A voice from the Civil War...a time when more than 650,000 Americans died in the struggle to free enslaved African Americans.

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

What 21-year-old genius sounds like: the Mainzer String Quartet performs Hans Rott's quartet in c-minor.

Edited by AC Benus

I've been of a recent mind to post Haydn's Symphony 99, which is a favorite of mine for the depth of emotions it contains, but I decided to post the first Haydn symphony I ever heard as a teenage.

Here is Otto Klemperer & New Philharmonia Orchestra with a live broadcast performing the Symphony No. 100 in G.

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Oh, I forgot! Yesterday was April 15th, so I wanted to share music meant to be played on this date. McNair's performance of Alla selva positively bristles with the joy to see the end of cabin fever. All the glories of nature await the return of warm weather and our chance to get back out there. Love it. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, AC Benus said:

Oh, I forgot! Yesterday was April 15th, so I wanted to share music meant to be played on this date. McNair's performance of Alla selva positively bristles with the joy to see the end of cabin fever. All the glories of nature await the return of warm weather and our chance to get back out there. Love it. 

cabin fever eh?  i should play it everywhere in Toronto... we are asking if the sun will shine again and if the rain will ever stop.

• Like 1

Anything more springlike than a glorious rendering of Handel? Nope :yes: 

Jos Van Veldhoven leading the Netherlands Bach Society and the Choir of Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford, in Handel's Jubilate, HWV 279

• Like 1

Claudio Abbado, Renee Fleming, Frederica von Stade, Kathleen Battle and the Berliner Philharmoniker in a live New Years performance of the finale from Richard Strauss' Der Rosenkavalier.

• 2 weeks later...

Two hundred and thirty-two years today, the world changed inexplicably for the better. If Miss Battle's performance fails to raise goosebumps in your soul, I'd seek out advice from your spiritual adviser. It's possible you were born without one ;)

Happy birthday, Le nozze di Figaro

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Parker Owens said:

@AC Benus: This is such a good piece, I keep wondering why I’d forgotten all about it. Wonderful. 

Thank you, Parker. These are some very nice recordings of Handel's Organ Concertos :)

• 2 weeks later...

"...simply paralyzing, Lord Canvasbottom..."

George Gershwin's These Charming People, original cast recording, 1925

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 1
On 3/25/2018 at 12:39 PM, AC Benus said:

A voice from the Civil War...a time when more than 650,000 Americans died in the struggle to free enslaved African Americans.

My Queers in History, 2009 by Keith Stern, is a dangerous thing. Every time I intend a quick look-up on somebody, I get distracted by the most random entries -- to the point sometimes I can't even remember who I was I looking for originally :blushing: 

This happened recently, and the 'distraction' turned out to be handsome man, Stephen Foster. I hadn't thought much about the composer's orientation, but the article on him was most interesting. First, it mentions his hits -- song we know still today -- Jeanie with the Light Brown Hair; My Old Kentucky Home; Oh, Those Golden Slippers; Beautiful Dreamer; I Love the Old Folks at Home; and of course, The Camptown Races.*  

Then it mentions all of those songs were only possible because of Foster's husband and collaborator, the talented poet George Cooper. Despite his man's love, Foster succumbed to depression and alcoholism, dying tragically young in 1864 at the age of thirty-seven. It was George who did all he could to make sure Stephen's music stayed in the limelight for decades afterwards, until he too passed away.

It worked! Yay love.

-----------------------------------------

*I can't help but doubt 150 years from now, anyone will remember Kanye West's name, much less be able to cite a dozen of his songs as household words. I suppose time will tell :)       

Edited by AC Benus
  • Like 4