Contrast button

Go to solution Solved by Graeme,

For clarification, what is the contrast button (menu option on reading stories) supposed to do? 

On my tablet it changes from black text on a white background to white text on a black background. With the latter the menu options, next chapter, previous chapter (top right and top left) are practically invisible because they are in colours that do not show up against a black background. Is this how it is supposed to be? 

• Site Administrator
  • Solution

I believe the change to the story text/background is the intent. Some people find white on black easier to read.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Hi William,

Unfortunately, when changing the contrast on a page, getting everything to look visible can be difficult. Most text can be made 'automatic' so that it's responsive to program's changes when the background is changed to contrast mode (both online and in eBooks), but link text is typically locked to a set color. If we made the link text lighter so it's better visible on dark backgrounds, then it would appear too light on the standard light background. If we make it look dark to stand out better on a lighter background, it would appear even harder to see in the contrast mode. By keeping the blue link text sort of 'middle of the road', then it helps *most* people be able to see it in either situation.

The only other option is to create a highlight bar around the link text, or make them link buttons, that wouldn't change with the background, but I do not know if that's feasible.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Graeme said:

I believe the change to the story text/background is the intent. Some people find white on black easier to read.

Being one of the "some people" for me the button is a blessing.

I often copied and pasted a story in Word, so I would be able to read white letters on a dark background.

No need for that anymore: one click is enough for relaxed reading.

Bravo !

• Like 4