Good morning. I woke up at six and my first thought was 'I wonder if there's a new Leopard chapter to read.' So of course I couldn't fall asleep again. ;)

And I (almost) got to leave the first review, :D

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 3
Kevin, unfortunately, doesn't have a lot of influence at the Sydney Swans. As in almost none...

I didn't mean to imply he would actively say anything about Ty (the way he's been doing with Deon, lol). The scenario I thought up was him talking about Deon and accidentally mentioning the brat and him being much nicer now he was away from his awful father. It probably wouldn't take more than a Swan recruiter overhearing something like that to have them react like Isaac and start checking upon Ty.

Of course, I want him to end up with the Blues, but it would be nice if he got some encouragement now that we know he'll have to suffer the disappointment of Jim and Deon getting approached by Carlton. At least, their chances of being drafted will go up even further. 

Arrghh, do we really have to wait two weeks for the next chapter? :no:

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 2

Great job bringing us up to date on the characters. It took me a fraction of a moment to recall who each of them was, but you managed to hit enough detail my brain kicked into gear in no time at all. If CJ had been in Australia during the season, instead of in December, I might have been tempted to send him to Melbourne to catch a Leopards game. Hope you get enough of an inventory you feel comfortable posting weekly updates soon.

• Like 3

I reread the last chapter of Leopard Spots, treat in itself and then went on to the new book. Excellent start and some new faces. Thanks also for setting expectation of a chapter every two weeks. Next Saturday will be a drag but i can look forward to regular installments.  

While I enjoy participating in sport, I am not an avid spectator but I have learned that i love to read about Aussie football as much as I love your characters.

Welcome back!

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator
Arrghh, do we really have to wait two weeks for the next chapter? :no:

Sorry, but yes. I really prefer to post regularly so the readers know when to expect a new chapter. I was intending to hold out until I had 10 chapters written before starting to post, and I originally thought that would be in February. It's March and I've only got 8 chapters written so far (I'm hoping to finish chapter 9 today) and only 7 edited. I'm way behind where I wanted to be. The work commitments that have been cutting into my writing time have just been extended by another month, with the possibility that they could be extended further.

As a reader, I prefer a regular posting cycle so I know when to check for something new. There are stories that I used to follow where it's been months (in one case, years) between updates -- I don't ever want to do that to my readers.

Great job bringing us up to date on the characters. It took me a fraction of a moment to recall who each of them was, but you managed to hit enough detail my brain kicked into gear in no time at all. If CJ had been in Australia during the season, instead of in December, I might have been tempted to send him to Melbourne to catch a Leopards game. Hope you get enough of an inventory you feel comfortable posting weekly updates soon.

Reminding readers of the who was who and what has been happening is one of the challenges in doing a new book in a series. Especially with a series like this where there's not just one or two significant characters. I'm glad you think I succeeded :boy:

• Site Administrator

It's been pointed out to me that the link to the Western Bulldog's code of conduct in the Author's Notes for chapter 1 is broken. I'll fix it shortly, but I just thought I'd go looking at some of the AFL club websites to see what other clubs said. Only a few have an explicit code of conduct on their website, but others have it as part of the membership terms and conditions:

Western Bullogs Football Club

As Western Bulldogs Members we will abide by the values and the fundamental principles of our Club. While barracking and cheering are a part of our great game, Western Bulldogs members are accountable to the code of conduct that is represented through the Be Loud, Be Fair campaign.

Western Bulldogs Membership Code of Conduct:

1.)    As a member of the Western Bulldogs Football Club, I will conduct myself in way which contributes to Western Bulldogs events being family-friendly enjoyable experiences for all who attend - this means refraining from engaging in disruptive and/or violent behaviour, foul or abusive language or obscene gestures.

2.)    I will not engage in nor endorse any form of vilification on the basis of race, gender, religion, ethnicity, age or sexuality.

3.) While at Western Bulldogs games and events, I will not engage in conduct that could bring the Club or the game of Australian rules football into disrepute.

4.) In any forum, including in the media, where I am acting as a Western Bulldogs Member or am identifiable as a Bulldogs Member, I will not engage in conduct that could bring the Club or Australian rules football into disrepute.

5.) As a Western Bulldogs member, I have the right to hold and express robust views about our Club, our Board, Club Management and employees; and our players and team, but I will not display behaviour and language that is abusive or malicious.

6.) Should I breach any of the above conditions of membership, I understand the Club has the right to act in the following ways:

- Provide compulsory education sessions to correct any behaviours that are in conflict of the Code of Conduct
- Temporarily suspend membership until conflicting behaviours are resolved
- Revoke membership rights and privileges permanently should the Club deem the offence necessary of such action

“As a Club, we are against all forms of abuse, or any other action that degrades or disparages people and negatively impacts their match-day experience, our Club is for everyone and we want our fans to be expressive and in full voice when supporting our team, but we also expect that they are mindful of their surroundings.”

Peter Gordon
President 
Western Bulldogs Football Club

St.Kilda Football Club

2015 ST KILDA FOOTBALL CLUB MEMBERSHIP TERMS AND CONDITIONS

The below terms and conditions govern the purchase of an St Kilda Football Club (St Kilda) Membership for season 2016. These terms and conditions are correct at the time of publishing but can change at any time at St Kilda’s discretion, in which case you will be notified of the relevant changes.

MEMBERS CODE OF CONDUCT

Whilst barracking and supporting your club is a vital part of the game, offensive language and gestures are not in the spirit of the game. Likewise, aggressive behaviour, including yelling and swearing when dealing with St Kilda staff, representatives or event staff will not be tolerated.

Furthermore, St Kilda Members who consume alcohol on a game day are to do so responsibly so that their behaviour does not adversely impact the event for other patrons within the reserve. Drunkenness at any level will not be tolerated.

Bullying and vilification towards players or other supporters is also unacceptable. By being a St Kilda Member, you are agreeing to be tolerant of diversity and to be inclusive of other members and supporters.

St Kilda Members who breach this code of conduct may face membership penalties including cancellation without refund. If a St Kilda Member is to encounter a problem on the day/night of a game, we ask that they contact an attendant or security guard to assist in dealing with the problem.

Adelaide Crows Football Club

11.   Club Member Code of Conduct

While barracking and supporting your club is a vital part of the game, offensive or aggressive behaviour (including yelling and swearing when dealing with Club staff, agents or AFL or other event staff) will not be tolerated. Club Members who consume alcohol on a match day are to do so responsibly. Drunkenness will not be tolerated. Club Members who breach the behaviour code of conduct may face penalties including cancellation of Membership without refund. The Club endorses the AFL’s stance on vilification and has a zero-tolerance for members or supporters that abuse the opposition, opposition supporters, or umpires on grounds of race, religion, gender and sexuality.

And, for completeness, the AFL Vilification and Discrimination Policy

The AFL industry does not tolerate vilification in any form and is committed to ensuring safe, welcoming and inclusive environments for all people involved in Australian Football.

The AFL aims to address the issue of vilification and discrimination at all levels of Australian Football through the AFL Vilification and Discrimination Policy, which states:

“No League Participant or Club Official shall engage in conduct which may reasonably be considered to incite hatred towards, contempt for, ridicule of or discrimination against a person or group of persons on the ground of their:

• Race;
  • Religion;
  • Gender;
  • Colour;
  • Sexual preference, orientation or identity; or
  • Special ability or disability.”
THE ISSUE

The issue of vilification and discrimination affects many sectors of the community and can significantly impact the health and well-being of both individuals and community groups. The following statistics show the importance of creating safe and welcoming environments for all people, regardless of their background.

• Research has established clear links between ethnic and race-based discrimination with issues such as depression, psychological distress, stress and anxiety.
  • Almost a quarter (24.6 per cent) of Australia's population was born overseas and 43.1 per cent of people have at least one overseas-born parent.
  • Indigenous players make up 6.5% of community football players. The percentage of Indigenous people in Australia is around 2.5%.
  • Nearly 45% of the Australian population will experience a mental illness at some point in their lives.
  • There are currently around 95,000 women playing football.
  • 8.6% of men and 15.1% of women reported feelings of attraction to the same gender.

• Like 1

It is great to see this series back on! The first chapter made my day, yesterday :)

So many characters have yet to make a reappearance. I didn't see where you mentioned a chapter every 2 weeks so I was already looking forward to next Saturday, but then I stumbled upon this thread. Oh well... take your time and post whenever you are ready. It has worked well in the past. Faithfull readers will always be there. 

• Like 1

I didn't see where you mentioned a chapter every 2 weeks so I was already looking forward to next Saturday, but then I stumbled upon this thread.

It was in the other thread about this story which has been retroactively renamed as "Coming Soon."

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to be able to post faster, but my writing time is very limited at the moment. I'm trying to keep to a regular posting cycle and that means posting slower than I'd prefer.

No worries, it wasn't a criticism. I think you can give yourself credit for posting 8-9,000 words/chapter. That's about double what seems to be the norm here.

Edited by impunity
  • Like 2
  • Site Administrator

Great chapter Graeme!!!

i think suddenly Ty, Deon, Dave and Jim might be sought after in the upcoming draft. Remember Kevin will likely turn Sydney's attention on the four instead of just Deon. 

Liking the little intro to some new characters and a new storyline at the end of the chapter. 

As always Graeme, thanks for sharing what you can when you can.  :worship:

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Sorry, but the best I can do is to let you know that I managed to complete the first draft of another chapter yesterday. The writing is going really slowly but I am doing my best to make sure I'm posting regularly, even if not as frequently as we'd all like.

• Like 2