55 minutes ago, Dodger said:

Great advert, ours are so boring compared to the Scandinavian ads.

I would definitely have this guy on speed dial and he would get a generous tip!

I can't see him... However; Sammantha my screen reader described him beautifully... I think she had moist panties! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

It seems to me that Nissan’s use of John Cougar Mellencamp’s R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A. is kind of ironic for a Franco-Japanese company…

And I wonder if Walmart really intends for us to hear the Aerosmith lyrics ‘Dream On’ in their ad intending to promote the fact that Walmart actually does sell some products that are made in the US even though they are the single largest exporter from the PRC. To me, it sounds almost sarcastic…

PetSmart brags about giving a pet a meal for every bag of pet food you buy. They mention it helps pets all across the nation – but their map shows shows sacks of food in both the US and Canada! Do they think that Canada is part of the US?

• Site Moderator
7 hours ago, droughtquake said:

PetSmart brags about giving a pet a meal for every bag of pet food you buy. They mention it helps pets all across the nation – but their map shows shows sacks of food in both the US and Canada! Do they think that Canada is part of the US?

Unfortunately, some people do think Canada is part of the US. However, its probably just poor advertising, because there are PetSmart stores in Canada. It stands to reason they'd be part of this program too. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

Unfortunately, some people do think Canada is part of the US. However, its probably just poor advertising, because there are PetSmart stores in Canada. It stands to reason they'd be part of this program too. 

I’d think it would sound better if they changed the phrasing to say ‘both Canada and the US.’  ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

The Audi Karma ad must be set in Canada or some other Arctic country. The ad starts off with two bullies in heavy winter clothing chasing another pre-teenage threatening his with snowballs. They manage to trap him and ask, ‘Any last words?’ The Audis drive down the road causing a localized Global Warming event, melting all the snow. The snowballs melt in the bullies’ hands as they prepare to pelt him. The hero kid shouts, ‘Karma!’ as he throws a tomato at the bullies.  ;-)

The fictional ‘Carl Hardee Sr’ spokesperson (Carl’s Jr was founded by Carl Karcher, Hardee’s was founded by Wilber Hardee, but both are owned by CKE Restaurants) is an attempt to move away from the hyper-sexualized ads they’ve been known for. It might also be an attempt to separate themselves from the homophobic Karcher family. But it seems to closely emulate the reintroduction of ‘Colonel Sanders’ as spokesman for KFC.

There’s a line in the current Cadillac Escalade ad: You can buy a car or you can buy a Cadillac. Which is completely true, the Escalade is an SUV – or in other words, a truck! It’s just a very expensive, station wagon-like truck!  ;-)

Forty years ago, people would have put you in an insane asylum if you tried to tell them that not only would Cadillac and Lincoln be selling trucks, but that they’d be their best sellers! In the ‘70s, the big King of the Hill competition was between the Cadillac Eldorado and the Lincoln Mark IV (or which ever model was current at the time). Now the big competition is between the Escalade and the Navigator. And instead of targeting pimps, they’re targeting drug dealers…  ;-)

Edited by Former Member

There’s a MasterCard ad with an Asian guy disappointed that a movie has sold out. His white buddy arrives and grandly announces that he MasterPassed it, apparently using the Fandango app, and was able to get tickets. Cut to the two of them sitting together inside the theater. Are they on a date? 😉

Edited by Former Member
  • 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, droughtquake said:

There’s a Nissan ad that reminded me that lots of new cars have automatic braking, automatic lane keeping, and automatic parking. Texting and Messaging have made young people lazy spellers. I can just imagine how incompetent young drivers will be!

i agree! when my son was going to learn to drive, for family unity, i sent him to defensive driving school. you supply the car for this course. he took our brand-new Honda Element with ABS, stability trac, anti skid and who know what. we were more interested in the stereo system :P anyway, they were teaching them how to handle a skid. send them down a wet section, slam on the brakes and you skid and learn how to deal with it. watch 3 kids go down and skid. my kid, goes down, slams on the brakes and stops. the instructor and him sit, wondering what happened. tried again. same response. i cracked up at that point, because i figured it out, the car was smarter than the road.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, mogwhy said:

the car was smarter than the road.

On some of the fancier, sportier vehicles, you can turn off some of those features since they can interfere with some of the more extreme behaviors that can be desirable, but are usually too difficult to perform by any but the most experienced drivers. Mainstream and less expensive vehicles do not allow disabling, probably for liability reasons. You wouldn’t want to encourage a high school student to test those features!

It’s bad enough when you hear about community college students having their high-end Camaros and Mustangs stolen out of the parking lots. No kid could afford to buy a car like that from money he or she earned from after-school jobs. They’d never even be able to afford the insurance costs! Indulgent parents or grandparents are the foolish ones buying extravagant vehicles! It’s way too tempting for a teenager to drive a top of the line sports car and not race their friends!

My parents allowed us to drive their used cars when we first started working. I bought my first new car with money that I’d saved myself – my parents subsidized the purchase by not charging me rent (or for food), but they didn’t pay for anything else. My younger brother’s kids drive his used cars – I don’t know about my older brother’s kids, they’re old enough to buy their own cars now in any case and my brothers aren’t wealthy.

it was the family car and it was me who wanted the stereo system. :) my 1st car i inherited from an older brother who had given it to my parents. i got it only because i needed to have a car to drive my mother and  grandmother to the doctor, do the laundry and groceries etc. i still remember the 1st car i ever bought, such a great feeling. 1974 Dodge Dart. bought it used and 7 years old

• Like 1

I bought a 1978 Ford Pinto hatchback (2.3 liter, 4-speed manual) from my older brother when it was a couple years old. It had an all-glass hatch like the car in Cujo, but mine was light blue with darker blue go-faster stripes. (The gas tank was different from the design in the very uncommon Pinto sedan [the sedan had a trunk instead of a hatchback, but had the same profile] and wasn’t prone to the explosions.)

My first new car was a 1984 Mazda 626 4-door sedan. Much roomier with a smaller 2.0 liter engine that was more powerful and more economical and a 5-speed manual transmission. My subsequent cars cost roughly the same before inflation, but each was smaller that the one it replaced. 1994 Honda Civic 4-door sedan with a 5-speed transmission. 2005 (Toyota) Scion xA 4-door sedan with a 5-speed transmission. (I sold it so I could stay in my apartment for a little longer, but eventually was evicted anyway.)

• 3 weeks later...

It’s amazing that the ‘company built on questions’ doesn’t know how to use a dial phone! Why didn’t they Google the answer? Any old person would be able to tell them you have to pick up the handset before you dial!  ;-)

Edited by Former Member
  • 2 weeks later...

At least according to the graphics in the Honda ad, the Civic engine has only 4 horse power. But the Infiniti ad with Stephen Curry suggests that the advertised vehicle has only two cylinders! Maybe it’s a good thing I’m not a potential customer for either of them!  ;-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The annual GMC Black Friday ad always annoys me. The smug new GMC buyer gloats about not having gotten up early to buy the deals at stores. She brags about having saved hundreds of dollars.

This is a false equivalency. The friend has purchased gifts for friends and relatives. The new truck owner has selfishly only gotten something for herself. But it’s probably effective for its apparent target market who think only about themselves.

Of course, the Giving-Your-Spouse-a-Car-For-the-Holidays concept confuses me too. For most people, a car is a big enough purchase (second only to a home) that both partners in a couple would need to decide about the expense. What happens if both partners make the same decision and buy each other cars? I doubt most couples could afford the huge dent in their budget (especially since the cars always seem to be expensive luxury vehicles). It seems like a very sexist gift where one partner thinks they don’t need to consult the other over such a major decision.

But then again, I grew up poor. I don’t have a trust fund. My daddy didn’t give me a ‘little loan’ of a million dollars…

• 1 month later...

“Chevy employees, not actors.”

Well, if that’s true, somebody better call the Feds on GM! I’m sure they’re violating plenty of employment laws if that elementary school-aged child is working for Chevy! Child Labor Laws have prohibited that sort of thing in the US for decades!  ;-)

• 2 months later...

Applebee's is using Melissa Etheridge’s Come to My Window in their current TV ads. Is this the first time that anyone has used a Lesbian’s music on a national ad? It’s the first time I can remember, in any case. 😉

But until 2008, they used another Lesbian, Wanda Sykes, to voice their Applebee’s Apple mascot saying ‘Together is good’ or ‘Get it together, baby!’ 😉

Maybe Melissa can keep Applebee’s from having to close even more locations.

Edited by Former Member

Is it just me or does it seem like the guys in the current VW SUV ad are cruising each other? The very odd huge smiles and the weird denials that they know each other. All in front of their female companions and two kids each. Of course said female companions seem to know the adults in the other SUV too since they have the same odd huge smiles! Are they covering up an affair too?

On 12/31/2017 at 3:57 AM, droughtquake said:

Well, if that’s true, somebody better call the Feds on GM! I’m sure they’re violating plenty of employment laws if that elementary school-aged child is working for Chevy! Child Labor Laws have prohibited that sort of thing in the US for decades!  ;-)

I think we both are in agreement with the Chevy Employees not actors statement... Chevy will unite a family for a commerical? My sister is in Japan, my brother is in the middle East Chevy you flying them in to see me??

• Haha 1