Like 1

Holy! This is good. It should be a very interesting and informative space! Not that I'm a poet or anything but it's will be good practice.

I'd like to, it's that confidence thing, the "rules" scare/intimidate me.[/quote

I totally get this part..

Come in Def and have some wine.. start the poetry prompts at number 1 (as AC suggested I do when I freaked out at Ballades) that way you learn the terms, the forms in order, one at a time... much less to fear that way. And you can share here with people who love poetry, and learning and/or ask questions. We'll surround you and keep you safe in the centre of the circle!!  (((hugs)))

• Like 2

Come in Def and have some wine.. start the poetry prompts at number 1 (as AC suggested I do when I freaked out at Ballades) that way you learn the terms, the forms in order, one at a time... much less to fear that way. And you can share here with people who love poetry, and learning and/or ask questions. We'll surround you and keep you safe in the centre of the circle!!  (((hugs)))

...omg...we have wine...? We'll be the most popular forum ever! :yes:

• Like 1

I hope y'all will share with the underage lad 0:) (don't worry, I'm only several months away from drinking age :P )

In Ontario you can drink at 19... 

• Like 1

In Ontario you can drink at 19... 

In Germany you can drink at 16, well everything but the hard stuff like vodka, whiskey and such. But discussing drinking age isn't the reason you opened this thread, right? I mean at one time we could try a drinking song, something like whiskey in the jar,  or 'Are you drinking' by Charles Bukowski.

• Like 2

Oh, is this an Ontario-based forum...? hehe

um..... no?  :/

In Germany you can drink at 16, well everything but the hard stuff like vodka, whiskey and such. But discussing drinking age isn't the reason you opened this thread, right? I mean at one time we could try a drinking song, something like whiskey in the jar,  or 'Are you drinking' by Charles Bukowski.

Yeah what aditus said ... a good ol drinking poem ... which we can add music to at a later date !!

• Like 2

I've learned so much about writing (and myself) doing these prompts. Yoga for the brain, remember?

Not going in order works, but it's easier to follow along the learning curve. That balladeer or the ghazal almost broke my brain. LOL

Dugh, the 'rules' are actually helpful to break from your usual style of writing. Otherwise at least I end up doing a poem in the same way over and over. Besides, rules are made to be broken. You still learn from it!

• Like 1