MLB Opening Day

I've missed watching baseball, the offseason is way too long for me. My team will start the regular season in Baltimore and I'm looking forward to the warm summer evenings and a few visits to the Rogers Centre. Have I given you enough clues for you to figure out my team? 

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Dodger said:

I've missed watching baseball, the offseason is way too long for me. My team will start the regular season in Baltimore and I'm looking forward to the warm summer evenings and a few visits to the Rogers Centre. Have I given you enough clues for you to figure out my team? 

Actually, Baltimore is playing the Blue Jays in Toronto on opening day based on the way I'm reading the schedule....

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, Daddydavek said:

Actually, Baltimore is playing the Blue Jays in Toronto on opening day based on the way I'm reading the schedule....

Even better, although I won't be catching any games until the summer.

• Like 1

Opening day at last!   It's almost a legal holiday here in St. Loo and there are all kinds of activities planned today and early this evening as the game doesn't start until 7:30 pm local time.  

Image result for GO CARDS

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Daddydavek said:

Opening day at last!   It's almost a legal holiday here in St. Loo and there are all kinds of activities planned today and early this evening as the game doesn't start until 7:30 pm local time.

Yeah, I wish your team well my friend, except when they play the Jays of course! I know exactly what you mean, though because baseball is so much more than just baseball although that probably won't make much sense to anyone outside of North America.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/13/2017 at 10:08 PM, Dodger said:

Looks as if I got it wrong about the Jays. I thought they were gonna pick up where they left off last year. 1 - 8!!! What's happening boys?:,(

Yeah, my Cards can't seem to get it together either....Thank heavens it's a long season and there is still time for them to straighten out and get back to winning ways!

• Like 1
On 4/13/2017 at 8:08 PM, Dodger said:

Looks as if I got it wrong about the Jays. I thought they were gonna pick up where they left off last year. 1 - 8!!! What's happening boys?:,(

Have faith, they had a bit of a tough off-season and people are still coming back. Lots of changes in the off-season as I recall. They'll get their groove soon, things are still being worked into place.

Our jays won't let us down, it'll be another good year to be a Blue Jay's fan.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

As we approach the All Star break in a season that has seen it's share of disappointment, I submit the following 

hommage to Major League Baseball

John Fogarty Centerfield     (With video of some of the legends!)

• Like 3

I'm no longer a fan, but I so remember being a young girl and going to Three Rivers Stadium to see the Pirates. I'd save Town Talk bread bags, and if I recall correctly, with five of them you could get in to see a game. (I bet my youngest would be too mortified and embarrassed to do that.) I was too young to take the bus downtown by myself, so my older brother would take me to the games. lol. As a young girl, it was truly exciting to watch the men who are now legends play ball. I had such a crush on 3rd baseman Richie Hebner. What a goofball I was. :PWillie Stargell was a down to earth gentleman, nothing like the ball players of today. On occasion you would find him mingling with the kids at our local playground. I can still remember sitting on my bed balling my eyes out when they announced Roberto Clemente's tragic death. This song represents a time when baseball really was the American pastime. A time when my dad and others his age would sit listening to the games on the radio. Sitting on the front porch they would discuss with gusto, the play by play action. lol 

Edited by Former Member
  • 1 month later...

As we near the end of August, I see two teams that have really done well despite all the things that happen over a long season.  The National League's LA Dodgers have been phenomenal as have the American League's Houston Astros.  I know under the expanded playoff structure these two teams have somewhat less of a chance to advance to the World Series, and if that happens, it will be sad.  With a little more than a month to go in the 2017 season, the Dodgers already have 91 wins with a 13.5 lead over the Washington Nationals and the Astros have78 wins with a 5 game lead over the Boston Red Sox.  

While I wish my Cards were doing better in the least competitive division in baseball, I cannot help but appreciate the talent I've seen on the Dodgers and the Astros.  

• 1 month later...

Well the divisional playoffs are well in hand with the Dodgers, Houston and Cleveland all within one game of clinching a spot in the League Championships series.   Only the Cubs and Nationals are making a series of it with each having one game in the best of five series.  Today the Houston Astros face the Boston Red Sox in the afternoon game and could clinch.  Likewise, the evening game features the Cleveland Indians against the Yankees and again Cleveland could clinch with a win.  The way Girardi is coaching and then defending his ineptitude, hopefully the Indians can put him and the Yankees out of their misery.

I've said since August that I fully expect the Astros to face the Dodgers in the World Series.  We shall see.  I love October baseball!