• Site Administrator

I liked it, too :) Since the AFL grand final isn't the focus of the story, it's only a minor spoiler. The news about the joint function between the Rainbow Swans and Purple Bombers is great, as was the information about two other clubs having unofficial LGBTI supporter groups. As my note at the end of chapter 1 said, I really believe that the AFL is becoming more and more gay-friendly. There's still a long way to go, but enough people are pushing in the right direction :boy:

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator

Ross running out of the cafe had me in stitches. Why? When I was 21 and had my two seperarate lives, me and a 'straight' friend went to Hawaii after finishing Uni. We were out going bar to bar one night and went into yet another one. My friend Al went to the bar to get a couple of beers and I started wandering around. I think I noticed a lack of girls but what put two and two together was the guys dancing and grinding on the dance floor without shirts on. I made a beeline back to the bar where Al was just turning around with the beers. I mumbled something to him that we had to leave and said he said we just got there. I said I'm leaving and immediately turn and probably ran out the door. 

About a a half hour later he came out (after having 2 beers) and laughed at me and told me he never knew I didn't like gays. Also that most everyone including him got a laugh out of the look of terror on my face. 

I guess when when you aren't out, you are always trying to protect that secret identity. I figured that many gay people around they might say or do something that might make Al figure I was gay. I couldn't risk it. 

Im sure that is how Ross feels right about now and although I chuckled, I also know the fear is very real. 

BTW Al and I are still best friends and he was the first friend I actually came out to. 

• Like 3

BTW Al and I are still best friends and he was the first friend I actually came out to. 

Wow, what a story - and I'm sure Al must have laughed about it even more after you came out to him. I hope you were able to laugh with him. :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, sorry I meant Stuart, not Steve in my review. It's too early in the morning. :lol: Ross' instincts are good, Stuart may resolve some of his sexual tension and let him be himself for a few guarded hours, but I fear he's a possessive predator or at least has a few issues which could make this a very unhealthy relationship for Ross. But perhaps Ross will be able to tell his best friend or Jim about being gay and that way he can have someone to help him if needed. Or I may be seeing ghosts... ;)

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Seeing your answer to runner's review I couldn't help thinking Jim ought to advertise for fellow AFL footballers in the closet. If enough of them came out at the same time, there wouldn't be so much pressure. ;)

We have the same problem in Danish football (soccer?). No one wants to be the first, even in a relatively safe place like Scandinavia. Some people have a theory that gay guys leave the sport before they get to the (semi-)professional level and that's why there are no out football players in Denmark. Somehow, that's even sadder. :(

• Like 2

So, the question is whether Graeme will be willing to write an openly gay AFL player into his story in 2014, when this hasn't yet happened in reality. :huh: Given his attention to detail and grounding of the story in actual AFL history, I suspect not. Therefore, we may be able to predict a couple of plot points: 1) Jim will not be drafted this year , and 2) Ross will either be drafted and stay in the closet or  end up in the VFL and come out.  :blink: With respect to Ross, I think it will be the latter. 

Edited by impunity
  • Like 1

It would also be better for his mental state of health. :o

I edited my post above to reverse the order of "come out" and "end up in the VFL." I realized that, as written, it sounded causative. I completely agree that Ross would be happier without the constant anxiety of remaining closeted. There have also been hints that his playing might not yet be up to AFL standards, so he'd probably benefit from a year of Julie's coaching. And the Leopards are likely to need a forward to replace Deon. :)

Although, Graeme did let the Lilydale Leopards win the championship.  :yes:

True! So sometimes the HEA trumps being true to history. :)

Edited by impunity
  • Like 2
  • Site Administrator

Interesting speculation. Timothy, I'd be pretty sure that there are gay footballers in Danish football. I remember reading an article on the suicide of an English footballer who was in the closet while he played, and I've heard a radio interview from someone who claimed to be the ex-boyfriend of an AFL player (ex-boyfriend because the required secrecy got too much for him), so if there are gay players in English football and the AFL, there is almost certainly gay players in Danish football. But, as you've said and as Jim said back in Leopard Skin Cover, no one wants to be first.

There were rumours back in 2014 (I think) that there was going to be a group of AFL players come out at the same time, but nothing happened. I'm not really surprised. Disappointed, yes, but not surprised. My personal view is that no one should be pressured to come out to make a statement. I'd be more than happy if the first gay AFL player came out after retirement -- it's a step in the right direction that wouldn't risk ruining their career.

• Like 3

Here's what I think. This story continues to be awesome because it balances reactions. There isn't a kind of avalanche in the real world. These guys are beginning to learn how Tony and Jim are a couple. So are Liam and Neil. Ross hasn't seen it. He is still struggling.  Deon and the Leopards are beginning to see their friends as ordinary.  Others are only seeing it as new.  However, Graeme is doing it in a realistic way.

• Like 3
  • Site Administrator

With the combine coming up in the story, now's an appropriate time to let everyone know that the 2016 AFL US combine is currently on in Los Angeles. According to the AFL website, there are 18 US athletes trying out...and breaking records :) Also, as it says in that article I've linked, this week was also the debut in the AFL for Mason Cox, one of the early USA recruits to the game. He played for Collingwood who had an easy win over Essendon.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I believe a person should come out because they want to, not to make a statement.

You have a good point, and I don't want them to come out to make a statement, but in order to be able to date whoever they want and live their life openly. From your Leopard stories we have seen first hand what it means to gay footballers that they cannot be themselves. I'm sure Jim's story isn't unique and the same for Ross. Their orientation should be unimportant, but we all know there's a long way to go.

• Like 2

The draft is broadcast live on TV, though in 2014 that was through a pay-TV channel so only the subscribers to that particular supplier could watch it live. It was also broadcast on the radio (I listened in on the Internet broadcast and took lots of notes  :P), and also updated live onto the AFL website. Anyone interested would know the results within seconds of it happening.

So, they'll be watching at the club? Presumably the Leopards would pay for a subscription. 

It'll be interesting to see how early in the draft the brat gets picked. :) 

• Like 1

Hi Graeme, I want to start your Lilydale Leopards series. Do I need to have pretty good understanding of Australian football to follow along before I begin reading? :)

Edited by Drew Espinosa
  • Site Administrator

Definitely not. :) I wrote the stories on the assumption that most readers have never heard of the game. That's because I have read too many stories about American sports where I had no idea what they were talking about. I still don't know what role a tight-end plays...

• Like 3

Hi Graeme, I want to start your Lilydale Leopards series. Do I need to have pretty good understanding of Australian football to follow along before I begin reading? :)

Drew, definitely read it! This series is far and away my favorite on the site. :yes:

And almost no one knows less about sports than I do. :*)

Edited by impunity
  • Like 2

Drew, definitely read it! This series is far and away my favorite on the site. :yes:

Well, I didn't know much about it either, and I have no problems understanding the Leopard series. It's awesome and has lots of great characters you'll like (even thought most of them are straight).

• Like 2

Definitely not. :) I wrote the stories on the assumption that most readers have never heard of the game. That's because I have read too many stories about American sports where I had no idea what they were talking about. I still don't know what role a tight-end plays...

Really Graeme? You don't know what a tight-end is? I'd explain but I don't need to get in trouble with you Mods anymore! LOL

Do you know what a wide receiver is?

• Like 2

Thanks Graeme, I'll begin reading it! :D

Impunity, I'm probably even more illiterate on sports than you. Which is surprising since my town (like pretty much everywhere in the US) is obsessed with American Football :P

Well, I didn't know much about it either, and I have no problems understanding the Leopard series. It's awesome and has lots of great characters you'll like (even thought most of them are straight).

Tim, I'm sure I'll like them all :yes: Hell, many of the characters I like on GA are straight, including your own Rob and Jazz, lol.

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator

Really Graeme? You don't know what a tight-end is? I'd explain but I don't need to get in trouble with you Mods anymore! LOL

Do you know what a wide receiver is?

In American football terms, a wide receiver is the guy running along either the left or right side of the football field, trying to get free to receive a pass from the quarterback. At least that's my understanding. I'm sure there are potential sexual innuendos that can be made about someone who is a wide receiver or tight end, but this is a PG-13 forum... :P

• Like 2

Impunity, I'm probably even more illiterate on sports than you. Which is surprising since my town (like pretty much everywhere in the US) is obsessed with American Football :P

My husband and I refer to them collectively or individually as "sportsball."  :rolleyes:

I haven't heard anyone mention that they aren't able to follow the sports information. On the contrary, Graeme spends a lot of time during the story making sure all the Australian football details are explained to readers who aren't familiar with the sport. The thing some readers, myself included, have had a little trouble with is the very large number of characters. It can be challenging keeping them all straight, especially in the first book. However, Graeme has provided a very helpful dramatis personae as the prologue to the first book. I referred to it a lot, and still do occasionally when minor characters turn up. I found it especially helpful to keep track of who lived with whom as a way to remember which was which. 

• Like 1