Genetically Engineered Mammoths: Coming Soon

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2121503-can-we-grow-woolly-mammoths-in-the-lab-george-church-hopes-so/

This is really cool, think of it, it's like Jurassic Park. I didn't even think we've gotten far enough in genetic engineering to try for something like this.

Plus, the researcher is local, Harvard University is only a few blocks away, so maybe I can get a close look at science in action (plus the first steps of Man transcending natural bounds :o )

Remember that scene where Hammond was explaining how the dino's were made by using DNA of extinct animal with a close relative, Michael Crichton was at least 3 decades ahead of his time, but the science is theoretically possible.

I can't wait to see the hybrid Elephant/Mammoth, I hope they name him Manny

Isn't this how every  bad sci-fi movie you've ever seen starts?

I think that I read somewhere that 7 out of 8 species that have ever existed are extinct now. The reasons for this are many like the great extinction events (whatever they were- comets are popular suspects but I'm leaning toward team Super-volcano) or an organism simply isn't hardy enough to adapt to changes in its environment.

Like a super-volcano erupting and triggering a new ice age. 

The science on this is fascinating- the extinction theories, not the woolly mammoth which by all accounts had the horrible judgement to hang out in Siberia, Who didn't see extinction by deep freeze coming?

Isn't this how every  bad sci-fi movie you've ever seen starts?

I think that I read somewhere that 7 out of 8 species that have ever existed are extinct now. The reasons for this are many like the great extinction events (whatever they were- comets are popular suspects but I'm leaning toward team Super-volcano) or an organism simply isn't hardy enough to adapt to changes in its environment.

Jurassic Park, plus its ripoffs :D

It's good science though, we could eventually repopulate a lot of extinct species or even pierce the veil of mortality itself with these experiments. As I said, what mankind ultimately wants to achieve is probably akin to a state immortality or even mythic god-like abilities like a Greek fable.

It is not a matter of if we can do it, but rather a question of how soon and should we do it?

Based on the last few centuries, I don't know if we are mature enough to hold such power yet. A Mammoth hybrid in two years, a genetically perfect child in 10 years, and who knows what else. The future is not too far ahead of us and we should all be able to see what will come about that was once only science fiction.

It is not a matter of if we can do it, but rather a question of how soon and should we do it?

There's a fair amount of argument on this side of the pond the main point of it is that we should do it - first - to ensure that we can then make the rules for the ethics of these things. After all, I'm all for genetic experimentation if it can eradicate things like Parkinson's and Huntington's and a host of other degenerative genetic conditions which make life hell for people and their families. Designer babies on the other hand is a horrible idea. The concept of getting there "before China" and making international laws on what is allowed and what isn't, appeals to a big sector of the scientific community. After all, like you said, it's going to happen at some point.

How smart it is to make a wild colony of mammoth, on the other hand, remains to be seen.

• Like 1
  • Site Moderator

What's got a trunk, ivory, and four legs?

AN OLD PIANO IN A TREE! You were gonna say a great woolly mammoth, weren't you?!

Yep!! lol

Edited by Reader1810

How far along are we in IVF of Southern White Rhinos and other critically endangered species?

No idea, but I hope someone might get a successful run going of that supplement which apparently turns ivory pink (and thus useless to poachers) but doesn't affect the animal at all.