Pokemon Go: Can You Catch'em All Before You Go Broke

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-money-pokemon-data-idUSKCN0ZU2CA

I love augmented reality games and Pokemon is a damn smart thing to make into one. If I were still a preteen or even a teen, I'd be hunting for Pokemon everywhere, even magikarp (Gyrados is cool).

However gamer beware, Augmented reality games have hidden costs in your data plans, you can easily squander a month's worth of gigs in a few days of play. Unlike Pokemon world, I can't just get a meowth and train him to do "payday" attack get extra cash or teach my pokemon "theft" to feed my habit (Yes both are actual moves in Gameboy and they do help make extra bucks.)

Anyway, have fun, but remember not to surpass your data plans.

Edited by W_L
  • Like 1

It's grown-ups who play here. Everyone in my little corner of Canada who plays Pokemon GO were the people who were Pokemon kids when Red/Blue/Yellow came out.

The data usage isn't as bad as you think. Someone calculated it is about about 1 megabyte of data per hour of uninterrupted usage. Of course, that doesn't count the times you're able to use public wi-fi (god, I love public access), and thus aren't drawing from your data plan.

A good concern, but it's not like we're all losing our...

A good concern, even if we've all lost our minds.

• Like 3

On-topic advice regarding data plan and PKGO: download the map of your area in google maps so you can use it offline. If I'm not mistaken, Pokemon Go relies on GMAPS. Thus, you'll save lots of gigs!

How to Reduce Data Usage

Every time you start the Pokemon GO, the app loads Google Maps API to display the current location. This is why your Data Usage is affected more, but if you try using the Google Maps as an offline Map then it should reduce Battery Consumption and makes it run smoother then ever. Follow the Below Steps to Reduce the Data Usage:

1. Open Google Maps
  2. Go To Settings
  3. Go To Offline Maps
  4. Hit the Plus Sign(+)
  5. Select the Area You Want
  6. Download the Offline Map

This will save loads of data and the constant refreshing. If you're a iOS user then download the Google Maps from the AppStore and follow the same steps.

Edited by FieldMan
  • Like 1

Next up on W_L's web tips series:

1. You should actually check the air pressure in your tires.  Don't just assume that they are inflated properly!

2. Don't ignore the check engine light! Have someone check the engine!

3. Stop buying things you can't afford.

4. That tub of ice cream isn't going to fix what your crappy ex-boyfriend did.

• Like 3

Not just the data plans guys you have to be aware of lots of things. The gaming making lots of difficulty when they are playing.

Just like, in-search of Pokeman they are even going straight into Police stations and restricted areas. And the accidents, you don't need a detail explanations on that.

And definitely beware of app/game when you are downloading it. Yeah, some hackers already started the 'copycat' thing. Which leads gamer to those goons and get robber. Yeah, that definitely a possibility.

Games are fun and enjoyable. But we have to look after our moral and ethical values before disturbing others. Its just another game, not a real treasure hunt.

• Like 1

Don't go anywhere near or through an American Military Base with Poke Go going!

They will confiscate your phone and possible detain you for questioning. They are on hyper alert right now and Poke Go uses cameras and GPS to work...these things are classic intelligence gathering tools for possible belligerents. 

I just saw an official message from the DoD about this yesterday. They seriously don't like Poke Go.

• Like 2

Apparently dead bodies are being found (one in MA) along with the various game finds, and there has been at least one poisonous snake bite (TX). Play on!

All this same stuff was true for Ingress, which is what Pokemon Go is based on.  Pay attention to your surroundings.  Of course, you could be texting and still do the same stupid stuff.  Just more people are playing Pokemon Go than any other thing right now.  I guess what I see as a 'good' thing is more people seem to be out walking--kids and adults alike.  My girls play it and it isn't draining their data that much--youtube is much worse for them!  Batteries seem to be more of an issue, but we already had battery packs because Ingress has the same battery drain.

At 2-8 mb an hour it could eat up a good chunk of data, so I thought the article was kind of useful for helping reduce data and giving people some early warning.

I actually did play Ingress as an early Beta in Boston, tagging landmarks and restaurants :D

As for Pokemon Go, well, I am not looking to capture every one of them, which is why I prefer the gameboy emulators and gameshark codes.

There's some stupid and tragic results right now:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/15/health/pokemon-go-players-fall-down-cliff/index.html

Nothing could be worth being so near the edge of a cliff to capture, not even Mew (maybe Arceus, if you are that nutty devout and you got the magic pipe)

Edited by W_L

13769496_1370034553020688_82656414056705

I have 600mb for a full month on my mobile...

At 2-8 mb an hour it could eat up a good chunk of data, so I thought the article was kind of useful for helping reduce data and giving people some early warning.

I actually did play Ingress as an early Beta in Boston, tagging landmarks and restaurants :D

As for Pokemon Go, well, I am not looking to capture every one of them, which is why I prefer the gameboy emulators and gameshark codes.

There's some stupid and tragic results right now:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/15/health/pokemon-go-players-fall-down-cliff/index.html

Nothing could be worth being so near the edge of a cliff to capture, not even Mew (maybe Arceus, if you are that nutty devout and you got the magic pipe)

13731751_1370034719687338_63206868015656

• Like 1

On the plus side,

These Aussie guys are so cute, I really like dorky guys (too bad most of them are straight)

The amount of suburban teenagers that have flooded into the city this past week or so to play Pokemon Go is ridiculous. Everybody under 30 with their phone out is playing it. 

*looks up briefly from my phone, staggers into downtown from suburbia*

What? 

Seriously though, it's getting people out of their houses and doing something that almost passes for sociable. We should celebrate that, since the alternative would be for all those people to likely be in their rooms, not being fully part of their outdoor world.

• Like 3

*looks up briefly from my phone, staggers into downtown from suburbia*

What? 

Seriously though, it's getting people out of their houses and doing something that almost passes for sociable. We should celebrate that, since the alternative would be for all those people to likely be in their rooms, not being fully part of their outdoor world.

If this is what passes for sociable in 2016, then I give up. 

• Like 2

If this is what passes for sociable in 2016, then I give up. 

Give it a try Matt, you might enjoy it.

• Like 1

I love Pokemon, I even played competitively for a long time, doing the IV/EV training and breeding, etc. But I haven't played Pokemon Go yet. I might give it a try, but I didn't feel the pull to it. It's so unlike me. D= 

• Like 2

I love Pokemon, I even played competitively for a long time, doing the IV/EV training and breeding, etc. But I haven't played Pokemon Go yet. I might give it a try, but I didn't feel the pull to it. It's so unlike me. D= 

You just need a little push Lacey,

"Thunderbolts Lacey !"

Feel better, it's actually not bad, I just have to be careful about my wifi and data use, but since the game is free, give it a try, just don't go into the in-game shop. :D

Edited by W_L
  • Like 1