I realize we're now all the way to chapter 16, but if there's anything that people want to talk about or add to the discussion, come on through.

I may periodically put in my own few cents as well. But mostly this is a playground for my dear readers to come chit chat, and for me to show y'all some love by answering what questions I can.

• 2 months later...

Well folks. That's all she wrote. Extra Innings was a treat to write, but I'm glad that chapter of Devin's life is over. 

Be on the lookout for announcements about the next story involving Devin, Alex, Bryce and the rest of the cast and crew. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Loved the story and am waiting for the next one.  I live in a small Washington town and am familiar with most of the locations in the storys.  I can not even imagine being a gay teen in Lind or Colfax....  simply frightning.  Keep up the good writing.

R

Edited by wenmale64
  • Like 2

Ooooh. Always glad to hear from readers who live in the area. First all, let me just say that those of us in the Pacific Northwest live in the absolute best part of the world, and I wouldn't trade our little corner of the continent for anything.

First, I want to apologize for my delay in responding, I hadn't expected a post so I haven't been checking as religiously as I should. I appreciate that you took the time to come visit my story discussion thread.

It's definitely still an issue, even in a state as socially liberal as Washington. We tend to forget that a lot of that is because of Seattle, and the rural areas are still catching up. I was surprised when I had a look at the election results for the marriage equality referendum just how widespread opposition was in the smaller towns and counties. I firmly believe that as time goes on, those attitudes will be changed when the people living in these communities see that the world hasn't fallen. More important than that is having effective LGBTQ advocates in those communities who can speak to their values. As an urbanite, it's not my place to come into rural communities or small towns and talk about how their values aren't correct. That's something that is going to have to change from people who are already there standing up and being counted, and it's a terrifying thought like you said.

One of the things that I'm glad that I get to explore in my writing is how being out can change peoples' minds. I don't do that as much with Devin, but Bryce gives me a way of showcasing what *can* happen when there's someone who's out of the closet and unwilling to allow older beliefs to take root. In Extra Innings, its clear that his teammates and fraternity brothers respect him as a person, even if they don't personally identify as part of the LGBTQ community. They don't have to, because they've seen how Bryce acts on and off the field and they can respect him for those actions. 

Thanks again for stopping by, hopefully I'll start getting the creative juices flowing sooner than later and we can get another story in the series going.

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...

I am not dead or on hiatus anymore. For my loyal readers who have long since decided I'm not coming back, Devin's story will be starting up again really, really soon. I'm writing again on a regular basis, I have a beta reader and an editor, and I'm finally ready to get back into sharing this series with you.

As a thank you for putting up with my extended absence from actually writing, here's a sneak peek at some of chapter 1 of Triple Play, coming soon to a computer screen near you.

“Dear Mr. Williams;

Upon your return to campus, you are required to meet with an academic advisor to discuss your athletic scholarship. Please ensure that you book an appointment with an academic advisor as soon as possible to discuss funding for your upcoming academic year.

Whitman College looks forward to your return.”

I re-read the letter to make sure that I read it correctly. Breathing in sharply, I collapsed into a chair in the kitchen and tried to control my breathing, making sure to try and lengthen my breaths and prevent myself from hyperventilating.

They were taking away my scholarship because of how little I had played last year. That was the only thing that made sense, and worse of all was the fact that it wasn’t even my fault that I hadn’t been able to play. It wasn’t my fault that I got attacked partway through the season, and it wasn’t my fault that Coach Finnegan didn’t want to give me playing time compared to the other players.

Not sure when I'll start posting chapters again for real, but I should have some stuff coming by the end of the month. Thanks everyone!

• Like 2