Notifications

Go to solution Solved by Myr,

• Site Administrator
  • Solution

Notifications are no longer something you can delete.  The system handles that.

I've updated some settings with notifications so you can make some adjustments to how you get alerts:

https://www.gayauthors.org/forums/notifications/options/

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Myr said:

Notifications are no longer something you can delete.  The system handles that.

Does this mean that when you click on the notifications, Marked as Read then in time the system will erase them for us? as there are no check boxes to save those notifications we want to keep.

• Site Administrator

You can't pick and choose which notifications to keep, no. I'd recommend having them emailed to you on a daily or weekly email if you fear you're going to miss something.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Timothy M. said:

I'm no longer getting an email notification when someone sends me a PM on GA. I've tried to look at my Notifications settings, but I can't find out where I've gone wrong. Can someone help, please? It's not urgent. 

I'm not receiving  emails from GA anymore. My emailbox is feeling all empty

• Like 2

Hi all, Will the toggle's for the Story section be activated so we can use the items within? At the moment I receive a large number of notifications that are flooding my mail box on here and I certainly don't want that volume of notifications flooding my email account.  I have only the Receive notifications from people I follow ie AUTHORS set but when one of these authors post anything at all I get it, NO OFFENSE to the authors but I dont really want to read everything they post but I do want to know  when a new chapter to a story I am following is posted. I really would like the toggle for " Notify me when a chapter for a story I follow" is activated. also before the upgrade I could delete any of these notifications now I have about 4 pages of them that the system is not clearing automatically as I was told in an earlier posting.  It seems that the only way around this is to unfollow everyone on here. Can anyone help or am I not seeing something???

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Jeff1 said:

Hi all, Will the toggle's for the Story section be activated so we can use the items within? At the moment I receive a large number of notifications that are flooding my mail box on here and I certainly don't want that volume of notifications flooding my email account.  I have only the Receive notifications from people I follow ie AUTHORS set but when one of these authors post anything at all I get it, NO OFFENSE to the authors but I dont really want to read everything they post but I do want to know  when a new chapter to a story I am following is posted. I really would like the toggle for " Notify me when a chapter for a story I follow" is activated. also before the upgrade I could delete any of these notifications now I have about 4 pages of them that the system is not clearing automatically as I was told in an earlier posting.  It seems that the only way around this is to unfollow everyone on here. Can anyone help or am I not seeing something???

Thanks.

Normally you would update your preferences in MANAGE FOLLOWED OPTIONS, so you would set notifications for followed stories and turn off notifications from followed authors. Logically, that would give you what you, and probably everybody wants. But it's not working, the notifications for followed authors gives an error. You will have to hang on a bit until these teething problems get resolved.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

@Jeff1 I, literally, just answered that 2 posts up!

1. We know there are a lot of options that are grayed out so members can't change the settings. Staff can't either.
  2. We do not know why yet.
  3. It is on our list to fix.

I don't know how we can make this clearer.

2 hours ago, Lisa said:

I don't get the emails for the PMs either, Tim.

Nobody does, Lisa, but it's not a big deal, since I check in here almost every day, anyway. Mainly I feel sorry for the Admin for having another bad bug to sort out.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Cia said:

@Jeff1 I, literally, just answered that 2 posts up!

1. We know there are a lot of options that are grayed out so members can't change the settings. Staff can't either.
  2. We do not know why yet.
  3. It is on our list to fix.

I don't know how we can make this clearer.

You will keep getting the same messages about things not working because nobody will plough through all the messages here, which are in no kind of order.

There is the SITE UPGRADE INFORMATION blog stuck at the top of every page on the site - I suggest to make it clearer you rename that and call it: IF SOMETHING DOESN'T WORK CLICK HERE FIRST

underneath it could say - list of all known problems.

Site Upgrade Information as a blog title just doesn't do it - doesn't draw people to look there if something is not working. You could also clear out or archive all the multitude of messages here.

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, William King said:

You will keep getting the same messages about things not working because nobody will plough through all the messages here, which are in no kind of order.

There is the SITE UPGRADE INFORMATION blog stuck at the top of every page on the site - I suggest to make it clearer you rename that and call it: IF SOMETHING DOESN'T WORK CLICK HERE FIRST

underneath it could say - list of all known problems.

Site Upgrade Information as a blog title just doesn't do it - doesn't draw people to look there if something is not working. You could also clear out or archive all the multitude of messages here.

At least William has a has the SAVVY to say it as it is. If the upgrade had been given more thought before it was implemented maybe so many questions would not keep being asked instead its throw it out there and wait for the complaints to come in and then we know whats wrong. If that's the case with so many members you will always get copy questions Yes you HAD to change the site with the reductions with plug-ins that servers etc are cutting down, yes its nice to have a fresh site, NO its not nice having pages and pages which are NOT being cleared as we were told would happen automatically or emails full of notifications from people that we follow mainly JUST FOR THEIR STORY, when we also get flooded with all their other notifications as well. William has given a VALID suggestion have a Known Problem Section and also a Problem Solved Section, which will more than likely be empty, be introduced. Try reading every question, see how long it takes, many answers don't even apply to the question asked or the answer doesn't work because the site is not able to save changes. So expect to get many more copy questions because many readers are not daily visitors and will come on here every so often and it will be their FIRST TIME, .......................More Questions. So don't get ratty with the members, who are kept in the dark and have to listen to several people telling them different things and nothing happens.

• Site Administrator
5 hours ago, Jeff1 said:

At least William has a has the SAVVY to say it as it is. If the upgrade had been given more thought before it was implemented maybe so many questions would not keep being asked instead its throw it out there and wait for the complaints to come in and then we know whats wrong. If that's the case with so many members you will always get copy questions Yes you HAD to change the site with the reductions with plug-ins that servers etc are cutting down, yes its nice to have a fresh site, NO its not nice having pages and pages which are NOT being cleared as we were told would happen automatically or emails full of notifications from people that we follow mainly JUST FOR THEIR STORY, when we also get flooded with all their other notifications as well. William has given a VALID suggestion have a Known Problem Section and also a Problem Solved Section, which will more than likely be empty, be introduced. Try reading every question, see how long it takes, many answers don't even apply to the question asked or the answer doesn't work because the site is not able to save changes. So expect to get many more copy questions because many readers are not daily visitors and will come on here every so often and it will be their FIRST TIME, .......................More Questions. So don't get ratty with the members, who are kept in the dark and have to listen to several people telling them different things and nothing happens.

Try reading every question? I do. That's how I know we're answering them over and over again. My post was 2 answers up from your question. You didn't even scan the page you were commenting on to see if this was a recent problem that might have already been mentioned. We've posted blogs, we've posted status updates, we've posted topics, we've answered questions, we've worked on the bugs, we've worked on the FAQ system, we've worked on... well, everything.

And, guess what? We've worked on our real lives too. No staff member on GA simply lives to work on GA.  We all have other jobs. Families. Responsibilities. We're spread out across the world and time zones. We work together via Skype, offline message, email, and we face many of the same issues members do on the site when it comes to communicating with each other and the programmer who created GA Stories--who doesn't happen to be a staff member. Because that bit of software is custom designed to meet the requests members have made, rather than some software we could try to go out and find or use like the old eFiction model, it is far harder to create and integrate into a website that we do pay to use from IP Board. Until we had a fully operational system, a lot of these bugs didn't crop up or weren't something that could fixed.

We've done our due diligence. We've communicated, we continue to communicate while we spend hours upon hours of work trying to handle what people are complaining about as well as legitimate bugs, and trying to fix things you guys don't even see that are happening behind the scenes. We don't get paid. The vast majority of people 'who come on here every so often and it will be their FIRST TIME' enjoy what we've worked hard to do--for free--and yet it's too hard to put in a tiny bit of effort? All we ask is that you spend some time trying to see if someone else already asked your questions, which, I promise, is a fraction of the time we're spending checking every topic, every PM, and every support request to try to actually answer them.

• Like 5
  • Site Administrator

Oh, and as for the whole 'asking a question/showing known answers'. Have you noticed the original poster's comment stays pinned at the top of each topic? Have you noticed the check mark on a post that gets lit up when it's clicked on as the 'answer' to the question on the follow up posts? Have you noticed the arrows that point up and down, that members can vote to move up an answer or move down an answer based on the information provided? How about how the topic then shows a check mark in the forum itself, showing that it's been answered?

That would be the set up for asking a question and marking it answered. But people still have to read the topics and posts if they want to make an effort to 1) see if the question has been asked 2) see if their question is the same and it's been answered and 3) create a new topic if their particular question hasn't been asked.

• Like 3

Is anybody getting notifications for comments posted on chapters (your own or those of stories you follow) ?

I've checked Myr's bug list, but it's not mentioned. I have the feeling somebody reported it already, but I'm not sure.

I'm getting notifications for chapter likes but not comments.

Emails for PMs are now arriving as usual. Thank you for fixing that. :2thumbs:

• Site Moderator
49 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:

Is anybody getting notifications for comments posted on chapters (your own or those of stories you follow) ?

I've checked Myr's bug list, but it's not mentioned. I have the feeling somebody reported it already, but I'm not sure.

I'm getting notifications for chapter likes but not comments.

Emails for PMs are now arriving as usual. Thank you for fixing that. :2thumbs:

I was until I chose the following setting in the a Notifications menu.

• Method to use for content I follow automatically
    • A notification when new content is posted
    • One email per day with all new content from that day
    • One email per week with all new content from that week
    • Do not send me notifications
I still get Notifications for things related to me, but not for chapter reviews of stories I follow or for chapter reviews/likes of members I follow. So far, it seems to be working this way. Also, I created my own Activity Stream and am adjusting the options as I discover what I am following or not following. 
  • Like 1
30 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

I was until I chose the following setting in the a Notifications menu.

I still get Notifications for things related to me, but not for chapter reviews of stories I follow or for chapter reviews/likes of members I follow. So far, it seems to be working this way. Also, I created my own Activity Stream and am adjusting the options as I discover what I am following or not following. 

I can't see what setting you chose. I have the top one marked (A notification when new content is posted.)

I have green check marks for these three items here https://www.gayauthors.org/notifications/options/

New content for things I follow

Someone comments on something I follow

Notify me when a review is posted to a story I like

Now, I admit I don't follow my own stories (didn't have to before), but I do follow and like Morningstar, and there were no notifications about comments posted to Monday's chapter.

I would also like to stress that I'm not complaining, but simply asking whether this bug is already reported - or whether other people experience the same. If not, there might be some advice on how to toggle my settings in order to get notifications. I dread overlooking comments made to my stories, especially if it relates to chapters which are already on page 2 of comments & replies.

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Site Moderator
6 minutes ago, Timothy M. said:
35 minutes ago, Reader1810 said:

I can't see what setting you chose. I have the top one marked (A notification when new content is posted.)

Apologies Tim, I just noticed that my selection was lost when I copied it. It's the one in blue. Everything else in the Notifications is unchecked. That may change as time goes by, but for now, this one option is what is working for me.

Edited by Reader1810
  • Like 1
  • Site Moderator

I checked the "Look here first list" and found a reference to the bug I'm posting about. 

I found the toggle switch for favourite authors and turned  it on, but I'm still not seeing my favourite authors in my profile. Favourite stories worked just fine. I tried re following authors to see if this made a difference as well as adding a couple of new authors to the list - still nothing, and yet, the toggle switch is clearly in the "on" position. While I can live without this list on my profile, I see it as a kind of shout out to the authors I like, so it would be nice to give them some 'credit' if you will.

Macbook Air, OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.5., Google Chrome browser

• Site Administrator
18 hours ago, Reader1810 said:

I checked the "Look here first list" and found a reference to the bug I'm posting about. 

I found the toggle switch for favourite authors and turned  it on, but I'm still not seeing my favourite authors in my profile. Favourite stories worked just fine. I tried re following authors to see if this made a difference as well as adding a couple of new authors to the list - still nothing, and yet, the toggle switch is clearly in the "on" position. While I can live without this list on my profile, I see it as a kind of shout out to the authors I like, so it would be nice to give them some 'credit' if you will.

Macbook Air, OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.5., Google Chrome browser

This should be working. You went here: https://www.gayauthors.org/stories/settings/ and toggled all the switches for favorite stories and authors to green? Made sure you hit save?