Since we have a spider thread, we should have a snake and caecilian thread. I hate snakes, but pictures of them don't bother me too much. 

Did you know that the largest venomous snake is the king cobra?

hqdefault.jpg

There are two snakes considered the largest. We'll start with the heftiest, the green anaconda:

Eunectes_murinus2.jpg

The longest is the reticulated python:

reticulated-python-for-sale.jpg

The most venomous is the Inland Taipan:

poisonous-snake.jpg?resize=550%2C388

This amphibian is a Mexican burrowing caecilian, and it is not a snake:

453794991.jpg

I might even have nightmares over this thread. I hate snakes. Does anyone else detest these creatures and their amphibious counterparts?

• Like 3

The Inland Taipan beat out the Risk Snake for most venomous? Cool!

I think the Belcher’s Sea Snake has more, but the chances of a human being bitten by one are quite remote. Inland Taipans and Eastern Browns are the two deadliest land snakes due to their highly toxic venom and the latter's aggressive nature. Black Mambas and Blue Kraits are also incredibly dangerous. 

• Like 1

Snakes have honestly never bothered me, venomous or otherwise. I wouldn't ever own one as a pet, they're a bit too high maintenance and don't show affection. I know they're just a creature that will 'tolerate' you and not 'appreciate' or 'like' you as a dog or cat would. So I've never saw their appeal past the striking markings some of them have.

I have wrangled copperheads and timber rattlesnakes into empty large garbage bins and released them farther away from the house before. I typically let non-venomous snakes go wherever they please, as long as they don't begin to nest under the house/porch..

Lizards and frogs on the other hand... completely harmless and they make me a bit repulsed.. lizards more than frogs. Tree frogs and the sort are cute little things.. but lizards they're so zippy and unpredictable.. lol. 

Spiders don't freak me out either.. I am more repulsed by fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, and roaches... blech. 

• Like 1

Funny you mention mosquitos, Krista. People don't realize this. I saw a list of the animals responsible for the most human deaths. Humans were in 2nd place. Mosquitos were in 1st by a wide margin. Snakes were in the top 10, but the number was infinitesimal compared to deaths by other humans and mosquitos. 

• Like 1

Other than the webs being a little messy, spiders don't bother me.  However; I think there's a primordial fear and loathing of snakes that crosses species.  I've been known to scream like a little girl when surprised by a large snake and my dog gets upset when he sees a coiled up garden hose.

Last month, this story got coverage for several weeks and they kept using the same still shot.  I was ready to quit reading the news.

http://www.wral.com/orange-county-man-bitten-by-king-cobra-out-of-hospital/15725206/

• Like 1

Yeah a King Cobra is one venomous snake that I wouldn't try to wrangle into a garbage bin... they're too agile.. lol. I'm used to the fat rattle snakes and copperheads that move slowly unless they're coiled up to strike out at you... but the king cobra.. and well black mamba can actually run a person down to bite them. :P I'm thinking the Brown Snake in Australia is known for that aggressiveness as well... 

I know so much about snakes because of the hunky Jeff Corwin and the fantastic late Steve Irwin though... I could honestly watch them two all day everyday and not get bored. lol. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, do you know the floppy snake? I'm sure, you have seen one already. Or something, what looks pretty much the same :snickers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atretochoana

I was about to post this, then when I checked out the above, I realized it was the same thing. Two differences though. Hers' was all scientific, I chose a 12 year olds take on this and a tongue in cheek video to expose( :gikkle:) this new find.

Penis Snake! No one will ever use its proper name now and it is not even a snake.

http://grist.org/article/you-will-not-be-able-to-stop-looking-at-this-penis-snake/

The survival of this new find does not look promising

Sandrewn

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I want to keep this thread going. I have always been interested / fascinated / scared of snakes and did not even know what a Caecilian was, let alone how to spell it. I think everyone who has ever heard a snakes' rattle, has wondered how they do it? This father and son had the same question and this is what they found out.

sandrewn

(the sound of a rattle always got my full attention)

Edited by sandrewn
  • Like 1

Snakes don't bother me. Mind you, I dont have to worry about them, there is one rattlesnake here I'm aware of, but none around us. The Eastern Massasauga Rattler .. endangered here in Ontario sadly.

Have to agree about bugs, don't like crawling things, spiders i will tolerate but anything else ... sorry you have all of the outdoors, i'm not responsible for what happens to you in my house. 

• Like 3