W.a.r. By Jeff Wilson (Jkwsquirrel)

9 minutes ago, Shadow086 said:

I'll leave this up to others, but I'm starting to question the assumption that whoever said that quote was talking to Billy.

Heck, just for fun, I'm going to say the quote is from Billy himself.

Billy Roberts is a good guess and as the protagonist he'll play an important role...  lol!  I had to do it!  I will say that it is said directly to Billy as part of a larger conversation.  The man who says it hasn't had much of a role in the story so far, but he will.

• Like 1

Well I know the boys have teachers, but they’ve kind of been background characters – a bit like the mumbling adults that populate televised Charlie Brown cartoons. Not even as visible and understandable as R2-type droids.

That's true, in both life and in the story.  When you're young, the adult world isn't all that interesting to you, since you're a kid and all.  Your world is mainly concerned with your friends.  Your parents and your teachers are there and they impact your life, but their lives aren't all that important to you.  They're background characters.  But as you get older, you become more a part of the adult world and leave the childhood world behind.  Then the kids in your life become the background characters, and so it goes.

• Like 3

Well, I'm off to a week long conference for work!  Ah, the adventuring life for me!  And then after that...  More WAR!!!!  (Can you tell I'm really excited to get back into the story?)

So, to prepare for the upcoming book, Retaliation, I present to you the first 3 paragraphs:

Chapter One- Storm on the Horizon

For three years I had been cursed with metal and wires glued to my teeth.  But finally, I was going to be freed from their grasp.  I’d been poked, prodded, and pulled.  I’d had my mouth rearranged by the forces of time and Dr. Martin’s orthodontic expertise.  But it was finally over.  It was time to say goodbye to my braces!

I sat in that chair, that same chair in which I’d had so much work done to me over the last few years.  I could remember the day when they’d started.  How I’d dreaded what was to happen to me!  A much smaller, twelve-year-old Billy Roberts had entered that office that autumn day with a big gap between his two front teeth and an overbite and left the office with a mouthful of metal.  I didn’t smile for a week afterward.  My best friend, Brett Reilly, kept insisting that braces were cool and that he wanted them himself, but he didn’t know what he was talking about.  It was a terrible way to start the seventh grade.  But all of that was about to be behind me.  Now, on a blustery and cold day in March of 2003, my long orthodontic nightmare was finally coming to a close.

Dr. Martin sat down beside me and did some exploring inside my mouth.  I looked out the window at the darkening sky.  We were going to have another winter storm soon.  The weathermen had been almost giddy with tales of how much snow we were going to get.  The groundhog had been proven right when he said six more weeks of winter.  We had been pounded with snow all February, and it looked like March was going to be more of the same... 

To be continued on June 17th!

• Like 2

Was the dentist wearing his boots?  ;-)

I had braces as an adult. I got them after I’d had benefits at one of my first jobs for a while and could pay for them myself. I think I had them on for about three years too and I arranged to get them off a couple weeks early just so I could say I had them off before I turned thirty!  ;-)

5 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

Oh, and since you gave us another name, was it Dr Martin who said that to Billy?

Haha, yes that sounds right.

The orthodontist is talking to a young boy about sex after he did some exploring inside his mouth.... nothing wrong there :rofl:

• Like 2

Well if I did everything right, Chapter 1 of Retaliation is set to publish at 1am on Saturday.  Here is the description for Part Five:

Just as Billy Roberts is beginning to think he might be able to begin revealing his true self to those closest to him, he is finding out that those closest to him have secrets of their own. His parents are growing further apart as his father's health is failing and his mother is falling under the spell of a charismatic homophobe.  His boyfriend is hiding something that could destroy someone's life.  His best friend is being driven over the edge by his abusive family. And through it all, Billy is being bullied by someone he once considered a friend.  Welcome to W.A.R..

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, JayT said:

Oh you tease!!!! I got a notification that Chapter 1 of Retaliation had been posted 

10 minutes ago, jkwsquirrel said:

You did?  Crap.  Maybe I didn't do the advance uploading right?

I got a notification too, but when I clicked on the notification, GA couldn’t find it. It’s probably the software, not you.

12 minutes ago, jkwsquirrel said:

You did?  Crap.  Maybe I didn't do the advance uploading right?

you did....it said the link could not be found

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, jkwsquirrel said:

Chapter 1 of Retaliation is set to publish at 1am on Saturday.

Greeeeeaaaaaaatttttttttt! I’m going to be exhausted from watching movies all day – the first of 10 day of Frameline, San Francisco’s LGBTQ film festival! I’m going to have a very difficult time not being tempted to read the chapter when I’ll need to be sleeping since I’ll need to get up early on Saturday for more movies!  ;-)

On 6/3/2017 at 5:30 PM, jkwsquirrel said:

TWO WEEKS TO GO!

Here's your Retaliation Quote of the Day:  

“I guess you’re at that age when you’ve started to realize that people your parents’ age had lives before you were born, eh?"

Now who do you suppose said that?

I will Guess that it is Dr. Rielly

• Like 2

Well, I reached a thousand likes.  I'm incredibly thankful for the kind support.  Most of those likes were from the stories, since I'm not all that active on forums or blogs.  I just quietly plug away under the radar and try to write the best story I can, and hope that you like what I write.  I love the interaction and discussion about the chapters and characters and appreciate everyone who sends a like and especially those who comment.  I'm feeling very grateful tonight!

Peace,

Jeff

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jkwsquirrel said:

Well, I reached a thousand likes.  I'm incredibly thankful for the kind support.  Most of those likes were from the stories, since I'm not all that active on forums or blogs.

Your ratio of Likes to Posts is incredibly high compared with mine since I am a non-writer!

23 minutes ago, jkwsquirrel said:

New chapter is up a day early, but a certain "nifty" site put it up today so I felt I should put it here too.  Anyway, check it out!  It's what the kids call a "humdinger" of a chapter.

I'll repeat my chapter comment here.....Jeff Jeff Jeff.....somebody's going to end up in the hospital or dead.

• Like 1
Just now, droughtquake said:

But that already happened (Billy and grandma, respectively).  ;-)

Not from either A) Dustin finding out what Joey is doing to Billy, because we know what will happen then....B) Joey and some church friends attack Billy......C) Joey retaliates against Billy by taking it out on Brett....or D) someone is pushed so far to the edge that they attempt something very stupid

• Like 1