Everything Olympics

• Site Administrator

So the Olympics have officially started. What are your predictions for medals for your country?  We can talk anything Olympics here but unfortunately no hunks in speedos :(

i going to give a shout out to the Canadian Women's Soccer/Football Team. Hoping better luck than in London. 

• Site Administrator

Just so you know, I'm going to be completely parochial Australian :P We will, as usual, be at or near the top of the medal tally once you take population into account 0:) I won't make a prediction on the number of gold medals we'll win (there have been Olympics when we've won little or even none -- talk of the Montreal Olympics is off limits, everyone!), but our strengths are in the pool, cycling, hockey, and shooting. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that our men's basketball team will win their first medal.

• Like 1

Sweden although being a tiny speck of land near the North Pole has won a surprising number of medals at times. We have some wicked swimmers, shooters, handball, soccer and a few boaty events I have no name for...

Gramme, when you said hockey, for a brief moment I actually went "In the summer Olympics?" LOL

And my posting of a guy in speedos a while back was of course only to show appreciation for the fine work Stella McCartney has done.

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator

Gramme, when you said hockey, for a brief moment I actually went "In the summer Olympics?" LOL

Field hockey is the only real hockey 0:) It's usually between us and the Netherlands...

• Like 1

USA USA USA!!!!

;)

Honestly I only care about watching tennis, basketball, and soccer for sport. I only care about watching all water sports and all volleyball for pleasure.

We can talk anything Olympics here but unfortunately no hunks in speedos  :(

What about Pita Taufatofua, Tonga's flag bearer? Was oil part of his official uniform?

Too bad he's not part of our 44 member Team LGBT contingent!

The Olympics are my biannual exception to my hatred of sports.

Edited by Former Member

Would hordes of fans chanting 'LG BT!' be any less obnoxious than the mindless 'USA! USA! USA!'?

I don't think the hooligans can figure out whether they're supposed too be chanting 'UK! UK! UK!', 'GB! GB! GB!', or 'In guh land!' (Or maybe 'Not EU!')

But Canadians would probably be politely saying 'Sorry!' instead…

Addition: How could I forget 'Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! Oi! Oi! Oi!'?

Edited by Former Member

Well, at least Denmark's first Olympic (Silver) medalist Jakob Fuglsang is both good-looking and clever enough to wear a track suit over his cycle pants unlike the bronze medalist from Poland. :facepalm: It's Jakob on the left, if you're in doubt. :lol:

We're officially expecting 10 medals, and up to 25 might happen. But the one in cycling was an unexpected bonus. :D rowing and swimming are our best hopes.

PS: you might enjoy some of the official photos of the talented Danish swimmer Viktor Bromer.

Edited by Timothy M.

Looking forward to, Beach Volleyball, Swimming, Men + Women volleyball, and Men + Women Gymnastics. :D Cycling and the Track/Field sports are also pretty fun to watch as well. I know I'm not going to be able to catch all of those, but I really love the Olympics. 

Also, I'll try to be taking notes during the Swimming comps for The Best Year... if I can keep my mind off wet bodies in tight clothes.. :P 

Edited by Krista
  • Like 1
  • Site Administrator

I know that some people like to order the medal tally by the total number of medals, but I prefer the order which is by the number of gold medals, and then silver and bronze. At the moment, Japan and the USA have five medals apiece, while Australia only has three, but two of ours are gold (both from swimming) which puts us at the top of the medal tally :D Since that's not going to last, I thought I get it while it was still true... 0:)

Edited by Graeme

Well, at least Denmark's first Olympic (Silver) medalist Jakob Fuglsang is both good-looking and clever enough to wear a track suit over his cycle pants unlike the bronze medalist from Poland. :facepalm: It's Jakob on the left, if you're in doubt. :lol:

We're officially expecting 10 medals, and up to 25 might happen. But the one in cycling was an unexpected bonus. :D rowing and swimming are our best hopes.

Back in the '70s, there was a fad of telling absolutely and totally politically incorrect jokes ascribing imbecilic qualities to persons supposedly of Polish descent. The jokes and the victim subjects were called the same slur that Archie Bunker used in reference to his Polish-American son-in-law Michael Stoic's ethnicity: Dumb P*****k. Apple co-founder and Polish-American once had a daily Dial-A-P*****k Joke answering machine phone number. They were similar to Dumb Blonde jokes.

I recounted the list that the Advocate has and they undercounted. The real total, according to the names they've provided (as opposed to the number of pictures) is 45. They seem to have counted Helen and Kate Richardson Walsh as one person.

The countries they represent are interesting too. GB (as they are listed by the Olympics) and the US are tied with 8 each. But tiny Netherlands comes close with 6! Sweden and Brazil tied with 4. Canada has 3. France, Germany, New Zealand, and South Africa tie with 2. And Australia, Finland, India, and Tonga each have a single representative.

Northern European and English-speaking countries, in general, are more open and accepting of LGBTs than most parts of the world. Amini Fonua, the Tongan, lives in New Zealand. But Dutee Chand apparently lives in India where LGBTs are persecuted. South Africa (Caster Semenya and Sunette Stella Viljoen) may have LGBT rights enshrined in its constitution and legal Same-Sex Marriage, but it's not the safest place in the world to be LGBT. Rio is relatively progressive, but Brazil is a very dangerous place for most of its LGBT citizens.

Women's Soccer and Field Hockey seem to be the sports for Out Lesbians. Equestrian seems to be the sport for Out Gay men. We seem to be over-represented on the US women's basketball and Rugby teams too! (As usual, Lesbians are much braver than Gay men!)

As far as I can tell, we haven't won any medals yet…

Edited by Former Member

Shew, Cycling was a death trap... those winners really earned those.

One woman fractured her spine. I saw that accident live and it looked horrendous, I nearly had to change the channel, because I figured the wrecking was just about to begin.

On the men's side, one athlete broke both of his collar bones. One broke his pelvis, there were a couple of them that broke bones in their arms and legs.. mercy. I don't remember this many major injuries in the last Olympics.

• Like 1

The local TV stations keep me up to date on the success of Team Bay Area – anybody with a connection to the 9 County region is claimed (by birth, having lived here, attending/attended any of the numerous colleges and universities [Not just UC Berkeley/Cal or Stanford!], or plays for a local sports team). So in addition to members of the US contingent, there are other contingents represented (Hong Kong being one of many that were mentioned).

However, my primary loyalty has to be with Team LGBT over Team USA or Team Bay Area.

Shew, Cycling was a death trap... those winners really earned those.

One woman fractured her spine. I saw that accident live and it looked horrendous, I nearly had to change the channel, because I figured the wrecking was just about to begin.

On the men's side, one athlete broke both of his collar bones. One broke his pelvis, there were a couple of them that broke bones in their arms and legs.. mercy. I don't remember this many major injuries in the last Olympics.

Yeah, it was fucking scary. :o There was an interview with Jakob Fuglsang where he says he heard people falling behind him on that curve (eg Cole Porter from Australia), so on the last round he took extra care on the descent - and came round the corner to see Nibali and the other guy crashed right there. (Nibali from Italy was the one with the two broken collar bones :pinch: ) This gave him the chance to get a medal.

Wow! I bet that didn't get on US TV anywhere!

Probably not, but not for that reason. NBC's coverage has been very sporadic at best. That is why I watch Live Feeds of the sports of interest. Very sweet picture and congratulations to them. :D 

As for my coverage...

Matt Anderson - Men's Indoor Volleyball has a new fan... mercy. :D 

I actually thought the Americans would be more dominate in Volleyball and Swimming, but they're a bit hit and miss in Swimming and very lack luster in Indoor Volleyball. The Men may not even qualify out of Pool Play.

I really enjoyed the Synchronized diving as well. I watched the live feed for that and some of the Cross Country Equestrian, but I couldn't stomach watching the horses crashing, they crash hard.. shew. So I had to stop that feed. Not sure what I'll watch later, I'm really wanting to get into Track and Field stuff. :D