Stellar's Fan Club

What's next? -- After Veil of Shadow

What should Stellar do next?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What should Stellar do next?

• Book Three
    • Fantasy Novel
    • Miscellaneous Fluff
    • Something else?? (Please specify what)

So, the second book is done -- finally.

I'm in the position now where I don't know what to go on with next. For any author with a smidgen of creativity, the possibilities are basically infinite. However, there are some definite probabilities as far as I'm concerned, and I'd like to lay those down here.

1. Book Three. It's natural that readers would want to know what happens next, since this series is 99% of my GA content. However, it's worth taking a step back to get a balanced perspective. Don't get me wrong, I loved it to bits, but there was a ridiculous amount of work involved in writing a book like Veil of Shadow. It ate three years of my life and was burning a hole in my brain for a lot of that time. So, while I do want to complete the trilogy, I am wary of charging directly into what will be another all-consuming project that will probably take until at least 2018 to be done. Ambivalence is the key word for how I feel about this one.
  2. Fantasy Novel. Since some time in 2015 I was making notes for a modern fantasy novel, during the writing of Veil. It would have plenty of action and epic moments, as well as the familiar theme of young gay love, albeit much more troublesome and darker than Shay's fairytale romance. I have a plot, characters and backstory already well prepared. All this one needs is for me to sit down and begin.
  3. Miscellaneous Fluff. There's two parts to this one. The 'miscellaneous' bit is a collection of chapter length short stories set in Hidden Sunlight's future that I want to write. It's tangential stuff related to minor characters or events that was not appropriate or required to be part of the series narrative, but for keen fans it may fill in some background blanks and give some more context. If this were a movie, think of it as DVD bonus features with some deleted scenes. The 'fluff' refers to Shay and Mira being stupidly boring and domestic, doing fluffy couple type stuff and spending a lot of time together. Also ... sex. A lot of sex. There have been many times during all the high drama and big events where I just sat there thinking: 'I want to give them a break, so they can watch movies in bed, eat their favourite foods and fuck like rabbits for at least a week.' This is an opportunity for that!

Also, this isn't so much an option as something that will be happening in my spare time, but Hidden Sunlight is going to receive a tweak and a polish, particularly the early chapters, so it is more in line with my later style. I was simply waiting for the GA upgrade to happen before I began doing this. 

SO .... dear readers, what would you like to see? I posed a similar question to this on my profile a month or two back and got precisely zero replies. This is a little baffling,  because there are enough people following both me and my books for there to be plenty of opinions. I want to know those opinions! Presumably you are reading this thread because you care, and on that note: PLEASE let me know in this thread what you think, or in a private message if you're shy. Tell anyone else you know that reads to do the same. Vote in the poll I'm attaching to this post. Ask me questions if you want! Just don't stay silent. -_-

• Like 2

As a long time follower of your work, I think a change of pace would be good.  You've spent a lot of time and effort on both Hidden Sunlight and Veil of Shadow and I think Mr. Richard is right: You deserve a break.  I also think a change of pace with your fantasy novel would be a good way to showcase your writing abilities in different genres.  Bring on the fantasy!

• Like 3

I'm with the others and with Niraz in particular: I'm just too curious to know what other genre you can write. What I do know is that you have more than a smidgen of imagination so I look forward to seeing what fantasy you would write. 

So I vote for option 2.

• Like 2
On 24/03/2017 at 8:23 PM, DynoReads said:

Take the break and write the other novel. Give yourself a break from the sunlight series.

A break might be a good thing. Thanks for the input!

On 25/03/2017 at 4:01 AM, George Richard said:

You deserve a break--if fluff or the fantasy novel provide that, I'll look forward to reading them. 

Fluff can be a nice interlude, can't it? Thanks for letting me know.

13 hours ago, Niraz said:

As a long time follower of your work, I think a change of pace would be good.  You've spent a lot of time and effort on both Hidden Sunlight and Veil of Shadow and I think Mr. Richard is right: You deserve a break.  I also think a change of pace with your fantasy novel would be a good way to showcase your writing abilities in different genres.  Bring on the fantasy!

Thank you! This fantasy novel might be fun. We'll have to see.

10 hours ago, Bleu said:

I'm with the others and with Niraz in particular: I'm just too curious to know what other genre you can write. What I do know is that you have more than a smidgen of imagination so I look forward to seeing what fantasy you would write. 

So I vote for option 2.

Ah, well, fantasy is as broad a field as science-fiction, but I have something particular in mind. Thanks for your thoughts, Bleu.

WELL -- that's a few opinions, but I'm not yet satisfied. There must be more of you out there, surely. Come on, lurking people -- let me know!

Edited by Stellar
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm still reading Veil of Shadows and I like it a lot and really hope you write the next (last?) one. But if you have a fantasy story that's been forming in your head over the last few years, work on that! Switch things up, but keep your mind engaged. It would be sad if you get burned out and quit writing, so do what keeps you writing. I'm totally selfish that way :*) You're have some great stories and I really hope to read more from you!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 11/04/2017 at 0:08 PM, Meghan E said:

Well, I'm still reading Veil of Shadows and I like it a lot and really hope you write the next (last?) one. But if you have a fantasy story that's been forming in your head over the last few years, work on that! Switch things up, but keep your mind engaged. It would be sad if you get burned out and quit writing, so do what keeps you writing. I'm totally selfish that way :*) You're have some great stories and I really hope to read more from you!

Thank you, you're very kind. :) It's my passion I suppose, and it's looking likely that I will write my fantasy novel since that's what the responses seem to want, few though they are.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

A little late, but I voted for Book 3. Though the new Fantasy one is starting off great.

Aww! I'm sorry to disappoint, but Book 3 is going to be a while. Spirit of Fire will have to fill that void until I can start on the conclusion to the Aspects of Dawn trilogy. I'd encourage you, and anyone else who is so inclined, so read and review it! :) I promise it will be a tale worth your time.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I was thinking about your stories tonight and I accidentally found this discussion. I'm not sure I'd know how to do it again and I want to

offer my thoughts on the matter (as if they do matter):

Do what you have the strongest desire to do. Unless you've signed a contract to complete the trilogy, then take yourself away from it for a

while and do something less engrossing to work on. I can tell by the quality and intensity of your work that it likely absorbs you, and since

you don't seem to do things in half measures, do something for pleasure, -yours that is, and enjoy your talent.  When a project becomes a

burden then it becomes something different than it was before, less pleasant and more like an obligation.

Basically, I'll read anything you publish. Just bring Shay and Mira back when you're ready and don't forget!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Stephen said:

I was thinking about your stories tonight and I accidentally found this discussion. I'm not sure I'd know how to do it again and I want to

offer my thoughts on the matter (as if they do matter):

Do what you have the strongest desire to do. Unless you've signed a contract to complete the trilogy, then take yourself away from it for a

while and do something less engrossing to work on. I can tell by the quality and intensity of your work that it likely absorbs you, and since

you don't seem to do things in half measures, do something for pleasure, -yours that is, and enjoy your talent.  When a project becomes a

burden then it becomes something different than it was before, less pleasant and more like an obligation.

Basically, I'll read anything you publish. Just bring Shay and Mira back when you're ready and don't forget!

Thanks for your response -- all opinions are relevant, even more so here because I get so few offered. If you want to get updates for anything related to this and not simply rely on happy accident, you can follow the forum itself and/or the individual forum thread, just as you can follow a person's profile or a story they've written. It's a great way to keep informed about your favourite authors and their writing.

It's true that I don't do any sort of storytelling by halves, and the scope of Veil of Shadow was ambitious. There were times where writing that second book was extremely frustrating and it did feel somewhat like a burden and an obligation, often for precious little feedback. However, I knew what I was getting myself into when I began the sequel, and abandoning anything when I have invested so much of my energy into it, in spite of difficulties involved, is not in my nature. What I start, I will finish. It is likely the final book of the trilogy will be stressful to produce too, at least in places, but when the time comes I will deal with that as I must -- because I cannot leave that loose end flying in the wind.

However, the decision on what to continue with was actually settled in my head months ago (in April, approximately). I am currently writing a fantasy novel called Spirit of Fire and will not return to the Aspects of Dawn series until after is completed. As of this post, there are two chapters available through that link, and the discussion thread for the story is right here on my forum.

Edited by Stellar
  • Like 3

Though I am anxious for more Shay and Mira action, what I am most interested in is more writing from you, Stellar. So if you feel most comfortable writing that fantasy novel right now, go ahead! I have only read the first two chapters yet and I love it already.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Scary said:

Though I am anxious for more Shay and Mira action, what I am most interested in is more writing from you, Stellar. So if you feel most comfortable writing that fantasy novel right now, go ahead! I have only read the first two chapters yet and I love it already.

Thank you! I'm sure there will be a few disappointed people wanting to know what happens to Earth on the brink of invasion, but that cliff is one that those folks will simply have to hang off for a while longer. There will be no third book until after Spirit of Fire is finished.

• Like 1

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..