Everything Olympics

This Olympic Swimmer’s Pre-Race Ritual Is a BIG F-U To His Dad

http://twentytwowords.com/this-olympic-swimmers-pre-race-ritual-is-a-big-f-u-to-his-dad/?utm_source=socialmob&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=article-or-quiz-name&utm_content=268

We have our Hungarian version of this: young swimmer Kenderesi Tamás is making a "you can't see me" gesture ala John Cena. There is a mini scandal around him too, people say, he should not be so foppish, he only got a bronze. (He's only 19, I think he's got some attitude too, I personally don't like him claiming to be 10000% hetero, what has it to do with swimming... But I don't think he should behave as if he were 39.)

http://player.hu/rio-2016/kenderesi-tamas-az-olimpia-eddigi-legcoolabb-arca/

Sorry I couldn't find anything relevant in English, I hope you can cope with an automatic translation or you can ask me :-)

• Like 1

The Advocate upped its count to 48! Three more women: Brazilian (Rugby), Canadian (Rugby), and Dutch (Judo). And Outsports adds a Swede (Beach Volleyball) – another woman! (My count, using the two lists, is now 51 including a reserve player.)

There are also at least three Out head coaches and six Out Paralympians.

I think it's interesting that I can easily remember of the Out male former-Olympians like Greg Louganis and Ian Thorpe (or Brian Boitano, Brian Orser, and Rudi Galindo), but can only come up with Martina Navratilova as an example of an Out Lesbian former-Olympian. Part of that has to be because I'm Gay and tend to notice men more, and part of that must have to do with the misogynistic tendencies of the male-dominated sports industry where slightly less talented, but much more conventionally attractive female athletes can sometimes get lucrative endorsement deals that evade more skilled, but butcher female athletes.

Edited by Former Member
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator

And then there's...this:

http://www.towleroad.com/2016/08/grindr-olympics/

An incredibly thoughtless way to go on the part of this, um...journalist, to say the least. :pissed:

Ouch... :( The number of condoms used at the Sydney Olympics was on the news at the time, and I seem to recall one of the other Olympics they ran out of condoms, but I've never seen any articles that listed personal details without the consent of the athletes involved... Yes, the athletes have a healthy sex-life. Yes, the gay athletes today will use apps like Grindr to hook up. But all details of what happens in the Olympic village should stay there -- journalists should respect their privacy and only talk in generalities.

• Like 2

Congratulations Jen Kish (and the rest of Team Canada): Bronze for Women's Rugby Sevens!

Team LGBT's second Bronze!

And congratulations Rafaela Silva: Gold for Women's 57 kg Judo!!!

Team LGBT's first Gold and third medal!

Edited by Former Member
  • Like 1

I don't have the words to express how pissed off I am. That man should be fired!

I agree with Drew; this is lowest form of journalism, the guy is a disgrace to his profession. 

• Like 1

I'm divided in my loyalty to my home country Canada and my adopted home for many years, the UK. Both are doing reasonably well, but team GB will have its work cut out, if they are to replicate their success of four years ago in London. Well done also to the Aussies, another favorite country of mine, who always seem to box well above their weight and the good ole USA, where every athlete, from every country and every sport seems to want to train.   

• Like 1

I'm divided in my loyalty to my home country Canada and my adopted home for many years, the UK. Both are doing reasonably well, but team GB will have its work cut out, if they are to replicate their success of four years ago in London. Well done also to the Aussies, another favorite country of mine, who always seem to box well above their weight and the good ole USA, where every athlete, from every country and every sport seems to want to train.   

No one says you can only root for one team! (I hope you're supporting Team LGBT too!)

• Like 1

Isn't the Olympics about supporting the very best athletes no matter which country they represent? Many athletes live in one country, but represent another. Some athletes were recruited to represent countries they have no other connection to (eg Kuwait).

Go Team LGBT!

• Like 1

Isn't the Olympics about supporting the very best athletes no matter which country they represent? Many athletes live in one country, but represent another. Some athletes were recruited to represent countries they have no other connection to (eg Kuwait).

Go Team LGBT!

Yep, but some people don't seem to understand that :rolleyes: as the article pointed out.

• Like 1

The Advocate has an article about 'Mannouncing', a related issue where casual racism, mysogyny, and homophobia by the overwhelmingly heterosexual male announcers is common behavior.

Especially embarrassing to me is a racist tweet by the once proud Knight-Ridder flagship and formerly very respectable San Jose Mercury (Silicon Valley/SF Bay Area; twinned with the East Bay Times) now cost-cut into mediocrity by Media News: "Olympics: Michael Phelps Shares Historic Night With African-American."

Edited by Former Member
  • Like 1

The Advocate has an article about 'Mannouncing', a related issue where casual racism, mysogyny, and homophobia by the overwhelmingly heterosexual male announcers is common behavior.

Especially embarrassing to me is a racist tweet by the once proud Knight-Ridder flagship and formerly very respectable San Jose Mercury (Silicon Valley/SF Bay Area; twinned with the East Bay Times) now cost-cut into mediocrity by Media News: "Olympics: Michael Phelps Shares Historic Night With African-American."

Little more about Hosszú Katinka vs. "the man responsible" Shane Tusup.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/rio-2016-sexism-media_us_57a840dbe4b056bad215f03c

There is a scandal in Hungary too about one of the commentators not saying the name of a refugee swimmer. (Bunch of political stuff, I don't want to go in detail. I personally think the commentator is only incompetent.)

• Like 1

Interesting News from Rio, I think we were expecting it based on the stories of crime and poverty:

4 US Olympians were robbed including Ryan Lochte by fake police in Rio

Luckily none of them were hurt and no one tried to kidnap them, but could you imagine an Olympic hostage situation? What if Phelps was among them (he's like a national treasure now) ?

• Like 1

Little more about Hosszú Katinka vs. "the man responsible" Shane Tusup.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/rio-2016-sexism-media_us_57a840dbe4b056bad215f03c

I remember hearing that and being taken aback. Shared a 'did he just say that?' Glance with my mother.

On a lighter topic, I know it was a few days ago but I just can't stop thinking back to how crazy it was to see Ledecky swimming so far ahead in the women's 800... I haven't been watching the olympics as much as I used to, but that just really left an impression on me.

• Like 1

Interesting News from Rio, I think we were expecting it based on the stories of crime and poverty:

4 US Olympians were robbed including Ryan Lochte by fake police in Rio

Luckily none of them were hurt and no one tried to kidnap them, but could you imagine an Olympic hostage situation? What if Phelps was among them (he's like a national treasure now) ?

Make that another Olympic hostage situation. It was much, much worse in Munich. Those of us old enough to remember watching it remember the horror and the feeling of desecration.

• Like 1