W.a.r. By Jeff Wilson (Jkwsquirrel)

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the USA!  Glad to be back.  England was a blast.  Jetlag is real.  I woke up at 3am yesterday and 5am today.

So, did I pick up an English accent?  Not really, but I have been saying "mind the gap" all day long.

Did I pick up an Englishman?  Depends on your definition of "picked up."

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just a month to go until W.A.R. Part Five - Retaliation.

I'm enjoying the time off.  I saw a bit of the world and have been working on some editing for Retaliation.  Speaking of Retaliation, how about a sneak peak at chapter one?  Here we go:

Mom laughed.  “Dustin Smith a better boy than Joey McKenzie?  That’s ridiculous!  Just look at their parents!  Joey is a good Christian boy who has been nothing but a saint since your argument.  Dustin is nothing more than a thief and a thug.  Just look at him.  I don’t like the influence he has had on you.  And after what he did to his neighbor…”

“Mom, I agree with you that what he did to Mike was really dumb,” I said.  “But it was just a one-time mistake and now he’s being crucified for it!” 

“I hardly think comparing his situation to what Jesus went through is an appropriate comparison,” mom said.  “Jesus never stole a car."

Should be interesting!

• Like 2

Wow, that's the usual stupid "Christian" bullshit I hate so much.  Paula can just take that attitude and shove it, I pretty much won't agree with her on anything now.

So Dustin "stole a car"  (somehow I don't think that's how it happened) and now he can't be Billy's friend anymore because of Paula's "good Christian values" of being a judgemental hypocrite, while Joey "skirt-chaser" Mackenzie is still the perfect angel.  What kind of nonsense arguments is she spouting like that?  I can't wait for these sanctimonious types to be dragged off their high horse and into the same mud they've been throwing at others.

Just had a weird thought: could Dustin have tried to run Brett over with Mike's car? I don't think he'd be that crazy but Brett knows how to push his buttons, so maybe he did.

Still looking forward to reading it, though.  You sure know how to trigger me, Jeff.

Edited by Shadow086
  • Like 2

I’m looking forward to reading that conversation in context.

If we’re going to make wild speculations, I could suggest that Dustin was caught ‘penetrating’ Mike in a ‘borrowed’ car. We won’t know for another month or so…  ;-)

Just now, droughtquake said:

I’m looking forward to reading that conversation in context.

If we’re going to make wild speculations, I could suggest that Dustin was caught ‘penetrating’ Mike in a ‘borrowed’ car. We won’t know for another month or so…  ;-)

I doubt it, they'd be having a very different if that was the case, and she wouldn't let him anywhere near Billy.

On the other hand, it's sad to see Dustin's situation got even worse instead of better.  The poor guy just can't catch a break...

• Like 2

I've missed this story so much.  I can't wait til the next series.  One of my all-time favorite!!  Glad you've enjoyed some time off, but your dedicated readers are ready for you to be back so we can get back to the story lol.  Thanks for writing such a great story!!

• Like 4

Dustin stole Mike's car. Billy said it was a dumb thing that he did to Mike but a one time thing he's being crucified for...I think he trying to get away from his dad, took Mike's car with permission and was in a wreck. That's why he said he stole it so Mike wouldn't get in  trouble for letting an underage person drive his car.

• Like 2

Ha ha!  Glad to see the teaser did what it was supposed to do!  Just enough info to stir conversation and ideas about the direction in which Retaliation will take us!

I can say that the conversation between Billy and his mom is not about Dustin being caught in a sexual situation.  That would definitely lead to a different conversation!  What I can say is that Retaliation is definitely more intense than the first four books, and the drama will not come from Billy and Brett's relationship.  That's about the only thing that's stable in the book!  Nobody is safe, and revenge is a dish best served piping hot!  Is it June 17th yet?

“Oh Billy…  Sweet, trusting Billy…  Always looking for the good in people who are assholes."- Brett

• Like 4

The fact that Billy's mom is so enamored with the cretin Joey is enough to make me sick.  I'm going to grow to really hate her I think.  Joey is a bottom feeder.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, spikey582 said:

The fact that Billy's mom is so enamored with the cretin Joey is enough to make me sick.  I'm going to grow to really hate her I think.  Joey is a bottom feeder.

But--But Joey goes to church every Sunday!  He's a good Christian boy! That's all that matters, right?  Right?

Honestly, I've hated her since the "What will I tell Joey's parents?" thing.  That's when I found out she was one of those holier-than-thou religious type.  These people are absolute scum and I despise them.  I often find the words "good Christian" to mean close-minded, judgemental prick, and they treat others in a most unchristian way.

I really hope Joey is exposed for the filthy scumbag that he is.

• Like 5

Well, three weeks to go until Retaliation starts.  I'm really excited about this one.  I think you'll really like it.  It ties together so much of what's been set up in the first books.  But in the meantime, I need something to do until June 17th!  Something to burn off some energy.  I'm planning to read a story or two on the site, and do some reviewing.  I like to comment on as many chapters as I can as I read, to give the writer a bit of support. I know I like the comments, so why not give them away?

So, to spend a bit of time, how about this:  It's time to ask Jeff anything.  If there's something you'd like to know about the story, about me, about a character, ANYTHING, just put your question on this forum and I'll answer it to the best of my ability.  Absolutely anything.  No topic off limits.  Nothing is too personal.  I'll answer any question you ask.  So have at it!  What would you like to know?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, JayT said:

I want to know if Dustin will find someone to be happy with

Thanks Jay!  Dustin will eventually find true love, but it'll be a long time.  First he has to get over Billy.  I have a Dustin story that is set in the college years that I wrote that deals with Dustin finding love.  In fact, his true love is mentioned in part five, but Dustin won't meet him until years later.

• Like 1

totally random side note...I had a funeral to attend on Wednesday for an old friend named William Adrian Roberts....we used to call him WAR...

• Like 2
Just now, JayT said:

but it's not Billy :( 

He'd like it to be.  We'll explore that a bit in parts 5-6.  Dustin and Billy wouldn't be a good match.  Dustin is too much of a pushover for Billy.  Dustin would do literally anything to make Billy happy.  That may sound romantic, but it would be very unhealthy for both of them.  Billy would run roughshod over someone like that.  For all Brett's faults, he's very self-assertive.  Billy can't push Brett around because he pushes right back and calls Billy on his crap.  Billy needs someone who challenges him, not someone who caves to his every whim.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, JayT said:

totally random side note...I had a funeral to attend on Wednesday for an old friend named William Adrian Roberts....we used to call him WAR...

That is so freaky!  Cool, but freaky!  lol!

• Like 1

If Brent’s mother is as good as she’s supposed to be, why was she so oblivious for so long about her own son?

If she were less affluent, she would have been in great danger of losing custody of Brent due to her negligence. The rules are very different when you have no money. Social Services is very well-meaning, but too many people think that poverty is a sin or a personal defect – even the current US Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, an obvious expert since he’s a neurosurgeon.

10 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

If Brent’s mother is as good as she’s supposed to be, why was she so oblivious for so long about her own son?

If she were less affluent, she would have been in great danger of losing custody of Brent due to her negligence. The rules are very different when you have no money. Social Services is very well-meaning, but too many people think that poverty is a sin or a personal defect – even the current US Secretary of Housing and Urban Development, an obvious expert since he’s a neurosurgeon.

You've hit on the answer in the small print.  She's not as good as she seems, and the cracks in the façade are growing.  Brett and Dustin are two sides of the same coin.  They're both neglected, just in different ways.  Brett doesn't have a mom, he has a roommate.  There's a reason the Brett acts the way he does, besides the ADHD.  That Brett is as adjusted as he is is a testament to his character and the influence of the Roberts family.  But she's rich and successful, so society gives her a pass for her neglectful behavior.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jkwsquirrel said:

No topic off limits.

Why do you put two spaces between each sentence? That was only necessary with a typewriter because they used monospaced type (all letters, numbers, punctuations, and symbols are the same width with the ‘M’ squeezed and the ‘I’ stretched with serifs) and the extra space is redundant with the proportional fonts used by computers. Usually the double-space indicates someone who learned to type on a typewriter, not a youngster like you!  ;-)

5 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Why do you put two spaces between each sentence? That was only necessary with a typewriter because they used monospaced type (all letters, numbers, punctuations, and symbols are the same width with the ‘M’ squeezed and the ‘I’ stretched with serifs) and the extra space is redundant with the proportional fonts used by computers. Usually the double-space indicates someone who learned to type on a typewriter, not a youngster like you!  ;-)

Old habits die hard.  That was the way they taught me and it stayed with me.  Plus, I'm very ancient in internet years.  I'll be forty this year.  How did that happen?!?!?  I started doing internet stuff in 1995 in college!  My high school years were in the Stone Ages of the early 90's.  That was when "computers class" was really "typing class" with a word processor, and not a class to teach us how to really use a computer.  And so "double space after each sentence" just stayed with me, revealing my ancient wizard status!

• Like 3
57 minutes ago, jkwsquirrel said:

Old habits die hard.  That was the way they taught me and it stayed with me.  Plus, I'm very ancient in internet years.  I'll be forty this year.  How did that happen?!?!?  I started doing internet stuff in 1995 in college!  My high school years were in the Stone Ages of the early 90's.  That was when "computers class" was really "typing class" with a word processor, and not a class to teach us how to really use a computer.  And so "double space after each sentence" just stayed with me, revealing my ancient wizard status!

So that's why we have the saying "You can't teach an old dog new tricks." It's poor excuse jkw!

• Like 2