Young Athletes Coming Out

Many of you are probably already aware of the website known as outsports. I've been watching the site for awhile now and have interacted with some of the people there. What's been so surprising to me lately is how many people, and especially younger athletes, are starting to come out. Part of that is in response to what happened in Orlando. It's served as a catalyst for people to live openly and show at least their little part of the world that there's nothing to fear from being LGBTQ.

It's been surprising to me that it's mainly been youth that have been reported as coming out. Of course, it's a site specifically for LGBTQ athletes, so there's reasons for that I'm sure, but it's also interesting because these are youth athletes at the beginning of their potential careers, and they no longer see it as an issue that could hurt them professionally, the way it hurt Michael Sam.

It's very inspiring, and it's also exactly what queer youth themselves predicted would have the most impact in changing people's minds and pushing back against homophobia in our society.

I hope this starts a trend where more youth and more athletes start coming out.

Oh, and for discussion, here's the most recent one... one young man writing about another. 

http://www.outsports.com/2016/6/20/11986080/gay-soccer-player-sam-johnson

• Like 2

That's so inspiring. Takes a lot of guts. I know there are even some pro organization that are encouraging it, the Edmonton Oilers of the NHL allow players to use pride tape on their sticks during practice and warm ups (they can't use bright colors during games or im sure some would) and another NHL club the Washington Capitals are even having pride night! I know I plan on going to the New York Mets pride night next month! Thanks for sharing the site though, I can't wait to read them.  

Its incredible how much things have changed since I was in high school. I played high school football from 2006-2009, and no way in hell would anyone have considered coming out then and in that environment. One kid got somewhat outed and the other guys made his life a living hell for the rest of the season. In the years since that all ended, I've found out about 6-7 other guys who turned out to be "not straight" in some form or another. Several of them were the ones who tortured the poor guy who got outed the most. 

I'm glad to see its all changing, because homophobia in sports has always been a massive problem.