I am a fan of LGBTQ short films, especially at LGBTQ film festivals. Even at the best curated festivals, movies can be uneven in quality with some questionable product being included (do they have a quota for some obscure category that I don’t know about?). So short film programs are great – if one is bad, the next one is probably better!

Some of my favorite shorts over the years have had a very simple premise, while others have packed in so much you don’t realize how short it was until it’s over! One of the best things has been the proliferation of online venues for shorts. In the past, many very good shorts were only shown at festivals and then promptly disappeared. Now they can be sold on iTunes or Amazon, or posted on YouTube or Vimeo. They can potentially reach a much wider audience.

But if you attend a film festival, there’s a chance that the director will be there to provide additional insight and context which can be important if the director comes from a different culture (like the opposite US coast or something).  ;-)

A few of my favorite shorts are:

• 41 Sekunden (41 Seconds) – a German language short where two friends discuss who the better kisser is. (S is for Sexy DVD collection)
  • Boychick – a Jewish young man’s overly intrusive mother embarrasses him while his fantasies morph into a music video. (Boxer Shorts DVD collection)
  • Skallamann (Bald Guy) – a Norwegian musical short about a young man’s first kiss (with the titular bald guy). (Fun in Boys Shorts DVD collection)
  • Crush – a young man is exiled to a sleepy town to stay with his grandmother for the summer. (2000, Dir Phillip J Bartell, stars Brett Chuckerman; Boys to Men DVD collection)
  • Spooners – a Gay couple decides to replace their worn-out futon with a brand new bed. (Fun in Boys Shorts DVD collection)

I originally saw all of them at various Frameline festivals. They should all be fairly easy to find.

Links are to IMDB, not the videos.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...