*Whistles* I won't say much right now, because I'm tired and I don't want to go into much detail since the chapter is still pretty new. The History between them is becoming a little bit more clearer. I would like it if they cooperated with one another better so I could know everything that went on.. instead of just words. I want every little detail..

.... every little detail. ;) 

And another chapter. :P

• Like 3

I think Marc and Casey are doing quite well. They are working together and even talking at times. Their bosses can be proud of the fact their plan worked. Friendship and more may be gone, but at least the guys won't lose their jobs. I can live with that, as long as we find out what happened. But of course I'd prefer a happier ending. ;)

Well, damn, I didn't see that coming. I wonder if Rick said something which made Casey think Marc was letting him wait on purpose. Since he didn't see the horse training until Marc was actually getting up on Rocket, he may not have realized it was a green horse. But of course there's no excuse. Casey is continuously interpreting every word and move of Marc's the wrong way, but now his stupidity has come back to bite him in the ass. He is now in the dog house with everyone, including his own boss. :facepalm:

Oh and Trent and Ryan must be feeling pretty bad about the whole situation. I don't blame them for forcing the two men to work together right after the jail time, but I think all the subsequent situations simply arose from circumstances. Ryan even said once that they didn't mean to stick them together. And they should be able to ask any of their men to do the job they're employed to do. If they've been used to handling certain ranch tasks jointly, then I can understand them being annoyed at any disruption to this. But of course Trent should have done better with busting Casey's nuts for the stupid way he's been acting.

I can't decide whether I want Casey to be kept far away from Marc for weeks or whether he should be allowed to apologize and make amends. Like having to take care of Marc, lol. ;)

• Like 2

I can't believe any horseman would approach a green horse in the round pen like Casey did... he couldn't have known the situation with Rocket, and that would be on Rick IMO... even so, Casey should have been savvy enough to assess what was going on... so he let anger get the best of him... and that is the flaw we are seeing a lot in him. I thought he was making progress... now, I'm not so sure... I expect, though, Casey is going to be feeling really guilty about what went down... and I should also say, I really enjoyed the chapter. I didn't see that coming at all.

Edited by Headstall
  • Like 3

I personally have a much easier time identifying with Marc over Casey and this last chapter certainly reinforced that view.  These people are ranch foremen and are experts around horses.  Casey's action therefore almost rises to personal assault and Marc's wounds are not inconsequential.  Even if they are kept apart, Casey should have the decency to at least send a letter of apology.  

And damn!  Why do people always have to believe the worst about others when they have disagreed??

Edited by Daddydavek
  • Like 2

Casey stunt in this last chapter definitely got me a little ranty. I think I reined it in pretty well though :)

"reined it in" good one, spikey :gikkle:

LOL, almost exactly what I was thinking too, Gary. Reined it in, yeah right! :rofl:

I'm so glad I'm not the only ranter in GA. :D

• Like 2

LOL, almost exactly what I was thinking too, Gary. Reined it in, yeah right! :rofl:

I'm so glad I'm not the only ranter in GA. :D

Tim you know you're not alone. You've seen me riled up a time or two

• Like 2

I agree with Marc that his concussion is a lot worse than the broken legs and bruised ribs. If he doesn't take it seriously it may have longer reaching consequences than his other injuries. Lots of sleep and rest is important, and no 'screen' time or physical activity with risks of new head bumps, such as riding. So his broken ankle may be a blessing in disguise, forcing Marc to stay still while his brain heals.

• Like 1

I just read the latest chapter and loved it. I think the story was unfolded just right... you didn't keep us wondering for too long... Casey is probably a very sad man inside, hiding behind anger... and now, shame. I can like him now because I understand him... all of our journeys are different... his has been hard for him to cope with. Maybe this incident will make him face his feelings and who he is... good job, Renee... :)

• Like 1

Daddydavek had a good point about the possible reasons for Casey's reaction the morning after. But even if he was taken advantage off or even molested as a teen, it doesn't excuse his refusal to talk about it later. They were good friends and Casey should know Marc would do anything like that, just as Ryan knows.

And I agree with Gary: Rick is a troublemaker :pissed: and I hope he's ashamed of himself - or at least properly punished by Ryan. Making him work hard to cover for Marc is only fair.

• Like 1

Daddydavek had a good point about the possible reasons for Casey's reaction the morning after. But even if he was taken advantage off or even molested as a teen, it doesn't excuse his refusal to talk about it later. They were good friends and Casey should know Marc would do anything like that, just as Ryan knows.

And I agree with Gary: Rick is a troublemaker :pissed: and I hope he's ashamed of himself - or at least properly punished by Ryan. Making him work hard to cover for Marc is only fair.

Yeah, there is definitely a story with Casey. His insistence on making full-on love, drunk or not, tells me he's done it before... or if not, he's full on in love with his one-time best friend... or both... I think Marc is the kind of guy who'll listen if Casey wants to open up. But, CAN Casey open up? And yeah, Rick's previous anger at Casey, before all this, makes me wonder if he has feelings for Marc... why else would he omit telling Casey about Rocket being backed for the first time... can you say jealous much? Curious....

• Like 1

I too.. went on a bit of rant in my review... lol. This story, shew. 

Mostly my rant was in defense of Casey though. I felt that everyone has set the guy up for failure. The bosses for putting two people that can't work professionally together is a ticking time bomb, no matter if they are similarly qualified. The workplace isn't the best place to solve disputes, even disputes as bosses they're not really given explanations for. You just can't assume that it can be worked out easily, their jobs are long and dangerous jobs where common sense and a level head are crucial. Anger takes both of those out of the equation. So the bosses set them up for accidents and they've had a near miss and an accident that both could have been much worse.

Then you have the co-workers. None of Marc's co-workers, Rick, etc, will work with Casey. Marc keeps him waiting on purpose just to be mean. Casey snapped after Rick, as we were told, provoked him. Anger blinds people to details and it was upon a quick approach, where he's already waving and yelling. The accident happened when he got close enough for the horse to say... "hey wait a minute, I didn't sign up for this..." and start freaking out. 

Yes, I agree that Casey should have reacted better... but the blame for the accident was with every individual on both ranches that allowed all these poor working relationships to build and fester. There needs to be some leadership sitting all these people down and telling them to grow up and to work things out.. on their own free time, or to not come back if they continue to allow it to interfere with normal procedures. 

As for the incident that caused this entire mess: I felt Casey was right to be angry. He was so drunk that he couldn't stand up without help. Even though there were sexual desire or some sort of attachment between them that might someday lead to a completely consensual interaction. This definitely wasn't a completely consensual interaction, for both participants. It isn't Marc's job to know if Casey fully understands who he is inside his own head, but it was his job to stop the sex from happening, since we're believing that Marc 'could' have stopped it at some point since in his own words, he wanted to. 

If something happened in Casey's past that fuels Casey's reaction the next morning - the best friend relationship would end. If Casey was molested or raped by a stranger in his past, that would be bad enough... but for it to be your best friend would be a thousand times worse. Even if there were feelings reciprocated, there was also alcohol pressing the issue.

But, Casey also remembered that it was Marc that was doing all the sex stuff with him... that it was Marc that was with him in the room. That is was Marc that he was kissing to initiate what followed. And he was sober enough to know to be pissed about something happening, otherwise, it would have just been an awkward attempt at Marc kissing him.. and a "Holy shit, how did I get naked..." kind of morning for him. Sooo.. with all that said.. Marc should have stopped it until they were both level headed and willing participants. I don't see it as rape though, there is just too much recognition on Casey's part for him not to be a completely unwilling participant.

--

I know my thoughts are a bit jumbled. Mostly because we don't know what Casey really thought about the incident. If he remembers initiating it. If he remembers liking it and wanting it to happen... and that their sexual desires and attraction for one another are mutual. So until I know that, I'll be a bit jumbled on who should have stopped it.. or if one was too drunk to have been completely consensual. :P

Oh.. and I ended up ranting again.. so. :P So, I apologize. I just really like the bit of complexity between the characters, their past, and the current situation and how all of that can be worked out. It is definitely a mess for all involved. 

Edited by Krista
  • Like 2

I think we can forgive Casey for freaking out a bit when he wakes, but to call Marc hurtful names and accuse him of being a predator, not just in the heat of the moment, but continuously since then, is simply not OK. As for Casey being drunk, no one forced him to drink those beers and i'm guessing it was more of a drunken courage thing.

I agree that Ryan is out of bounds with putting pressure on Marc to see Casey and with his consensual question, although he didn't get the details we did about how much Casey enjoyed the sex.

• Like 2

I think we can forgive Casey for freaking out a bit when he wakes, but to call Marc hurtful names and accuse him of being a predator, not just in the heat of the moment, but continuously since then, is simply not OK. As for Casey being drunk, no one forced him to drink those beers and i'm guessing it was more of a drunken courage thing.

I agree that Ryan is out of bounds with putting pressure on Marc to see Casey and with his consensual question, although he didn't get the details we did about how much Casey enjoyed the sex.

Ryan is waaaaaay out of bounds. If his first assumption is his trusted employee could possibly force himself upon somebody else, he's not as good a manager/boss as I previously assumed. It's the same type of accusation/questioning women get in rape trials from sleazy defense attorneys.

• Like 2

Good points... It doesn't sound like Casey was blackout drunk or anywhere close... enough to let his inhibitions down, for sure... but I got the impression he knew exactly what he was doing... and Marc, who really cared for him, did rebuff his advances a few times. Fine... you awake to guilt and regret, but you don't put all the blame on Marc... it takes two... Casey is obviously troubled, but that too isn't on Marc. As I said before, I can like him now, but he needs to get his shit together... you can't function well when you don't like yourself... just saying....

Edited by Headstall
  • Like 1

I think after the initial freak out, Marc tried to speak to him about the incident. Then Casey took to name calling, etc, which set Marc's own anger off on Casey. So they're both at fault, Casey more so than Marc on the "Morning after" and subsequent days that cemented the fallout.

Where I think Marc went wrong was to allow Casey's advances to continue to full on sex. A drunk person cannot be 100% consensual to what is happening to them. Even if it was pretty much self indulged drunkenness. They were both under the influence. What I got out of Marc's retelling, is that Marc was sober enough to take a shower. To walk and stand with his own power and to help hold another grown person upright. Where as, Casey was stumbling around, knocking into things, and unable to stand up under his own power. Which told me that Casey was far more drunk than Marc. Also, Marc admitted to Ryan that he remembered wanting to stop Casey before it went too far... and didn't. That also is a problem with Marc's case for what happened that night. I don't know if a relationship can grow from something like this. Personally, I wouldn't want anything to do with the guy that allowed my drunken state to get the better of both of us... even if I realize there is blame on my part too. 

I would like to think that in the coming months or weeks after their fun night, it would have happened naturally - if Marc had stopped after the first or second kiss. That both of them would finally bridge the gap and take down their walls for a relationship to happen. 

Casey should have just left the friendship and not antagonize Marc to where they're both hostile, I agree.

I'm maybe at the point where I don't want to see this relationship salvaged. The relationship is looking pretty toxic at this stage in the story.  

Edit to Add:

We only have one re-telling though. I really am interested to see what Casey remembers from that night. If he remembers every little detail, then for whatever reason freaked out the day before when no longer drunk. Then the antagonizing of Marc would be far worse, it is one thing to be freaked out.. it is a totally different matter to keep throwing punches. :D

Either way, I really like the story. A wee bit hooked.. :D 

Edited by Krista

“I came back from the shower”—feeling a little guilty if he was honest—“and Casey went and did his own clean-up. Things were going fine.” Despite Marc drooling over a shirtless Casey with water droplets clinging to his bare chest. “We watched TV and finished the six pack, but neither of us were drunk. At least I didn’t think so.”

I don't know about anyone else, but this seems suspicious to me... after this, Casey started stumbling around... how many times had they drank together before, and after a couple of more beers Casey is almost falling down???... wtf...and he tried three times to kiss Marc before he finally gave in. Casey was able to shower too, with no problem... it seems like maybe his being drunk was more of an act... it's called liquid courage for a reason... I don't know... just thinking out loud....

• Like 1

“I came back from the shower”—feeling a little guilty if he was honest—“and Casey went and did his own clean-up. Things were going fine.” Despite Marc drooling over a shirtless Casey with water droplets clinging to his bare chest. “We watched TV and finished the six pack, but neither of us were drunk. At least I didn’t think so.”

I don't know about anyone else, but this seems suspicious to me... after this, Casey started stumbling around... how many times had they drank together before, and after a couple of more beers Casey is almost falling down???... wtf...and he tried three times to kiss Marc before he finally gave in. Casey was able to shower too, with no problem... it seems like maybe his being drunk was more of an act... it's called liquid courage for a reason... I don't know... just thinking out loud....

If he faked his drunkenness to get Marc into bed, then went out of his way to make both their lives hell,  I want to take Casey around the barn and kick his ass good for him. :D lol.

You do bring up a good point. He was able to clean himself off  - it doesn't specify an actual shower, or just washing up via sink/water in the bathroom. He came out shirtless and wet though.. but Marc didn't specify if shower like he did for himself. 

• Like 2

You do bring up a good point. He was able to clean himself off  - it doesn't specify an actual shower, or just washing up via sink/water in the bathroom. He came out shirtless and wet though.. but Marc didn't specify if shower like he did for himself. 

I had the same thought as Gary. They had showers after walking home from the dinner and before they drank the beers. Marc would never have bought more beer if Casey was already obviously drunk by the end of their meal, and he would have noticed if Casey had washed down three beers before his shower. I was thinking Casey had four beers and Marc two.

And I'll maintain that Casey's reaction might have been understandable if Marc was a stranger who had picked him up in a bar. But a long time friend ? Someone who had either never said he's gay, or had never made any advances even if he was out to Casey and attracted to him. The freak out I can forgive, even though it's stupid, but the refusal to talk and the hurtful name-calling and accusations are another matter.

• Like 1