Dissonance By Macgreg

I think this story deserves a spotlight to be discussed so I'm going to try to start it here. It's been great read so far with lots of twists and turns regarding relationships, coming out, shame, dealing with past painful experiences, etc with some sweet spots and intimate moments thrown in. I really love following the lead characters through their journey towards each other, and Mac has a way of making the setting and events feel real.

Check it out if you haven't.  https://www.gayauthors.org/story/macgreg/dissonance

• Like 5

Good Idea, Larry. There is certainly plenty to discuss, and it's always nice to have an extra place to rant over stupid sisters. :lol: Kathy is worse than Ben's sister, but both annoy me, lol.

Ha ha you're right about that Timothy. The sisters kind of act as negative forces working against Ben and Travis. But Curtis isn't much better, either, lol. At least Audra seems to be coming around a bit now. Not all family members get a long in this world and that's clearly portrayed in this story. All a part of the "dissonance" that underlies everything, which I like because it adds ripple upon ripple to the plot.

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator

I've been promoting this story ever since I started reading it.  Mac is a natural writer who draws readers right into the story.  There are so many layers and nuances to this story, woven in seamlessly.  Hopefully this thread will get more people reading it.  :)  

I wonder if learning the truth about what happened to Travis would change Katy's attitude at all?  I can't see him telling her, but with the ending of the last chapter he may not have a choice if he wants her to stay safe.

• Like 4

I've been promoting this story ever since I started reading it.  Mac is a natural writer who draws readers right into the story.  There are so many layers and nuances to this story, woven in seamlessly.  Hopefully this thread will get more people reading it.   :)

I wonder if learning the truth about what happened to Travis would change Katy's attitude at all?  I can't see him telling her, but with the ending of the last chapter he may not have a choice if he wants her to stay safe.

Oh wow, I didn't know there was a "spoiler" option to this thing! How does that work?

And I agree about the naturalness of Mac's writing. It drew me in too, like weaving of a web of plot and characters. I don't have to like all of the people and events involved to love the story. BUt it wouldn't be the story it is without all of those things.

• Like 4
  • Site Administrator

Oh wow, I didn't know there was a "spoiler" option to this thing! How does that work?

And I agree about the naturalness of Mac's writing. It drew me in too, like weaving of a web of plot and characters. I don't have to like all of the people and events involved to love the story. BUt it wouldn't be the story it is without all of those things.

To make a spoiler tag:

[ spoiler ] Write text [ /spoiler ]  I added spaces around 'spoiler' so you can see what to type.  Eliminate the spaces, and you'll have a spoiler tag. :) 

And I agree 100% about not having to like all of the people and events to love the story.  Some of my favorite stories had me wanting to strangle the characters.  lol

• Like 4

To make a spoiler tag:

[ spoiler ] Write text [ /spoiler ]  I added spaces around 'spoiler' so you can see what to type.  Eliminate the spaces, and you'll have a spoiler tag. :)

And I agree 100% about not having to like all of the people and events to love the story.  Some of my favorite stories had me wanting to strangle the characters.  lol

Thanks for the tip, Valkyrie!

• Like 2

OK, back to the story. Does anyone else feel Kathy's mum isn't doing a very good job as a parent? Leaving Travis to act as a father, something he's not equipped for. Plus Kathy resents his attempts to correct her appalling manners.

• Like 4
  • Site Moderator

OK, back to the story. Does anyone else feel Kathy's mum isn't doing a very good job as a parent? Leaving Travis to act as a father, something he's not equipped for. Plus Kathy resents his attempts to correct her appalling manners.

I'm actually glad I stopped by, because I've discovered a story that looks very interesting and should be on my 'To Read' list. :)

• Like 5

I know what you mean, Timothy. The mom seems aloof or maybe it's that she's in denial, I'm not sure.

Maybe she never recovered from her husband dying so suddenly? Maybe she can't cope. Travis is carrying a lot of weight and responsibility, both for family and ranch. Mom needs to step it up a notch but I'm not sure if she can.

I'm actually glad I stopped by, because I've discovered a story that looks very interesting and should be on my 'To Read' list. :)

It's definitely worth a read, Reader.

• Like 5

Glad to see this.. Can't wait to see the discussions and or rants... (I'm clearly not referring to Tim) :P

I think that whole family is disconnected from each other.. It would be one thing if they were ignoring their gay son and just not dealing with that, but they don't bother with Katy either.. Maybe their communication sucks or they just gave up.. Sad... 

• Like 3
  • Site Administrator

I think Katy has a lot more issues than we're currently seeing.  I agree about the mother possibly giving up due to the loss of her husband.  Or maybe she's unaware of some of the deeper issues occurring in the family.   Something's going to give, though...and probably in pretty spectacular fashion.  

• Like 4

I think Katy has a lot more issues than we're currently seeing.  I agree about the mother possibly giving up due to the loss of her husband.  Or maybe she's unaware of some of the deeper issues occurring in the family.   Something's going to give, though...and probably in pretty spectacular fashion.  

Dare I say it may be Eric.... 

I agree with you about Katy though. I hinted at it in my last review.. 

• Like 3
  • Site Administrator

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Eric made an appearance at the ranch. Now, that would be pretty spectacular...I just hope Travis doesn't end up in jail for killing him. ;)

• Like 4

I'm betting on Eric being a future problem, to what extent I don't know but I'm anxious to see what's next. I think we're going to understand Katy more as we go on, maybe... or maybe the Cooper clan is just messed up pure and simple and we won't get the explanations we seek. My interest is more in Ben and Travis and their relationship evolution. I'm rooting for them to come through.

• Like 4
  • Site Administrator

The new chapter is definitely intense!  The dream sequence was really well done.  As I read it, I thought to myself "it has to be a dream", and was relieved to find out I was right.  It was just the right amount of disturbing.  I can't wait to see what's next. :)

• Like 3

It was just the right amount of disturbing.

He he ;)

Thanks for commenting, guys. It was a tough chapter to write - for various reasons. Glad to know the intensity came through.

• Like 3

Intense chapter. Lots of deep dialogue and honesty. And a crazy dream sequence!

I simply skimmed over the dream sequence because the images were so terrible. :pinch::puke:

But I'm glad Ben concluded it was his subconscious working through various issues.

Travis did the right thing when he told his sister, but she may try to confront Erik and be abducted.

• Like 4

I simply skimmed over the dream sequence because the images were so terrible. :pinch::puke:

But I'm glad Ben concluded it was his subconscious working through various issues.

Sorry you had to skim over it. I added a chapter note so that others aren't surprised by it. I should have done that to begin with. I appreciate your comments, Timothy.

• Like 3

Sorry you had to skim over it. I added a chapter note so that others aren't surprised by it. I should have done that to begin with. I appreciate your comments, Timothy.

I can see how a warning label could be beneficial to some readers, especially those not expecting something so vivid. But that dream was intense (well, all of it was!) I guess maybe Ben's mind is trying to sort out the sex work and the assault all at once? Or his own insecurities or something? Well I hope his mind resolves it soon because I'm pretty sure his heart's already deep in this.

• Like 4