Considering that China grows nearly 13 times as much carrots and turnips* as the US, it’s likely that the Sam’s Club carrots came from China. It’s also possible that they were prepared in China and shipped here frozen.

Carrots_of_many_colors.jpg

I saw a YouTube video which showed a wild carrot root. It looked more like a tree root than anything someone would eat. According to Wikipedia, the carrot was originally grown for its aromatic leaves and seeds. Parsley, cilantro/coriander, fennel, dill, and cumin are close relatives and are still grown for their leaves and seeds. Old English did not clearly distinguish between carrots (which were white at the time) and parsnips**. The Moors introduced the carrot to Spain in the 8th century. In the 10th century, the roots were purple. The modern carrot originated in Afghanistan around that time. A Jewish scholar mentioned red and yellow carrots in the 11th century. Cultivated carrots appeared in China in the 14th century and in Japan in the 18th century. Orange carrots appeared in the Netherlands in the 17th century.

*Turnips are related to rutabagas, cabbages, mustards, radishes, broccoli rabe/rapini, bok choy, and Napa Cabbage.

**Parsnips are closely related to carrots as well as parsley. Parsnips were used as a source of sugar before cane and beet sugars became available. Parsnips were replaced by potatoes as a main source of starch.

Edited by Former Member
5 hours ago, droughtquake said:

Considering that China grows nearly 13 times as much carrots and turnips*, it’s likely that the Sam’s Club carrots came from China. It’s also possible that they were prepared in China and shipped here frozen.

Carrots_of_many_colors.jpg

I saw a YouTube video which showed a wild carrot root. It looked more like a tree root than anything someone would eat. According to Wikipedia, the carrot was originally grown for its aromatic leaves and seeds. Parsley, cilantro/coriander, fennel, dill, and cumin are close relatives and are still grown for their leaves and seeds. Old English did not clearly distinguish between carrots (which were white at the time) and parsnips**. The Moors introduced the carrot to Spain in the 8th century. In the 10th century, the roots were purple. The modern carrot originated in Afghanistan around that time. A Jewish scholar mentioned red and yellow carrots in the 11th century. Cultivated carrots appeared in China in the 14th century and in Japan in the 18th century. Orange carrots appeared in the Netherlands in the 17th century.

*Turnips are related to rutabagas, cabbages, mustards, radishes, broccoli rabe/rapini, bok choy, and Napa Cabbage.

**Parsnips are closely related to carrots as well as parsley. Parsnips were used as a source of sugar before cane and beet sugars became available. Parsnips were replaced by potatoes as a main source of starch.

We have wild carrots on our meadows, were the horses are. In the moment it is wonderful, they blooming white and the horses wade through them. It is true, the roots look more like normals tree roots, but they would be eatable, if one cares to pick them. Maybe I can take a picture today. I often pick greenery from the wilderness to eat, it is fun and there is so many things you can pick, if you know for what to look for. 

Google "flavored whiskey" and hold on to your seat. 

I'm guessing that some of them are inspired by liqueurs (e.g. Drambuie or Southern Comfort) while cutting back on the sweetness.  Others are just trying to be trendy.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Bucket1 said:

A question for our Canadian friends, is Maple Whiskey a real thing?

https://simplyfreshdinners.com/2017/03/maple-whiskey-laced-bbq-meatballs.html

Never heard of it before and definitely not mentioning it to some purist whiskey drinkers I know

53 minutes ago, blake_logan said:

Google "flavored whiskey" and hold on to your seat. 

I'm guessing that some of them are inspired by liqueurs (e.g. Drambuie or Southern Comfort) while cutting back on the sweetness.  Others are just trying to be trendy.

Never heard of Maple Whiskey either, but Fireball Whiskey is awesome. The cinnamon flavor mixes great with Mountain Dew, or Pepsi. (Which is why I like the new Pepsi Fire.)

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

Never heard of Maple Whiskey either, but Fireball Whiskey is awesome. The cinnamon flavor mixes great with Mountain Dew, or Pepsi. (Which is why I like the new Pepsi Fire.)

Have bottle of maple whiskey in the cabinet.. it's nice i drink it straight.. but not in huge amounts..

• Like 2
Just now, BHopper2 said:

I wonder what it would taste like, if you mixed Maple Whiskey with Fireball Whiskey?

let us know..LOL

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

I wonder what it would taste like, if you mixed Maple Whiskey with Fireball Whiskey?

20 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

let us know..LOL

After you recover LOL 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, BHopper2 said:

26 minutes ago, Mikiesboy said:

let us know..LOL

6 minutes ago, Caz Pedroso said:

After you recover LOL 

Should only take 2, or 10 shots.

• Like 1

I’m eating leftovers from something I made last week. It was a simplified version of something my mother used to make often – there were many variations. She’d start by browning meat (usually very lean ground beef, but sometimes very lean pork – I don’t remember her needing to skim off fat, but she might have). If it was ground beef, she’d try to break it down as much as she could (I think her ideal would have been to crumble it down to rice-sized particles, but I preferred larger chunks). She’d add soy sauce and a little bit of sugar (sometimes miso with pork, or mirin) and pretty much whatever vegetables were in the refrigerator and she loved green onions. Tofu was also a common ingredient. This was all cooked in a skillet on top of the stove. But it’s not a stir-fry.

I don’t have much in the kitchen, so my version only had the ground beef, soy sauce, a little sugar, and napa cabbage. I hated all the onions my mother cooked with, so I do not keep onions in my kitchen. Now that I’ve made it for the first time, I think I’ll make it again, but I’ll add a few more ingredients, probably mushrooms and spinach or snap peas.

Of course, it was always served with steamed white rice, but my aunt would sometimes use brown rice or ½ white and ½ brown rice (just mix them thoroughly before you make it in a rice cooker).

After talking yesterday about ice cream, I think, it is time for an easy ice cream recipe.

Take 500g frozen strawberries and mix them 100 ml cream and 200 g plain yogurt, 150g sugar and a bit of lemon juice and vanilla syrup. Put everything in an electric blender and start mixing.

The frozen strawberries will make it ice cream at once. Of course you can use every other frozen berry or fruit as well.

:) Lyssa

Edited by Lyssa