I think Alan should tell the policeman that Peter isn't going anywhere, and if they want to interview him they can do it right here but not until their lawyer is present. If the people from child protective service object they can be present permanently in the house until the misunderstanding is cleared up. None of them should move an inch before they are told the reason for the decision of the authorities, and have a chance to refute the silly stories which the grandmother has pushed into the boy's head. If the police won't let Troy come home while Peter is there, than that's their problem. They can have him sitting in the police car outside the house for as long as it takes.

But I can see how it will all play out instead and it's depressing. The relationship of Peter and Alan will be the casualty of Alan's mother insisting on leaving while the Lyntons are still on the war path. I hope she's proud of her stupid choices. If I was Peter I would refuse to be in the presence of the boys ever again. I would move home to my own apartment and tell Alan he was welcome to visit any time. Nothing is worth being falsely accused of molesting kids, and if my partner didn't stand my me 100% and made it his priority - even above his nephews, then I'd cut my losses.

But of course Alan is too goody good and responsible to tell his mother and his sister that he is moving out right away and handing the kids over to the CPS, because he's had enough.

• Like 1

The police would take Troy away and turn him over to CPS. He’d be placed in foster care and it would be even harder to get him out of the system than it already is to get him back.

CPS, while they do their best to protect the interests of the child, only make things much more difficult for everyone involved. They have to be 1000% sure that the child will be safe when they return him since there are way too many cases where they were fooled by actual abusive guardians. Guardians who were often thrust into caring for children they were not expecting to have and were overwhelmed by the sudden change in their lives – and took out their frustrations with micro aggressions (or worse).

Outsiders like the police and CPS see the outline that could be interpreted many ways. They are paid to anticipate the worst, not to expect that everyone else is innocent. This case is filled with subtle shades of gray, but they are trained to see everything in black and white. Unfortunately for the boys, things that would otherwise be ignored as normal, need to be examined and scrutinized because of the allegations.

It’s easy for us because we ‘saw’ what happened. But only Troy was a witness and children’s voices get discounted in times like this.

Edited by Former Member

I think Alan should tell the policeman that Peter isn't going anywhere, and if they want to interview him they can do it right here but not until their lawyer is present. If the people from child protective service object they can be present permanently in the house until the misunderstanding is cleared up. 

Not sure about Australia, but in the US that isn't how it works.  If Peter were to refuse to cooperate, there is no way CPS would let the child return while Peter were still in the house.   You are right, call the lawyer NOW, while Peter is packing a small just in case bag, and have her meet them at the precinct with the arbiter from that mornings hearing in tow.

The police would take Troy away and turn him over to CPS. He’d be placed in foster care and it would be even harder to get him out of the system than it already is to get him back.

CPS, while they do their best to protect the interests of the child, only make things much more difficult for everyone involved. They have to be 1000% sure that the child will be safe when they return him since there are way too many cases where they were fooled by actual abusive guardians. Guardians who were often thrust into caring for children they were not expecting to have and were overwhelmed by the sudden change in their lives – and took out their frustrations with micro aggressions (or worse).

Unfortunately Droughtquake is right.  I've seen abuse allegations through my work at the daycare only too often.  Everything from an abusive father who fractured his daughter's collar bone try to remove her from the daycare in violation of a TRO to a false accusation from a mom who got caught cheating saying he was abusive to the children and she was afraid for her life, getting his firearms and all associated licences and ID's taken away.  His "abuse" of the children? She claimed unnecessary medical procedures. The procedures in question? A mouth swab for DNA testing to see if the two toddlers were actually his, since he found out the cheating dated back to before their wedding!  (I would have had them DNA tested too!)

My point is, the authorities have to investigate EVERY case as though a child's life depends on it. The sad truth is that it very well might!

• Like 4

It IS better to err on the side of caution when it comes to the welfare of children, but nonetheless the situation had been and would continue to be stressful for all parties concerned ...

I feel Tim has painted a rather drastic picture of a possible outcome for Peter; but to my horror, I felt I could have done the "I wash my hands of this whole child care business" because I would've been hurt deeply. No good deed goes unpunished, indeed ...

:runs away wailing: (It is always a horror to find out that one is not as nice a person as in one's own perception)

• Like 3

One problem with bureaucrats such as Child Protective workers -- as with any bureaucrat -- is that there is little upside to taking a chance, but he or she can't go wrong in the eyes of management by enforcing a rule or regulation. The problem is endemic to bureaucracy.

Edited by rec
  • Like 2

We might not like bureaucracy, but the alternative is chaos and anarchy. We, as a society, set up rules and regulations to attempt to enforce the standards that the group decides on. Additional rules and regulations are attempts to account for exceptions that have been discovered in the past.

Simpler or fewer rules and regulations would mean that more cases would be unjustly decided.

Well, I'm on Peter's side. I wouldn't want to see Troy ever again and I'd avoid any other kids too. But then I don't much like children in the first place. ;)

Alan should hand the kids over to his parents and tell them his partner is more important than anything else in his life. But even if he does that, their relationship will still be in danger, because Alan will feel guilty over abandoning his nephews.

Oh, and Peter is a lot more dense than I expected for not knowing immediately that the zipper incidence was the cause of the problem. We all suspected the moment it happened and knew it when we heard about the Lyntons abducting Troy, long before the police turned up. But at least Helen got it sorted out.

Anyway, I hope his friends does a lot of babysitting in the next two weeks, so Peter and Alan can spend time together.

Did Peter and Alan sublet their apartment or something? Or is there another reason Peter is staying with his friends?

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 3

I don’t like kids either. People who don’t like kids should not be encouraged to have them ‘because they’ll grow to love them after they have them.’ People who hate kids, but have them do not make good parents. It is irresponsible to encourage people to do something they’ve already told you they don’t want to do. Having children is optional, the earth is over-populated, and there are too many people out there who never should have had kids in the first place!

That having been said, I don’t think Peter really wants to get rid of Troy and Bradley. I think he’s just frustrated and overwhelmed to begin with. And then gets steamrollered by these accusations. He’s adjusted fairly well considering it happened so suddenly and traumatically.

Peter and Alan were favored babysitters by Troy and Bradley before they were thrust into primary caregiver status. The boys seem to have adjusted fairly well to being under the care of their uncles. The temper tantrums seem to have become less frequent.

You know, Alan’s parents might consider this to be the sort of emergency that they’ll make an exception for…

• Site Administrator

In Peter's defense, the zipper incident isn't something that's a particular important to him. He wouldn't think of it as molestation, which is what he's been accused of. That's why he hasn't remembered it.

• Like 4

How many (adult male) comedians have a bit about getting stuck in a zipper? It’s usually related to them being drunk, but the fact that they make jokes about it suggests that it happens to at least some adults! (I’ve never had a drink and I cannot recall ever having gotten stuck in a zipper.)

I have a nephew that was Troys age 30 years ago and he was a squirmer.  I finally gave up and just let him run around with his fly open.  He now has 4 kids of his own and is a career police officer with an impecable record.  I guess my decision did not effect him in a negative way.  :gikkle:

As for the Lyntons, I hope that all hell rains on their miserable existance---PERIOD.  Lock them up for kidnaping, sue them for mental anguish and false reporting, refuse them ANY contact with the boys and secure a restraining order baring them any contact in any form.  See how they like to tango to that tune  :fight:  :pissed: !!!!

• Like 3

I have a nephew that was Troys age 30 years ago and he was a squirmer.  I finally gave up and just let him run around with his fly open.  He now has 4 kids of his own and is a career police officer with an impecable record.  I guess my decision did not effect him in a negative way.  :gikkle:

Are you sure he’s not still a (secret) exhibitionist?  ;-)

I don't know and I am not going to ask. He is bigger than me (get your mind out of the gutter) and he packs a gun....

So really, all you know is that he hasn’t flashed you in 30 years…  ;-)

By the way, the proper response to a flasher is to point at ‘it’ while laughing and ask, “Is that all you have?”

• Site Moderator

Loved the final line. Peter has come a long way, hasn't he?   :D

I have more to say but that will have to wait because I'm using my tablet right now. The review is still percolating in my brain, so that will also come later.

Final words: nicely done Graeme, nicely done. :)

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 3

Do the Lyntons think that Lisa will ever let them have contact with her children after she gets out and finds out what they've done?

In a truly just world, they’d be denied all contact, but the authorities are being much more lenient than I would be. Troy and Bradley would miss being with their paternal grandparents if they were not allowed to see them. At some point in their lives they’ll eventually come in contact with homophobes anyway, no matter how much Lisa tries to shield them.

I liked the way the judge put those two women in their place after stringing them along. Nice little court room drama with Lisa and the boys appearing in order to save the day.

Peter seems to be able to lay the blame on the right people (the Lyntons) and get back into a good relationship with the boys. Good for him and probably the best way to salvage his relationship with Alan, who would be upset if Peter refused to have anything to do with his nephews.

• Like 4