' Live-Poets Society ' – A Corner For Poetry

16 minutes ago, AC Benus said:

I've been typing up my old poetry again and feeling depressed. I had to skip ahead to when I was 21. This one I wrote soon after coming out. Hope you like it.

Something quieter in the brain

Speaks of something gentler in the heart,

Which shouts of something stronger in

The soul.

I know the answers not at all,

But now, I know what question to ask.

Something sweeter in the smile

Speaks of something kinder in the look

Which yells of something greater in

The soul.

beautiful AC .. xo  coming out, something i did but much younger than you.. maybe easier for me because it was a different time.. but honesty with yourself does quiet you. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AC Benus said:

I've been typing up my old poetry again and feeling depressed. I had to skip ahead to when I was 21. This one I wrote soon after coming out. Hope you like it.

The soul.

The soul.

This is sublime. You write, and I must listen. I hear, and my heart responds.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, AC Benus said:

The soul.

The soul.

Straight through heart. Loved it very much. I can feel for you Ben. Just lovely... :heart::heart::heart::hug::hug::hug:

Edited by Emi GS
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, AC Benus said:

Dreams

D.H. Lawrence

All people dream, but not equally. 
Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their mind, 
Wake in the morning to find that it was vanity.

But the dreamers of the day are dangerous people, 
For they dream their dreams with open eyes, 
And make them come true.

_

Thank you for posting this awesome poem. I love it. 

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, AC Benus said:

Oh, my gosh...still so much to learn. Why oh why is this poet not as well known and quoted as his contemporaries?! I'm sad to say I only discovered his work today, but happy to say I will share it here. The sentiments in a poem like this should resonate deeply with most of us.

I Am!

John Clare 

I am—yet what I am none cares or knows; 

My friends forsake me like a memory lost: 

I am the self-consumer of my woes— 

They rise and vanish in oblivious host, 

Like shadows in love’s frenzied stifled throes 

And yet I am, and live—like vapours tossed 

Into the nothingness of scorn and noise, 

Into the living sea of waking dreams, 

Where there is neither sense of life or joys, 

But the vast shipwreck of my life’s esteems; 

Even the dearest that I loved the best 

Are strange—nay, rather, stranger than the rest. 

I long for scenes where man hath never trod 

A place where woman never smiled or wept 

There to abide with my Creator, God, 

And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept, 

Untroubling and untroubled where I lie 

The grass below—above the vaulted sky.

its beautiful AC .. thanks for sharing  

• Like 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, AC Benus said:

And sleep as I in childhood sweetly slept, 

Untroubling and untroubled where I lie 

The grass below—above the vaulted sky.

Oh man... how I long for what's described here. John Clare says it much better than I could.  

Thank you for sharing, AC. I will look him up.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

AC and i were talking about John Clare, the poet, and also a character in Penny Dreadful. I liked this.. John Clare/the Creature reciting Wordsworth's,  Ode on Intimations of Immortality.   I found it very moving, beautiful ... if you have plans to watch this wonderful show.. you may want to avoid this:

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Mikiesboy said:

AC and i were talking about John Clare, the poet, and also a character in Penny Dreadful. I liked this.. John Clare/the Creature reciting Wordsworth's,  Ode on Intimations of Immortality.   I found it very moving, beautiful ... if you have plans to watch this wonderful show.. you may want to avoid this:

Loved this show. Loved his character. Loved this scene. Forgot he was named John Clare. Thanks for posting, tim. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

Loved this show. Loved his character. Loved this scene. Forgot he was named John Clare. Thanks for posting, tim. 

beautiful wasn't it Sir .. .some things need no explanation.. they just need to be heard.. just like people.. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

This is beautiful. Play it...but don't watch. Listening is fine, but there are spoilers!

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Mikiesboy said:

I've been impressed by the writers' portrayal of the Creature. It's rare to see any representation fairly accurate to Mary Shelley's book. She was interested in writing a great novel dealing with a loveless father (i.e. as a stand-in for man's suffering and God's apparent apathy). Her Creature was born beautiful, and Frankenstein loved him. He then began to disintegrate, and good doctor took away his love and support, thereby making his creation turn ugly in his heart as well. As I say, that part of Shelley's work is never portrayed because it's too primal, and yet it's the ting that makes Shelley's work immortal. Accurate versions on film are rare: there's the 2004 horror-flick, and more importantly, the 1973 screenplay by Don Bachardy and his husband Christoper Isherwood. "Frankenstein: The True Story" was ground breaking. If you can watch the attached vid, go to min 54:00 to see the unveiling of the "creature" and the doctor's reaction per Shelley. It involves the word beautiful....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oluS5aPcurc

• Like 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, AC Benus said:

I was talking to my dentist yesterday. He's a young man, maybe 23 or so, and while he had me incapacitated started talking about reading Bram Stoker and others. Later he mentioned having read Shelly's Frankenstein. His observation about the book was very apt and concise. He said it's the doctor who's the monster in the book.

Couldn't have said better myself :)

True. The monster represents Frankenstein's own inner self. Similar to Jekyll and Hyde. We each have dark sides. 

Edited by MacGreg
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

True. The monster represents Frankenstein's own inner self. Similar to Jekyll and Hyde. We each have dark sides. 

Daughter is reading Frankenstein in her AP English class. The teacher put great emphasis on getting an unabridged copy of the book. i believe she would agree about the doctor being the monster.

• Like 4

Hollywood made the Creature the monster. Saw a show once, which had much sympathy for the creature, who was hated and shunned.  Beauty is as beauty does. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, MacGreg said:

I would think Shelley's point is that the creator is incapable of loving his creation once it turns unbeautiful. To think of parenthood along those line, that is, qualified on who is asking for love, is monstrous. Shelley's relating this to a seemingly absent God in the daily suffering of humanity is what guarantees her book immortality.    

• Like 4