3 minutes ago, Parker Owens said:

Perhaps so - reflective, perhaps? And thanks for the tip about Love in Bath...new listening!

One step ahead of you buddy :) I just posted two vids for Bath

Have a diabolically good Sunday. More Cherubini, this time Maria Calla melting shoe leather with a scorching performance (in an hair-raisingly good recording) from Covent Garden in 1959. 

Medea, 1797. Start with Act Three min 1:40:20 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

More from the Cherub ;) There had never been an overture of the scale of Giulio Sabino - over 10 mins in performance - before it premiered in London in 1786. He ushered in an entire new genre, the concert overture. Enjoy this really excellent performance. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxGkhm9zK8E

Or this one, which is not as good

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1
45 minutes ago, Tomas said:

I don't recall anyone posting any of Aaron Copeland's (1900-1990) works.

Billy the Kid, Rodeo, Appalachian Spring and his most well known work written for the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra

in 1942... "Fanfare for the Common Man".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-Zt4q1Xa8w

They are wonderful, and special to play. I don't know his more serious pieces, like the various symphonies. The Fanfare is a great piece, but I can never think of it without also thinking of Joan Towers' various Fanfares for the uncommon woman.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Tomas said:

Billy the Kid, Rodeo, Appalachian Spring and his most well known work written for the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra

A lovely performance. Copland's lonely, sublimated, love-less Gay life comes through in most of what he wrote.

I particularly like Quiet City for that reason. It haunts me as a Gay person myself. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Tomas said:

Whereas I have been partial to The Red Pony suite for many years...

• Like 1

As Google kindly informs me it's her birthday, here's some love from one Saint Louisian to another :yes:

Joséphine Baker, Mon p'tit bonhomme et Chérie je t'aime, from a live TV appearance in 1964 

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 4
On 6/2/2017 at 8:16 PM, Parker Owens said:

Whereas I have been partial to The Red Pony suite for many years...

I've been listening to The Red Pony Suite for a few days now. Thanks for pointing it out....

My love/awe/admiration for Steinbeck dates back to, I think, the 6th grade when our reader contained a condensed version of The Red Pony. It stunned me by how it made me feel - both for the boy and the pony. It went up in my mind along side Charlotte's Web (by E.B. White) as about the best writing can get, and you know what? I'm still right in that opinion :yes: 

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

That suite was unknown to me until I found it as part of a wider collection under  the St Loius orchestra directed by Leonard Slatkin. 

Slatkin was a friend of my father's. The STL Symphony is the second oldest in North America, and when I was boy, it was regarded as among the top 3 in the world under Slatkin's baton. It also holds the distinction of having more Emmy awards that any other orchestra.

But to me, it will always be just the 'symphony,' a glorious place to go, and a kid never knows he's being treated to the best when he's growing up, but now I know ;) And I grateful for it forming my broad taste in music  

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 3

The St. Louis Symphony plays at Powell Symphony Hall, it is not only gorgeous, it has some of the best acoustics of any concert hall in America.

Image result for powell symphony hall

And below is a picture of the Grand foyer...champagne anyone?

• Like 4

The opening to Mahler's 2nd symphony to me ranks as one of the best.  Solti and the CSO has my favorite version and I've had it on CD for over 30 years.  

Here is the opening courtesy of youtube.  If you have decent speakers go into settings and select the HD version

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Daddydavek said:

The St. Louis Symphony plays at Powell Symphony Hall, it is not only gorgeous, it has some of the best acoustics of any concert hall in America.

And below is a picture of the Grand foyer...champagne anyone?

Glorious! Brings back such memories 

• Like 1

Stage managing st the music festival again tonight. 

Tonight's program...

EJ Moeran, Fantasy Quartet; 

Faure, Apres in reve; 

Schumann, Fantasiestucke; 

Chausson, Piano Trio

Just starting now...

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Parker Owens said:

Stage managing st the music festival again tonight. 

Tonight's program...

EJ Moeran, Fantasy Quartet; 

Faure, Apres in reve; 

Schumann, Fantasiestucke; 

Chausson, Piano Trio

Just starting now...

Awesome. I've always liked both Herr and Frau Schumann :) I should find a couple of pieces to post 

• Like 1

Clara Schumann 

Trio Für Violine, Cello Und Klavier Op. 17 - I - Allegro moderato

Preformed at a beautiful tempo :) 

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 2