Nintendo Switch, Anyone?

Okay, I've been trying to keep myself detached and unoptimistic about Nintendo's future with home console electronics ever since the Wii U bombed, but now that the teaser trailer has been released for the NX - or Nintendo Switch, as its name turns out to be - so much of the leaks have been proven true-ish... and it looks awesome. 

To be honest, this is exactly the kind of gaming system that I've been waiting for. I've been a mobile gamer since the original Gameboy came out in the 1980s, but always had a home console of some sort up until I stopped playing console games as much during the early part of the original Wii's lifecycle, partly because I wasn't home enough to make investing in a non-portable system (especially one as expensive as the offerings by Sony and Microsoft) a losing proposition. I'm cautiously optimistic that the Switch may actually be something that works for me.

A friend of mine was bitching that he doesn't want another system with 'all these kids games and no substance' - meaning, he wanted crap with blood and guts and guns and cars and punching hookers in the face I guess. Well, the marketing for this system in the trailer automatically shows that they aren't going for 'family' here so much as the young adult market. That means a diversity of games, including more hardcore titles. I mean, they had goddamn Skyrim in the trailer, didn't they (or was it just a new Monster Hunter title from Capcom, which is likely to be a good sell too)? The developer list is pretty extensive. This system is far from lacking 3rd party support, at least at this time. Hopefully any issues that have been rumoured from early hands on - frame-rate drops, for example - are being worked out, though some of that stuff can come from poor programming on the part of the developer as much as hardware issues, sometimes. 

Have we reached the point of saturation for graphics-heavy computer/home console gaming and people are willing to move past that for (hopefully) better gaming experiences? Does this seem like a hit or a miss to y'all at first glance?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Administrator

I'm more into old school Nintendo stuff.  the new stuff is too... um... wimpy.  That said, if Nintendo finally gave up on hardware and starting putting thier games on real things like Xbox, Playstation and PC, then I'd be spending money there.

that said, I do plan on buying the Classic NES mini they are releasing later this month.  Some of my old time favorite games growing up are on there.

• Like 1