What Makes You Want To Replay A Game Over And Over Again?

Just curious - I know some people are completionists and certain games require multiple runs to do everything, but are there games that keep drawing you back in even if you've seen all there is to see and done all there is to do? Are there specific features that get you going?

For me, tactical rpgs and dungeon crawlers like the Etrian Odyssey games get more than their fair share of replay. There's just something about the customization, the careful planning, etc. that keeps bringing me back to do new campaigns.

• Like 3

I am still addicted to the Dragon Age series. I play for the story. If the game has a good story with multiple characters available for interactions, I am more willing to become addicted to it and will play them. I'm not much for playing video games, but Dragon Age, now Mass Effect, and games along those lines do grab me for awhile.

I want to see how relationships play out in the game differently... and the different endings, or attempting to go through the game in opposite directions of what you typically do.. etc. As long as they come out with games with a lot of story, exploring, side-quests.. and isn't so linear, I'll likely play it. :P 

• Like 5
  • 1 month later...

Charactwr creation, and diversity of choice! I'm crazy about good character creation, roleplay value, and a good story! For me a game that is a constant replay for me is the entire Mass Effect Series, as well as the Dragon Age series. Others being ones like Bioshock, for the atmosphere of the game (Bishock, and Bioshock 2.), a good story and engine can keep me invested in a game. :D

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...

The things that make me want to play games again are an exceptional story, different things to do (such as different branches), or a specific mechanic that makes the same game play fun. I play a lot of management and builder games which lend themselves well to repeated play. Basically, if it's good enough I would be willing to replay it.

• Like 4
  • 1 month later...

Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Skyrim are games I keep restarting over and over with new characters. With the first two, even if you've done everything there's usually another way to do everything you've done, a different alignment to play, different choices to make, and not to mention different NPCs to romance. :P With Skyrim you have a bit of that as well, but in addition I keep modding my game, giving me new quests to complete, NPCs to meet, and places to explore. Try as I might, I can't get sick of it for long...

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

I love Mass Effect, Dragon Age and Skyrim.  I have The Witcher 2 and 3, and I'm honestly afraid to start them because I KNOW I'll disappear for weeks at a time to play them.

I'm also in the middle of replaying South Park: The Stick of Truth.  This is prep for the upcoming South Park: The Fractured But Whole (say it out loud).

The biggest thing dragging me back into games is I like getting every last achievement.  It's almost an OCD thing for me.  But RPGs and action RPGs are huge for me.

When I'm not doing those, I seem to have developed a thing for racing games. I've spent a lot of time mindlessly venting with Forza.  I do so in single player because I am take no prisoner when I'm driving.  lol

• Like 3

I played Skyrim .. and did every single thing .. everything. Hundreds of hours. But i'd do it again and I hear the anniversary upgrade will be available for PC soon if it isnt already ... so maybe ...

Edited by Mikiesboy
  • Like 5

I played Skyrim .. and did every single thing .. everything. Hundreds of hours. But i'd do it again and I hear the anniversary upgrade will be available for PC soon if it isnt already ... so maybe ...

I'm getting a new gaming PC tomorrow, so I'll definitely be getting that remaster. It's supposed to be free off Steam for the PC if you've bought Skyrim with all DLC or Legendary edition before. :)

• Like 4

I'm getting a new gaming PC tomorrow, so I'll definitely be getting that remaster. It's supposed to be free off Steam for the PC if you've bought Skyrim with all DLC or Legendary edition before. :)

That's right.. I've got skyrim on the pc and xbox.. i should get on there and dl it i guess. .. have fun with your new pc!!

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age always draw me back in because of the different choices you can make, with an almost completely different experience the next time you play. Like, the paragon and renegade system in the Mass Effect trilogy. 

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

I have played Mass Effect so many times I actually know where all the enemies arrive.  I've also played the entire Assassins Creed games multiple times from start to finish.  Though Black Flag and Rogue tend to be my favorites.  Red dead redemption is also a favorite.   Open world games with puzzles and different choices are what really keeps me coming back.  

J

• Like 2

Most of the games I've played has had multiple endings, based on your actions and choices in the game.  So, like you said, multiple playthroughs are needed in order to see them all. Others, I just like and don't mind playing them over again. With MMO's each race and class has specific storylines, so multiple run throughs on those as well.

• Like 2

I'm an old head, so I love the Mafia series. ^_^ Mafia 3 is full of hilarious glitches that keeps me in stitches, and the game play is repetitious. But the open world, and multiple endings makes replaying so worth it. The game is cheesy, but in a good way. You know, gangster from Mafia 2 is no longer the cool guy, but now more like Robert De Niro in 'Goodfellas.' :P It's set in the late sixties, and pulls no punches on the turbulent times down South. The soundtrack is authentic, and the best I've heard to date in any video game. When the last dlc comes out in July, I will play through the game one more time, and then tuck it away forever. Well...maybe not forever.

On 2016-6-29 at 3:41 AM, Alex said:

Charactwr creation, and diversity of choice! I'm crazy about good character creation, roleplay value, and a good story! For me a game that is a constant replay for me is the entire Mass Effect Series, as well as the Dragon Age series. Others being ones like Bioshock, for the atmosphere of the game (Bishock, and Bioshock 2.), a good story and engine can keep me invested in a game

Oh my god, I think you may be my gamer doppelganger! Yeah, character creation, diversity, story and gameplay are what get me. Has to be an epic combination of those things. The Mass Effect and Dragon Age series are prime examples of that. I also like the Elder scrolls, Fallout, and Assassin's Creed for that too (Though obviously AC doesn't have the character creation, but I do like the customization in it.). I'm far from a completionist. I've started Skyrim a good 15 times by now, and I've only completed the main story twice. It's all in the journey!

Edited by cloverreef
  • Like 2