Newest Newsletter Game: Pick Two

1 minute ago, Defiance19 said:

Me either, I'm done just need to tweak it a bit and get a final ok from my trusty sidekick.... 

:)

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator

Well you need to have something. It doesn't have to be something legit. "Crazy Little Story" would work, for example. :P

• Like 5
On 10.5.2017 at 6:52 AM, Cia said:
  • You need to post them as part of a flash fiction collection. No 'stories' under 1k can be posted by themselves unless they're part of a site anthology event so you post them in a single story with each chapter labeled with the flash fiction title. For example, my flash fiction collection is titled, " Dribbles". If you're starting a new collection make sure you uncheck the 'Publish immediately' box for BOTH the story and the chapter and set the date and time to June 4th. If you're posting a new chapter to your existing flash fiction collection, just make sure you uncheck that publish immediately box and set the date/time before saving the 'chapter'.
  • Please don't set it for earlier than 4 AM Eastern Time, since that is the earliest the newsletter goes out.
  • Give your story a title for fun, and you can put in a story note indicating it's part of the newsletter game, but please don't use the title of the game for your chapter title.
  • Please have the story done and posted, unpublished and post-dated for June 4th, by June 3rd.
  • Once you've posted your story/chapter, please send me a PM with a link to it (copied from the url in the address bar) so I can make sure I get your title and link to the story to feature in the newsletter that day.

Let me know if you guys have any more questions! :) 

I have so many questions, first of all I never posted anything in the story section.  Having poet status, can I post stories at all? And second, how to do this? I read the advises, but it was so much, that half way through I got stuck with translating and remembering everything at the same time.

• Site Administrator
4 hours ago, aditus said:

It's about 700-800 words...damn. Do I have to chop it?

Yep, sorry! The fun of this game is to make it short, short, short! That's why I said it doesn't have to be a complete story, just enough of a scene to give readers the general gist.

15 hours ago, Lyssa said:

I have so many questions, first of all I never posted anything in the story section.  Having poet status, can I post stories at all? And second, how to do this? I read the advises, but it was so much, that half way through I got stuck with translating and remembering everything at the same time.

Hi Lyssa. Yes, you can post "Stories" as a poet, because if you post poetry, you must do it in a collection. Collection just means that when you go in to submit, in the title you will place something that indicates this isn't a serial story but a collection of short works, most likely unrelated to each other. For instance, my 'collection' is title Dribbles. I then put in the description that it's where I will post my short fiction pieces with various prompts. Then, I added the title of the flash fiction piece to the chapter title, put the prompt info to the chapter note, then the actual flash piece into the chapter text box, then saved it. After that, whenever I've done a new flash fiction piece, I go to that same story and just add each new piece as a chapter. You can see this here with Dribbles. Also, if you're still confused about how to fill out the submission form, please visit our FAQ though the Help tab in the red menu bar or visit GA's YouTube channel for some how-to videos.

• Like 2
  • Site Administrator
29 minutes ago, Cia said:

Yep, sorry! The fun of this game is to make it short, short, short! That's why I said it doesn't have to be a complete story, just enough of a scene to give readers the general gist.

Uh oh... I need to do some chopping myself, then!  lol 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Cia said:

Okay...chop chop 497 words. I'll leave the title even though there is no cherry pie in that part...I might write some more later.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Puppilull said:

The length has been an issue for me too. I think I got it to acceptable amount of words... 

Quick and dirty...;)

• Like 4

I'll tell you that this wasn't an easy thing to do. I did what I could with the words I had to use, a bit of humor seemed the best course of action, and the story is off for a look-see. Until June 4th, fellow writers!

• Like 5
6 hours ago, Ron said:

I'll tell you that this wasn't an easy thing to do. I did what I could with the words I had to use, a bit of humor seemed the best course of action, and the story is off for a look-see. Until June 4th, fellow writers!

I'm really sorry. Can't wait to read what you did with my words.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator

Finished and uploaded :D According to Word, the word count is 500 exactly, although when I posted it, 503 is the count.  So I say close enough. ;)  So on Sunday, be prepared to find out what the famous actor Davey Bishop finds when he opens his door. :D 

• Like 4

OK, about to post and postdate. Then it hits me. Time zones... Despite having a friend who circles the globe constantly and getting ample training in figuring out what time it is where he is, I really don't know what time 4 AM Eastern time is to me. If I set the post dating to 5 AM, is that my time or what time? I can't find an answer anywhere... 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Puppilull said:

OK, about to post and postdate. Then it hits me. Time zones... Despite having a friend who circles the globe constantly and getting ample training in figuring out what time it is where he is, I really don't know what time 4 AM Eastern time is to me. If I set the post dating to 5 AM, is that my time or what time? I can't find an answer anywhere... 

Woops, totally missed that.

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator
Just now, aditus said:

Woops, totally missed that.

Me too.  I set it to 9:00 am EST, I believe.  I'll change it when I get a chance.  @Puppilull Sweden is six hours ahead of EST, so 4:00 am EST would be 10:00 am for you.  

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Puppilull said:

EST in the US is UTC -5(4 in in Daylight Savings). So, find your UTC, Add 5 or 4 to it, and add that to 4:00 am.

Just now, Valkyrie said:

Me too.  I set it to 9:00 am EST, I believe.  I'll change it when I get a chance.  @Puppilull Sweden is six hours ahead of EST, so 4:00 am EST would be 10:00 am for you.  

This should be correct. :2thumbs:

• Like 1
  • Site Administrator
Just now, Puppilull said:

@Valkyrie But is the post dating on EST? Should I put 4 AM or my time (10 AM) in those boxes?

That I have no idea.  I assumed it was EST since I didn't see an option to change the time zone.  I'm sure @Cia will weigh in with the correct answer. :) 

• Like 2