[Cynus] Seeking Your Opinion

For those of you who like/read my stories, I'm hoping you'll have some input to offer me right now. I'm at a bit of a crossroads, with time running out to make a decision, and I need to figure out where I'm headed.

I finished writing "From The Cup of The Worhtless" in mid-December, and my editors finished with the later chapters in mid-January. It often takes me awhile to get back into writing after I've finished editing something that long, and so it didn't surprise me that it took me a few weeks before I even attempted to write something again. This is one of the reasons I like releasing once a week, because I prefer to have something posting at all times, and if I didn't have time to recover, this wouldn't happen.

But this year has been different, and I don't entirely know why. Writing has not come easily for the past four and a half months, and I'm struggling to get anything done. I went through a couple of different phases during this time, and I'm still struggling on the latest one.

First, I thought it was because I was trying to write the sequel to "The Navigator". It didn't pan out the way i thought it would, and I didn't like the direction it was heading. I shelved it and decided to come back to it later. I've never been great at writing sequels, so this didn't come as much of a surprise to me, but yet I still tried my next step . . .

Which was to attempt to write the sequel to "From The Cup of The Worhtless". Again, it didn't take. I struggled for a few weeks to write that, and it didn't go anywhere, either, even though I had a full outline and everything. So, I eventually shelved it in frustration and looked at my calendar. I still had time to write something before I ran out of chapters in "FTCOTW", so I gritted my teeth and dug deeper.

And I went deeper than I should have, probably. I delved into some emotions of mine I haven't tapped into for a long time. I started writing the most emotional piece I've ever written, and it started to have some negative effects on me. My health suffered and so did my mental state, and after I reached a certain point in the story, I also knew I had no idea how it ended because it was spiritually autobiographical. I was forced to shelve that one, not because I couldn't write it, but because I knew I wasn't ready to finish it.

Which brings me to my current dilemma, and I only shared all of that information because I'm in desperate need of direction now, and sometimes it helps to know where I came from. I am about a third of the way through a new story, and it was flowing well at first, but then I came up against a wall because I realized something about it. One of my beta readers took a look at the first chapter and made an observation which forced me to look at the story as a whole. I'm not taking this one opinion as a blanket judgment on the story, but when I looked at it afterward, I had to acknowledge something painful about it: the whole story was a giant cliche. It's all been done before. The characters are flat representations of stereotypes I've seen employed time and time again. 

Although I may not have always succeeded on this (And you're welcome to tell me where I've fallen short. In fact, I welcome that feedback, because that will show me where to improve, and that's some of the best kind of feedback I can receive), I try to avoid cliche in my writing, unless I'm writing a parody or satire. I'm certainly not perfect in this, but I know I've improved at it over the years, and what really bothers me about this current story is that I feel it's a step back.

So, here's where you come in. I'm completely lost on where to go from here. I can either:

1) Finish this story anyway, just to have something out there when FTCOTW finishes.

or

2) Shelve it and start working on something else. Try to find something that clicks. Find my muse again.

I need some thoughts. Some feedback on this. I simply have no idea which way to walk.

Please provide your opinion. I'd love to hear from any of you. 

I find it better to put something out that you're proud of than to just have something out. If you don't enjoy your own creation, others won't really care much. Maybe, you could shelve the story and do short stories or prompt responses until something clicks or you feel has a concept that would work for a larger story. You may need a bit of a break emotionally speaking as well after the story you spoke about. I'm not much of a writer, but I don't think the end of FTCOTW should be a hard deadline for you. Option 2 would be my vote as it may help you be happy with your writings.   :hug: 

• Like 2

I think if you read and listen to what you wrote in your own post, you'll find you've answered your own question. At least it seems clear to me. To hell with deadlines, buddy... you have to feel good about what you are creating, so unless your outlook changes about how you see #1... you should go with #2... write something that will please you... you're too good not to... much respect... Gary....

• Like 3

I find it better to put something out that you're proud of than to just have something out. If you don't enjoy your own creation, others won't really care much. Maybe, you could shelve the story and do short stories or prompt responses until something clicks or you feel has a concept that would work for a larger story. You may need a bit of a break emotionally speaking as well after the story you spoke about. I'm not much of a writer, but I don't think the end of FTCOTW should be a hard deadline for you. Option 2 would be my vote as it may help you be happy with your writings.   :hug: 

I think if you read and listen to what you wrote in your own post, you'll find you've answered your own question. At least it seems clear to me. To hell with deadlines, buddy... you have to feel good about what you are creating, so unless your outlook changes about how you see #1... you should go with #2... write something that will please you... you're too good not to... much respect... Gary....

I think you're both right, and I've started something new today, and by sheer coincidence, it seems I like it! We'll see how that holds up over the next few weeks, but it's going well so far.

• Like 1

You're tying yourself up in knots. Write something you like. Poem, flash, something different, relax and enjoy creating something new. Don't put stuff out just because. Gary's right you answered your own question.

• Like 4

You're tying yourself up in knots. Write something you like. Poem, flash, something different, relax and enjoy creating something new. Don't put stuff out just because. Gary's right you answered your own question.

I totally did, but thank you for your input all the same. :) I just started something, and I think I just fell in love. I'm writing a comedy! I've never written a comedy before! :D

• Like 3

I totally did, but thank you for your input all the same. :) I just started something, and I think I just fell in love. I'm writing a comedy! I've never written a comedy before! :D

brilliant! i like writing funny stuff...i look forward to reading it!

• Like 1

brilliant! i like writing funny stuff...i look forward to reading it!

I look forward to you reading it, too. :D

I was going to say...write the cliched story as a parody, but it seems you've come up with your own solution  :P

And it's going well. I'm already well into chapter 2 and I started yesterday.

cliché or no, when you have pushed forth with your current piece which has stimulated your writing organ again, revisit your other piece. You may find that, since it is a personal piece, that it is the evocotive piece that may be your masterpiece. I find when I make art that I have to put it away for a while and look at it later with fresh eyes. I see the good in it then.

We all have to remember that every story has been told before. What makes the story unique is the fact that we each pass it through our own lense. This can make the story new and unique. 

I started one of my pieces similarly to you. The Seashell was my new piece that just came out of nowhere and I have loved writing. It was inspired by music I heard. My most difficult piece is Brandon Smiling because that one is 'me'. It is crushing to write it sometimes. But the pain I bleed into the work comes through and turns a once 2 dimensional character into somone 3D and real. I started the Seashell when I was stuck on Brandon. Now...I have connected the two stories in my outline and its reinspired both pieces.

I love you and your writing Cynus. You are an inspiration to me! :heart:

• Like 2

We all have to remember that every story has been told before. What makes the story unique is the fact that we each pass it through our own lense. This can make the story new and unique.

To not use something because it is cliched isn't always the wisest course. There is a reason they get used and come up so much and it really depends on how you use it rather than if it's been done before. Sometimes a cliche is lazy, but sometimes we get to put our own spin on it and that makes it worthwhile.

I'd probably shelve it for now and let your mind work through it in the background. The sub-conscious has a way of working through problems without us focusing our conscious thoughts on them, and then solutions present themselves. Again, just because we've seen it before doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

• Like 5

Well I'm a huge Navigator fan and I've been waiting on a sequel for a long time but honestly a part of my reading experience is to be amazed by simply pondering the effort and pleasure that the author must have put out so I'd rather wait a decade for a Navigator sequel than for a rushed work that you aren't pleased with. As for writing new stories, look at it this way, how can a reader be pleased with a story if the writer wasn't? Best wishes Cynus! :)

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

To not use something because it is cliched isn't always the wisest course. There is a reason they get used and come up so much and it really depends on how you use it rather than if it's been done before. Sometimes a cliche is lazy, but sometimes we get to put our own spin on it and that makes it worthwhile.

I think this is exactly what I needed to hear right now, thanks Beagle. :)  I've been struggling lately with coming up with ideas that aren't clichéd, so maybe I just need to relax about it and think about putting my own spin on things. 

Cynus, I think you put an awful lot of pressure on yourself to be a prolific writer.  It's ok to take a step back now and then to recharge.  Then you can write what's in your heart and your readers can reap the benefits.  :hug: 

• Like 3

cliché or no, when you have pushed forth with your current piece which has stimulated your writing organ again, revisit your other piece. You may find that, since it is a personal piece, that it is the evocotive piece that may be your masterpiece. I find when I make art that I have to put it away for a while and look at it later with fresh eyes. I see the good in it then.

I started one of my pieces similarly to you. The Seashell was my new piece that just came out of nowhere and I have loved writing. It was inspired by music I heard. My most difficult piece is Brandon Smiling because that one is 'me'. It is crushing to write it sometimes. But the pain I bleed into the work comes through and turns a once 2 dimensional character into somone 3D and real. I started the Seashell when I was stuck on Brandon. Now...I have connected the two stories in my outline and its reinspired both pieces.

I love you and your writing Cynus. You are an inspiration to me! :heart:

Thanks, M. It's always good to know I'm not the only one dealing with these sorts of issues.

Since starting this new story of mine, I've actually seen a way to continue the other. It isn't so bad, really, I was just going through a rough spot and nothing seemed to be working. I'm still going to finish the new one first, but I might switch immediately back to clicheville and finish it up after this.

I'd probably shelve it for now and let your mind work through it in the background. The sub-conscious has a way of working through problems without us focusing our conscious thoughts on them, and then solutions present themselves. Again, just because we've seen it before doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

You have some good points here, Dave. I plan on returning to it when I'm done with "Fearless", and I'll go from there. At the time this started, I was incredibly frustrated with a number of things, and this was just one last straw to break the camel's back.

Well I'm a huge Navigator fan and I've been waiting on a sequel for a long time but honestly a part of my reading experience is to be amazed by simply pondering the effort and pleasure that the author must have put out so I'd rather wait a decade for a Navigator sequel than for a rushed work that you aren't pleased with. As for writing new stories, look at it this way, how can a reader be pleased with a story if the writer wasn't? Best wishes Cynus! :)

Thanks, Roman. I think the mistake I've made in trying to write sequels in the past is that I've always attempted to write them differently than the first story. I don't normally outline heavily, but every sequel I've tried to write has felt like I needed to, and so I have. I already know the characters and what they're like, so outlining should be an easy way to speed up the process, right?

Apparently not for me, and I need to learn that lesson. I just need to start writing the beginning and see where it takes me. Who knows? We might see a Navigator sequel before the end of the year.

I think this is exactly what I needed to hear right now, thanks Beagle. :)  I've been struggling lately with coming up with ideas that aren't clichéd, so maybe I just need to relax about it and think about putting my own spin on things. 

Cynus, I think you put an awful lot of pressure on yourself to be a prolific writer.  It's ok to take a step back now and then to recharge.  Then you can write what's in your heart and your readers can reap the benefits.  :hug:

Yes, relaxing certainly sounds nice, doesn't it? Wish I knew how to do that. :P

There are reasons for needing to be prolific which are out of my control, but it's certainly a stressful side of my writing strategy. This new one is fun for me. I don't know about it becoming any sort of literary masterpiece, but it is definitely fun. Hopefully it'll make my readers smile and laugh, and they'll not even realize the stress it took to write it. After all, four months of frustration are being poured into this lighthearted piece.

Is the comedy writer's philosophy stone something which turns frustration and anger into laughs?

• Like 1

I'm glad you posting this and getting several considerate and useful replies has pulled you through the frustration. I just wanted to say I think you're demanding too much of yourself if you hold on to the ambition to be posting new stories all the time. I can understand wanting to keep writing, but don't be upset if you feel they are not ready to post. No writing is wasted, you may return to it later, use it in a new way, pick out phrases to be a start of a new story or simply see it as therapy which served its purpose of keeping you writing. Taking a step back like you've done here, can be the way to get going again. :yes:

God skrivelyst, min ven. :hug:

• Like 2