Banjo on piano 

Thanks to @Parker Owens for introducing me to this composer's work! I hear lots that is distinctly American, and the structure seems clear antecedent to Ragtime, born a few decades later in Saint Louis. The composer was from downriver in New Orleans.  

Ivan Davis performes Louis Moreau Gottschalk's The Banjo. Written and published in Paris, 1855. 

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Something to put a smile on your face this fine morning :) 

PS. Somehow I feel this is a very 'mathematical' composition, but I'm no expert...  

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, AC Benus said:

Something to put a smile on your face this fine morning :) 

PS. Somehow I feel this is a very 'mathematical' composition, but I'm no expert...  

Thank you - and now I want to find a copy of the score....

• Like 2

The math of Mozart. Warning, be prepared to get caught up and watch the entire 14 minute animation. It is so fascinating to see the patterns laid out bare like this; fascinating and wonderful. The performance recording is a good one too of the d-minor piano concerto, movement 1. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

And here is something to stir up a Monday morning...

Unfortunately I got a 'this video is not available' message. Oh well ...  I quite like Lully, but I find Rameau and Charpentier better. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I knew nothing about Irish composer John Field until this morning. He was Clementi's main student and protogee, traveled with the maestro to Vienna in 1782 and encountered Mozart firsthand. He later traveled to Russia and the court of Catherine the Great. In addition, he is credited with inventing the nocturne for piano. 

In this charming Rondo, Field's character comes through, and one can be forgiven to hearing the green shores of his native land sparkling in the music. 

Moderato innocente, movement III from his second piano concerto. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Parker Owenssent me a couple of motets, and this video popped up as a recommendation. The music is from 1921, and it seems to be a blend of established church traditions in American music, and the places the composer wanted to take them in the future.

Of Arron Copeland, my copy of Queers in History says: "Copeland was one of the first prominent [out] composers to live openly with a romantic partner, photographer Victor Kraft." It also informs me: "In 1931, Copeland and young writer Paul Bowles took a house overlooking Tangier Bay in Morocco. There they laid the foundation for the scene that made Tangiers a Gay Literary nexus in the 1950s and '60s."

Four Motets, Arrron Copeland

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, BlindAmbition said:

While not classical, this The Good, bad and ugly is impressive by Danish symphony. 

just listened to/watched this same video last week. Not kidding. you must be in my head, boy.

This is a great version, by the way. Shows what a brilliant composer Ennio Moriccone is. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, MacGreg said:

just listened to/watched this same video last week. Not kidding. you must be in my head, boy.

This is a great version, by the way. Shows what a brilliant composer Ennio Moriccone is. 

Thats funny Sir. I totally agree on the talent. Just beautiful. I’m glad you enjoyed for a 2nd time Sir.

• Like 3