Okay! I keep seeing all the coverage of the San Jose Sharks/Pittsburg Pirates Penguins (I said I wasn't a sports fan!) Stanley Cup finals. It seems like a badge of courage for hockey players to appear at press conferences with a single tooth showing when they speak.

Don't they have mouthguards effective enough to prevent tooth loss among hockey players?

During those same sports reports, they always show Stefan Curry chewing on his mouthguard. So I know at least some athletes wear them.

Is it just a macho thing? Or do French-Canadians just like wearing dentures?  ;-)

Edited by Former Member

I think mouthguards are only effective to a certain point. After a direct hit with a puck, teeth tend to get knocked out regardless. Also, it seems to be uncomfortable and makes it difficult to speak, so some playes choose to not wear one.

In Sweden, there's a law for players born 1984 or later to wear one, but it's a rule treated with some lenience. Not like the neckguard.  

The mouth guards I've bought for my boy state that they protect against chipping, not loose teeth. 

The single tooth may be more a matter of time than pride. It takes two dentist visits to get a crown, as it takes time to make the crown. It may be the same with a replacement tooth.  Professional teams are on the road a lot, so they may have to wait until the season ends to be able to see the dentist twice?

Also, Pittsburgh Pirates are the baseball team. The  hockey team are the Penguins.

• 2 weeks later...

Having played it's basically a combination of what everyone is saying. Mouth guards unfortunately aren't that reliable , one time I got slammed into the boards and hit my face on the ice and my tooth went flying, another time a stick came up and smacked me in the mouth and took out another. But for some players it can be a pride thing, I've definitely seen people proud to be missing teeth, it can show a level of toughness if done right. Also a lot of players have dentures but refuse to wear them during any of the regular season even if they're not in a game (I'm not sure why that one is, but hockey players are extremely superstitious). If you want there are also compilation videos of hockey players either pulling out their own teeth or searching on the ice for their missing ones, its a crazy but beautiful sport

• Like 1